[Theory] AonDor Initiation through Name

Yata

This is my theory for the reason about the only people of specific location (ex. Arelon and Duladel) are take from the Shaod.

Before of this I had to remember some of the Realmatic aspect of the Cosmere.

- The Cognitive aspect of someone (or something) is build about how is views and how he views himself.

- The Spiritual aspect is a set of connection (less or more strong) with other Spiritual Aspect (place,time, idea, people, religion,ecc...)

- On Sel there is just one "magic system" and the many forms that take are just different use of the same magic system.

Now at the true Theory (that is specific of AonDor but can probably works with all the Selish way to use the Dor):

I suppose the reason of only the right cultures have a chance to be take by the Shaod, is because their people have an Aon in their name.

This simply fact put a minimal connection through the Spiritual Realm to the AonDor (something like bein a Scadiran give a little connection to Preservation).

Growing with that name a people "imprint" that Aon as part of self in his Cognitive Aspect that improve his conncection to the AonDor.

This theory works pretty well with all the Selish magic system (just remove "Aon" and put "Alphabeth of X") but has some problem with the AonDor without any other fact.... The AonDor is strange, is bein manipulate to offer much power of any other Selish Magic, using Elantris as a "super boost".

I suppose that before Elantris was made any people with Aon-name and the right connection with the AonDor may use this magic (As seems to happen with the other selish magic).

But for some reason they decided to concentrate the AonDor in a more mighty form. And any people with the "enough strong" connection was take by the Shaod and become Elantrian.

Any though about this theory ? Pro or Contros ?

Galladon, IIRC, does not have an Aon in his name, and yet he was taken by the Shaod.  

damnation You right ! Unless Galladon isn't his real name or he already has a strong connection to Elatris to his father or the simply living within the City.

I am trying to find a more "sure" correlation..

I think the name doesn't matter. People are taken by the Shaod if they are devoted to something, whether its farming, politics, sculpting, or anything else. The Shaod isn't picky. As for birthplace, I think that if a Arelish person was raised in MaiPong, they would, assuming they entered whatever they use to teach Forgers, be able to use Forgery.

I think the name doesn't matter. People are taken by the Shaod if they are devoted to something, whether its farming, politics, sculpting, or anything else. The Shaod isn't picky. As for birthplace, I think that if a Arelish person was raised in MaiPong, they would, assuming they entered whatever they use to teach Forgers, be able to use Forgery.

But 1) the soul connection to MaiPon would be too strong for said Arelene to be taken by the Shaod in the first place, and 2) the stamps wouldn't work in Elantris even if an Arelene trained in Forgery was taken by the Shaod.   

Edited by Landis963

• 1 month later...

But 1) the soul connection to MaiPon would be too strong for said Arelene to be taken by the Shaod in the first place, and 2) the stamps wouldn't work in Elantris even if an Arelene trained in Forgery was taken by the Shaod.   

I do not think his point is that an Arelon would become an Elantrian and forger. I think he was saying that even if you are ethnically Arelon, if you are born in maipon you could become a forger. Galladon is semi the exception due to Duladel's nearness to Arelon and I think how it used to be considered part of it (trying to recall, been awhile since I read Elantris)

The act of creating a soulstamp doesn't require MaiPonese ancestry, as the Shaod does.  Anyone can pick up a bit of wood and a bull point chisel and make a stamp out of it.  The problem comes in when you try and activate your magic stamp.  If you stray too far from MaiPon before stamping anything, it won't take.  

EDIT: And Galladon was eligible for the Shaod because 1) his father was Elantrian, so he had clear ties to Arelon, and 2) Duladel is within the area described by Aon Mea.  

Edited by Landis963

The act of creating a soulstamp doesn't require MaiPonese ancestry, as the Shaod does.  Anyone can pick up a bit of wood and a bull point chisel and make a stamp out of it.  The problem comes in when you try and activate your magic stamp.  If you stray too far from MaiPon before stamping anything, it won't take.  

EDIT: And Galladon was eligible for the Shaod because 1) his father was Elantrian, so he had clear ties to Arelon, and 2) Duladel is within the area described by Aon Mea.  

I could have sworn there was WoB that stated birth place was a biggie with soulstamping too. Guess I was wrong. 

• Chaos locked this topic