The Knights Theoretic

No. There must be multiple shards of theory if skaa is one, otherwise what is Time(bubble)lord Kurkistan supposed to be?

I propose that instead skaa is a great splinter of the 17thShard, a shard that has "Theorizing" as one of its three purposes, the others being "decency" and "madness". Thus, I declare skaa the Brainstormfather.

Edited by DreamEternal

No. There must be multiple shards of theory if skaa is one, otherwise what is Time(bubble)lord Kurkistan supposed to be?

I propose that instead skaa is a great splinter of the 17thShard, that has "Theorizing" as one of its three purposes, the others being "decency" and "madness". Thus, I declare skaa the Brainstormfather.

I'm good with that.

I humbly request entrance into the order of the Knights Theoretic as a Theorybreaker.

Facts before guessing.

Checking before assuming.

Reason before conclusion.

The words are accepted.

Your subsequent oaths as well.

Rise and provide judgement for theories who need it!

In that case I swear consideration before condescension.

The words are accepted. Yo're getting there :)

Edited by Oversleep

Hmm, let's check which order I'd fit in best. 

Theoryrunners: They seek to argue in defence of the theories which need it.
Clear nope. Theories who need defence should be discarded - if they aren't strong enough to stand with no backup but facts, they should not stand at all.

Theorybreakers: They judge theories, pointing out incosistencies.
Yes, I can see how that works. It's also the order I was put in. But it sounds so... destructive! D:

Theorybringers: They bring out controversial theories, even if they are to make a great commotion and perturbation.
That sounds as if they do it for the attention. As I can imagine people being attracted to that, those people would not be me.

Theorydancers: They remember all the facts and WoBs and are able to move freely between them.
Sadly, no. I have a good memory for where I read things, but I doubt that qualifies.

Theorywatchers: They seek all the truth, even if it makes them unable to talk about it freely.
That would work, yes. Also it would mean that I get to say the line "I could tell you, but then I had to kill you" more often.

Theoryweavers: They often seek to build theories around small details, transforming them to important things. Also they took liking to 'what if?' theories.
I like "what if"-theories, and I do like detail a lot. Maybe this is where I could feel at home?

Theorycallers: They are those who like to swap and transport elements of the theories known to make another one.
That sounds suspicious. I mean, that's how this works, no? It's what _all of us_ do. I feel like they are... deluding us, somehow. What is it they really do?

Theoryshapers: They shape theories out of facts and elements known, extrapolating on them in their pursue of novelty.
Like Theoryweavers, only that they do it to boldly venture where no (sane) person has theorized before? Are they doing that on purpose? Stressing their boundaries? Personal development or some such? *backs away nervously*

Theorywards: They stand firmly by their theories, even if they're seen as stubborn by others. Their theories are dependable.
That sounds like more egoistic Theoryrunners. I always thought those guys were defending our right to do what we do from indifferencespren?

Theorysmiths: They bring together scattered facts and unite them in great theories.
Maybe.. maybe.. *gasp* .. they bond THE SANDERSON!

I guess I'd make a good Theorybreaker, but maybe I'd also fit in with the -watchers? I mean, if the Spren is okay with that. *nervously glances at the hovering spren* *whispers* Is it supposed to look like a Tricorder? Also, why doesn't it say anything?

Clear nope. Theories who need defence should be discarded - if they aren't strong enough to stand with no backup but facts, they should not stand at all.

I thought it more like providing facts and information which the theoryposter may not know or forget.

That sounds as if they do it for the attention. As I can imagine people being attracted to that, those people would not be me.

It's more like not overthinking how mad you are or how much the theory may be implausible - as long as you adhere to the First Ideal, so there's nothing contradicting your theory. Look up my "Taln is Rayse" theory, for example.

That sounds suspicious. I mean, that's how this works, no? It's what _all of us_ do. I feel like they are... deluding us, somehow. What is it they really do?

Sigh - I haven't yet figuref out Theorycallers, so if you have a better idea for them, feel free to post it.

Like Theoryweavers, only that they do it to boldly venture where no (sane) person has theorized before? Are they doing that on purpose? Stressing their boundaries? Personal development or some such? *backs away nervously*

They look at known facts and then get on a ride with them - extrapolation is a key word here.

That sounds like more egoistic Theoryrunners. I always thought those guys were defending our right to do what we do from indifferencespren?

Theorywardens are another one I have problem with, you got an idea, tell me.

Maybe.. maybe.. *gasp* .. they bond THE SANDERSON!

Was it that obvious? Theorysmiths would be some crazy people who go through the books for the 17th time, noting all the small details which we glossed over and finding connections between them. Common reaction to them would be "I haven't noticed that". They're rare.

I guess I'd make a good Theorybreaker, but maybe I'd also fit in with the -watchers? I mean, if the Spren is okay with that. *nervously glances at the hovering spren* *whispers* Is it supposed to look like a Tricorder? Also, why doesn't it say anything?

Theoryspren are partially imaginary, so they have more dimensions that we do. Don't worry if you notice something strange.

Edited by Oversleep

So I have a bad habit of storing half of what I know in a coppermind including the memories that I even storied them in the first place.  May be my short attention span tends to cause me to over do it with the stored memories.  In any case, I love coming up with theories but I have a habit of remembering the odd bits and sometimes forgetting the little details. That said I like the group and would like to join.  Though I will likely be using the Coppermind a hell of a lot to create my theories considering I have half of Sandersons work on kindle and the other half in audio-book format, so I can't really go back and check those.

I mean I'd be interested in joining but if I had to pick one I'd be torn between two, either a theorybreaker, or theorybringer... So what would that make me a theorymender? 

Perhaps you should swear the first Ideal and see which path you follow. If you're more fond of feedback and pointing out inconsistencies than theorymaking, you're a Theorybreaker. If it turns out to be the opposite, you're Theorybringer :)

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally bonded a spren. Oops. I think I'm a theory weaver, but I have yet to speak the second words.

Welcome to our ranks! Can't wait to see your Theoryweaving!

Facts before guessing.

Checking before assuming.

Reason before conclusion.

I request to be sworn to the order of theorybreakers. The majority of my posts are probably pointing out inconsistencies.

Welcome to the Knights Theoretic! I see you already know Kynedath, our other Theorybreaker. I probably should warn you that Theorybreakers must be especially careful with their fact-checking, since they're dealing with pointing out mistakes to other people.

I don't know who found out that Felt was a worldhopper, but can we make him/her an honorary Theorysmith?

I will seek him/her and ask.

Hm, I should probably update first post with a list of Knights.

Should anyone have problems with theorycrafting or anything related to theories, feel free to post here both to receive and give help.

• 1 month later...

Why can't you? :o

Various reasons.

1. I live in Poland.
  2. I buy one copy of a book (so ebook OR physical copy. I don't see why I should spend money twice on the same thing and I prefer physical books).
  3. Shipping from USA or UK is storming expensive.
  4. While I could read in English, my mother can't. So I wait for release of translated version. It will be out on 27th April. Secret History? Who knows.

Until then (and some point in the future when I read MSH) being on the Shard is like moving through a familiar area where some of the passers-by plant mines. Some are nice enough to put a flag with a warning and some forget (or don't care) and plant them whenever they like.

Life is tough.