Second shard on Nalthis

the.fulgid

I'm currently re-reading Warbreaker, and I'm starting to think that there might be more than one shard on Nalthis. A number of bits in this are going to be somewhat spoilery, so bear that in mind if you haven't finished this book. What we know for sure:

• Endowment is present
  • The holder is female
  • Breath is fueled by her power, much like the small part of Preservation in all life of Scadrial
  • She creates splinters of her power to imbue Returned for unknown reasons
  • The Tears of Edgli are somehow related, possibly similar to the mists on Scadrial

Something I've noticed during this read is that the main characters tend to trust those whom they should not, and ignore, fear, and reject those who are trying to help make things better. For example:

• Siri explicitly trusts Bluefingers, but fears Susebron and rejects his priests. However, Bluefingers turns out to be our main villain, Susebron is as innocent as a child, and the priests actually have the kingdom's best interests in mind.
  • Vivenna trusts Denth, even though he told her up front he was there to kill her, but fears and rejects Vasher as she would a villain. However, quite the opposite is true.
  • Lightsong doesn't trust anyone, not even himself. But those he associates with genuinely care about him, and of all the court he actually does have a divine purpose for Returning.

All of those things might just be part of the writing style, and how the kingdom operates. We are a product of our experiences, and maybe those exact same events would play out no matter which world the characters were on. However, we've seen a similar influence on Taldain. It has been confirmed that Bavadin is there, and he holds the shard of Autonomy. It's expressed in the actions of the people, wanting to be independent. To take charge and assert themselves. We also see it on Roshar, with the Knights Radiant.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a second shard on Nalthis related to Deception or Mistrust. Some kind of influence causing people to act the way they do. Are there any credible sources that deny the possibility of more shards on that world, or is this a possibility? Thoughts?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a poor judge of character is a poor judge of character.  Also note that all of the people you think have been interfered with have quite reasonable reasons for their mistrust.  Except Vivenna.  Poor, stupid, Princess Vivenna.  Although even she has an excuse in that Denth had presented a genial, if strange, face to her and Vasher, well, stood around glaring at her holding an odd sword.  

EDIT: However, and perhaps more importantly, there's no extra magic systems that would speak to an extra shard warping Investiture around them.  

Edited by Landis963

Blaze1616: That's a pretty clear cut, I guess. Is that on Theoryland? Or do you at least have a link? Not that I disbelieve, I just like to read more on everything I can find.

Landis963: I will agree, they all have great reason for their mistrust, and Vivenna is quite ridiculous in everything she does (though, I have to admit my heart breaks for her more than any character I have ever read, I think). But all the characters of Taldain have great reason to be autonomous, not just because their emotions or mentalities are being warped. That's why I didn't immediately dismiss the idea.

You are correct though, there would likely be a second magic system related to the second shard holder. But, like Ruin and Preservation, there's no reason they couldn't be so similar that it's hard to distinguish unless you know what to look for. Or like on Sel, where magic manifests in different ways in different parts of the world.

I think Blaze1616 pretty much puts it to rest, though.

Or would there? I think Autonomy is Endowment's 'opposite', much like Preservation and Ruin. Endowment is all about giving to others, Autonomy is all about doing it by yourself. If anything, Autonomy's magic system would likely rely on innate Investiture, such as Vasher's Memory Commands, which only requires one Breath.

Blaze1616: That's a pretty clear cut, I guess. Is that on Theoryland? Or do you at least have a link? Not that I disbelieve, I just like to read more on everything I can find.

Blaze1616's quote comes from the Cosmere Q&A from September 2012.

Or would there? I think Autonomy is Endowment's 'opposite', much like Preservation and Ruin. Endowment is all about giving to others, Autonomy is all about doing it by yourself. If anything, Autonomy's magic system would likely rely on innate Investiture, such as Vasher's Memory Commands, which only requires one Breath.

I'd have to disagree here. If anything I would say Dominion is Autonomy's opposite (a freedom / oppression comparison).

Edited by Iron Eyes

• Chaos locked this topic