The Knights Theoretic

Theoryrunners: They seek to argue in defence of the theories which need it.
Theorybreakers: They judge theories, pointing out incosistencies.
Theorybringers: They bring out controversial theories, even if they are to make a great commotion and perturbation.
Theorydancers: They remember all the facts and WoBs and are able to move freely between them.
Theorywatchers: They seek all the truth, even if it makes them unable to talk about it freely.
Theoryweavers: They often seek to build theories around small details, transforming them to important things. Also they took liking to 'what if?' theories.
Theorycallers: They are those who like to swap and transport elements of the theories known to make another one.
Theoryshapers: They shape theories out of facts and elements known, extrapolating on them in their pursue of novelty.
Theorywards: They stand firmly by their theories, even if they're seen as stubborn by others. Their theories are dependable.
Theorysmiths: They bring together scattered facts and unite them in great theories.

Facts before guessing.
Checking before assuming.
Reason before conclusion.

Anybody wants to join? If there is somebody who still hasn't attracted a theoryspren and wants to be a Theorybinder, may he speak up, for I have Theoryblades. Or maybe I should grant these Blades to the greatest theory makers of Seventeenth Shard?

Edited by Oversleep

Oh, but guessing is fine as long as you hold facts before guessing. It doesn't mean not to guess; it commands not to ignore the facts.
'Checking before assuming' also doesn't mean that assuming is bad; my Knights are not omniscient and I accept that.
As long as their theories doesn't have obvious and evident flaws contradicting the facts which could have been checked in an instant, I am fine with that.

Mind you, 'what if' theories and alike can assume things which are obviously contradicting what is canon. You just need to learn to differentiate between what is and what could have been and between what can be and what could be. It's very important for Theoryweavers, it's part of their journey to become better Theorybinders.

Do you still want to decline the position? I saw potential in what you theorized about Renarin.

Edited by Oversleep

As I am a Theoryweaver in the Knights Awkward, I feel it necessary to join the same order here.

I will seek to find interesting circumstances.

I will formulate new theories even after old ones are struck down

I will find the details others overlooked

Also, could you unquote the Oaths? It's very hard to copy that text for some reason.

Facts before guessing.
Checking before assuming.
Reason before conclusion.

As a Theoryweaver, I take it upon myself to decide our other oaths

I will consider every claim, no matter how far-fetched
I will build on the theories of others
I will search the Words of Brandon, for they hold endless clues
I will never discredit a WoB as useless, as RAFOs hold their own clues

Edited by Stormgate

As a Theoryweaver, I take it upon myself to decide our other oaths

I will consider every claim, no matter how far-fetched

I will build on the theories of others

I will search the Words of Brandon, for they hold endless clues

I will never discredit a WoB as useless, as RAFOs hold their own clues

The Theorybreaker in me wants to point out that building on theories of others is probably a Theorycaller thing, searching WoBs is more of Theorydancers. First and fourth fit Theoryweavers. Nice theory overall, but I would throw in something about

dstinguishing between what is and what could have been and between what can be and what could be. It's very important for Theoryweavers, it's part of their journey to become better Theorybinders.

CognitivePulsePattern, welcome to the order. Pick up your conclusionspren at the door, and don't mind Bonrel. He is still learning, and takes your name to mean that you are a Cryptic. Strangly, I follow the oaths better than him.

Oversleep, do you approve of the changes to the Oaths?

I have seen your oaths, thus I knew you joined. But what did you change your mind about?

Nothing. It is just that... Becoming a theorybinder involves a bond to a theoretical spren, does it not?

I am a natural loner, and felt unsure if it was worth it. But most spren seem to respect the boundaries of their humans.

EDIT: Bonrel?

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I am glad to see ranks of Theoryweavers increase!

Oversleep, do you approve of the changes to the Oaths?

At this point we'd have to wait for more Theoryweavers to show up and look for what they will swear as they would be progressing to test your Theory. I like the first two Oaths, but at the same time the third and the fourth while they have some merit to them, doesn't fit as well. We have to wait for more evidence.

Nothing. It is just that... Becoming a theorybinder involves a bond to a theoretical spren, does it not?

EDIT: Bonrel?

Well, that would be the dominant theory for Theorybinders' sprens for now. I suppose Bonrel is Stromgate's spren.

Edited by Oversleep

Yes he is, and is currently looking over my shoulder. He loves theories like Pattern with lies. What does he look like? Think of what a confusionspren might look like. He looks like that, sometimes. Others, he simply decides something he wants to look like, and then he looks like that. I don't mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really into oath-taking and stuff, and I'd like to keep my soul free from outside influence. But these spren do look interesting.

Hmmm...

*casually places theoryspren-attracting gemstones in inconspicuous locations*

Edited by skaa

Not really into oath-taking and stuff, and I'd like to keep my soul free from outside influence. But these spren do look interesting.

Hmmm...

*replaces gems with reminders that we know nothing about how artifrabricians trap spren, but it is a carefully guarded secret that is most likely more complex than scattering gemstones about.*

Does bonding a theoryspren help with those powers? I'd love to be a theorydancer, but I am afraid that I'm more theorybreaker material... Or -caller, if i'm lucky... Theoryweaver, maybe. I like what if.

Well, the nature of the bond is mutual. In fact, a part of the Shard definitely has attracted a theoryspren, since they are involved with theories. The progress of Knight Theoretic is done by the efforts of the Knight himself; the Theory Bond does grant some power, but its achieved by hard work. You can probably swear the First Oath and see what kind of spren bonds with you.

Hmmm...

Oh, but theoryspren are attracted by some theorising. Some gems aren't gonna do it, but quick look at some of your theories makes me think you already attracted one. I guess you would be a Theoryshaper, what do you think?

*replaces gems with reminders that we know nothing about how artifrabricians trap spren, but it is a carefully guarded secret that is most likely more complex than scattering gemstones about.*

Even if we assume that I've got the gem type and cut right? :(

Some gems aren't gonna do it...

Aw, drat. And here I thought I could make some theory fabrials. :P

...but quick look at some of your theories makes me think you already attracted one. I guess you would be a Theoryshaper, what do you think?

I think I fit in more than one KT order.

Theorydancers: Although I don't have eidetic memory, I do remember the gist of many, many WoBs, and this familiarity helps me when looking for an exact quote. This is why whenever I mention a WoB, I almost always quote it.

Theorywatchers: I spoil myself silly all the time, even though it means I need to keep certain theories to myself.

Theoryweavers: Theories from small details? I once theorized that Dawnshards are musical instruments just because other "dawn-" terms on Roshar have something to do with music/sound. I came up with the grandiose "Each Shardworld has an Essence" theory all from the tiny coincidence that Foil is metal and Scadrians have metal-based magic. As for "What If", let me introduce you to my Awakener wand theory, the bizarre Hemalurgic acupuncture theory, and the even more bizzare Essence/Surge-pairs theory.

Theorycallers: My current god metal theory uses ideas from at least two other previous theories. L-Theory was inspired by the ideas I had in my Unified Surge Theory as well as the waveform-related theories of other people.

Theoryshapers: As you probably noticed, plenty of novel extrapolations happened in my L-theory, as well as my Degenerate Rithmatics theory, my lerasium theory, my theory about kandra worldhoppers, my "Upside-Down Roshar" theory, and my infamous (and obviously abandoned) Shardblades are Odiumspren theory, among many others.

Theorysmiths: My theory on Roshar's Focus was the result of a mishmash of many observations. This is also true with my Essence/Surge-pairs theory, my Investiture Resonance theory, and (to a lesser extent) my Self-Awakening theory.

Um, I realize what I've written above looks like arrogant self-promotion, so let me say that I would be a terrible Theoryward because I abandon theories very easily, perhaps because some of my theories just aren't very good. I guess it's a quantity over quality thing: I tend to hastily write down even the most fanciful of ideas, which is why I have so many theory threads. Other more intelligent people here seem to prefer waiting until their theory is as good as proven before posting them. Not me. I am too impatient.

I guess I'll just let you guys decide if you want me as a member, and which order you think I fit the most.

Edited by skaa

Well, like in math you could get into imaginary numbers, you could create some theoretical gems maybe? Like doing a thought experiment with making a fabrial.

I think I fit in more than one KT order.

Yeah, that's true for many people.For example, being good with WoBs is important for almost every Theorybinder.

Since the Orders I posted are still Theoretical and haven't been yet Proved into existence (with exception of Theoryweavers), we could - theoretically (gotta love the puns) - make some adjustments... :) They share too much in common. As long as nobody collapses the quantum wave by joining, these Orders are theoretical and may be different. Collapsing the quantum wave in regard to Theories is known as 'Proving' or 'Disproving'.

Or maybe I could lift the "One person - one Order" rule.

If it was just about the type and cut it would be easy to replicate and a pointless secret to keep. I currently theorize it is related to humming to the Rhythms to interact better with cognitive entities, which I also believe is why humming helps with using soulcaster fabrials.

Currently I think the Rhythms are different frequencies of something permeating shadesmar, and attuning to them helps bridging the physical and cognitive realms.

It also explains why it was so easy for the parshendi to figure out the secret process of traping spren, while stopping random human scholars from stumbling upon it.

As for why artifabricians didn't notice the similarity of their tunes and the parshendi songs, it is not too unlikely that parshendi and artifabricians never expended extended amounts of time together. Of course, that may be bound to change if Navani takes a lersonal interest on Rlain's knowledge about spren-listener interactions.

EDIT: I may post this theory of mine in the SA board later, been to long since I started a new theory.

Edited by DreamEternal

If it was just about the type and cut it would be easy to replicate and a pointless secret to keep. I currently theorize it is related to humming to the Rhythms to interact better with cognitive entities, which I also believe is why humming helps with using soulcaster fabrials.

Eh, the joke presupposes that all the requirements (whatever they are) for creating a gemstone that attracts a specific type of spren have been met. Cool theory, by the way. It fits well with my theory that all the "natural" forms of magic on Roshar (e.g. the spren-attracting properties of gemstones, animal-spren symbiosis, presumably including Parshendi-spren symbiosis, etc.) are connected, and probably originate from a single Shard. I think it's Cultivation, and that Voidbringers and their odious Rhythms are Odium's way of corrupting Cultivation's system via his voidspren.

Edited by skaa

I think I fit in more than one KT order.Theorydancers: Although I don't have eidetic memory, I do remember the gist of many, many WoBs, and this familiarity helps me when looking for an exact quote. This is why whenever I mention a WoB, I almost always quote it.

Theorywatchers: I spoil myself silly all the time, even though it means I need to keep certain theories to myself.

Theoryweavers: Theories from small details? I once theorized that Dawnshards are musical instruments just because other "dawn-" terms on Roshar have something to do with music/sound. I came up with the grandiose "Each Shardworld has an Essence" theory all from the tiny coincidence that Foil is metal and Scadrians have metal-based magic. As for "What If", let me introduce you to my Awakener wand theory, the bizarre Hemalurgic acupuncture theory, and the even more bizzare Essence/Surge-pairs theory.

Theorycallers: My current god metal theory uses ideas from at least two other previous theories. L-Theory was inspired by the ideas I had in my Unified Surge Theory as well as the waveform-related theories of other people.

Theoryshapers: As you probably noticed, plenty of novel extrapolations happened in my L-theory, as well as my Degenerate Rithmatics theory, my lerasium theory, my theory about kandra worldhoppers, my "Upside-Down Roshar" theory, and my infamous (and obviously abandoned) Shardblades are Odiumspren theory, among many others.

Theorysmiths: My theory on Roshar's Focus was the result of a mishmash of many observations. This is also true with my Essence/Surge-pairs theory, my Investiture Resonance theory, and (to a lesser extent) my Self-Awakening theory.

Um, I realize what I've written above looks like arrogant self-promotion, so let me say that I would be a terrible Theoryward because I abandon theories very easily, perhaps because some of my theories just aren't very good. I guess it's a quantity over quality thing: I tend to hastily write down even the most fanciful of ideas, which is why I have so many theory threads. Other more intelligent people here seem to prefer waiting until their theory is as good as proven before posting them. Not me. I am too impatient.

I guess I'll just let you guys decide if you want me as a member, and which order you think I fit the most.

I'll have you know, I once claimed that I could make a theory out of the way Sanderson regards a block of cheese. He has not done so, yet, but I am the Theoryweaver.