(Group) AMA w/ Brandon and Others on Dec 3

Argent

Haha, the man is unstoppable, he is going to take over the AMA and keep it alive for another 6 months! :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/3va8fw/day_4_group_ama_in_support_of_worldbuilders/cxrynqe?context=10000

Q: How important is Intent to Hemalurgy? If two people who didn't know about Hemalurgy were running and tripped, falling perfectly onto a spike, would Hemalurgy occur? What about if it was a sick psychopath who liked stabbing people with spikes instead of an accident?

Would the planet these events occurred on matter?
A: Location is not relevant to most of the magics.
As for those specifics of Hemalurgy, I will RAFO for now.

Q: We know that the Stormfather is a Cognitive shadow and is also acting as a spren for Dalinar but is he able to do that because the "unusual sequence of events" took place or is there something else going on specific to the nature of the Stormfather?

A: RAFO. :)

Q: If Kelsier became a 'spren' for a Radiant, would they grant Surgebinding or Allomancy?
A: RAFO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/3va8fw/day_4_group_ama_in_support_of_worldbuilders/cxslnns?context=10000

Q: So... CS question here, I'm seeing identity as essentially a 'encryption' on the metalmind - the spike has the decryption key to existing metalminds, but when you encrypt a new one you use your personal encryption key with the spike's hardware, so you still have compounding access to the metalminds even after removing the spike.

Is it possible for there to be a 'key collision' with Identity? Two people just randomly end up making compatible metalminds, because the pieces of their Identities that the magic looks like happen to be the same.
A: This would be about as likely as two unrelated people ending up with the exact same genetic sequence.
But, so far as I understand, that WOULD be possible.

Sooo... Identity and Spiritweb are closely related.

So does this mean that Elantrians (before Raoden finished the chasm line) are like mistwraiths?

https://www.reddit.c...l?context=10000

Q: Dumb personal-obsession question - mistwraiths are people with 'a blockage between the physical and the cognitive realms' - does that mean if they set foot on threnody they turn into actual undead-type-wraiths?
A: This is a very cool theory. I don't think I can shoot it down.

The Reod and the Mistwrath are two really different things.

The Mistwrath are (Immortal-Shapeshifing) People with a Blockage between the Physical and Cognitive realm in thier own aspects in the realms.

The (Reod) Elantrian are People with an ongoing trasformation but their Physical and Cognitive Aspect have no problem at all.

The Reod and the Mistwrath are two really different things.

The Mistwrath are (Immortal-Shapeshifing) People with a Blockage between the Physical and Cognitive realm in thier own aspects in the realms.

The (Reod) Elantrian are People with an ongoing trasformation but their Physical and Cognitive Aspect have no problem at all.

Yes, but the missing chasm line in Aons made the Dor unable to fully transform people.

The Dor is located in the Cognitive realm, so you could say that the Reod caused a blockage between the Cognitive and Physical realms.

I'm not saying Reod Elantrians and Mistwraiths are the same, far from it, but there is some overlap.

But the block isn't between the Physical Aspect and the Cognitive Aspect of the Elantrian.

Also during the Reod, the Dor was capable to leave the Cognitive Realm and begins the Elantrian's trasformation.

Also if the trasformation remains incomplete, the Reod Elantrian was feed by the Dor and they survived without any kind of food/water/oxigen/...

What I was saying was that there isn't anything like an "individual blockage" between the Aspects of the the Elantrian.

EDIT: because to many no-sense and grammar Horror XD

Edited by Yata

Yes, but the missing chasm line in Aons made the Dor unable to fully transform people.

The Dor is located in the Cognitive realm, so you could say that the Reod caused a blockage between the Cognitive and Physical realms.

I'm not saying Reod Elantrians and Mistwraiths are the same, far from it, but there is some overlap.

Not really. The Reod is a blockage of Investiture alone, while Mistwraiths are a blockage between two selves, so to speak. They might both be between the Cognitive and Physical Realms, but the thing keeping Mistwraiths from their Kandra intelligence isn't a physical feature of the Cognitive Realm like the Dor is.