Aoibheann

Theory: Gaz is a Herald

7 posts in this topic

I sort of proposed this theory in another thread, but wasn't ready to commit to it at the time.  I still can't come up with a better idea.  So here it is:  Gaz is a Herald.

As I've been puzzling over Gaz's disappearance, I've always been struck by the following quote:

page 473:

Stormfather, Gaz thought, I hate myself for being a part of this. But he'd hated himself for a long time now. It wasn't anything new to him.

It makes me wonder exactly how old Gaz is. This seems to be a really important thing to be said. It sounds like he feels like he's worthless because he gave up on his honor and he doesn't deserve a better life than he has right now. 

It would also make his statement about ending up in a bridge crew very telling.  What would happen to a herald who died a normal death?  Would he end up in damnation?  that would be plenty of motivation to leave the armies at the Shattered Plains.  Being a bridge sergeant was relatively protected.  

Gaz = Herald could impact the motivations of other many other characters including Hoid.   

Which Herald is he?  I don't know.  If Vev is female, it can't be her, despite the connection to the eyes.  If Jezrien is in the WoK prologue, then I'd guess Ishtar.   

Thoughts? 

I don't think that quote is enough. "A long time" can be a year, five years, ten years, a thousand years, all depending on your lifespan. So if he is a Herald, that would be a very long long time, but if he's not then it's probably five to ten years. I really don't think it actually says anything.

EDIT: Also, I subscribe to the theory that Skar Killed Gaz (link in my signature). So that would make him seem like he's not a Herald.

Edited by TheShogun

I agree that "a long time" is relative.  However the fact that it's mentioned is pretty significant.  I know there are other theories about what happened to Gaz.  I'm not convinced (I'll discuss under the theory if I think it will add to the discussion). 

I buy the idea that Hoid ended up with the broam because Gaz needed to buy Hoid off (or thought he did).  

I think Gaz left because he's a Herald.  Lamaril threatened him with the bridgecrews; Hashal is more likely to do it than Lamaril was.  He knows better than most that it's a death sentence.  He can't afford to die (he'll be sent back to damnation - maybe).  With a desolation coming, he most especially can't afford to die, he'll be tortured until the next desolation; forever if there are no more. 

I see where you're coming from, but I also don't really see any evidence that backs this up.

At least, not any evidence that can't be taken multiple ways.

I don't see enough evidence to strongly believe that Gaz is a herald.  However, if he turns out to be one, it won't be completely out of the blue.  

No i think he will pop back up in time.

Changed my mind just reread the book i think he will have a 'Asmodean' type death type thing but we will find out what happened to him in Words Of Radiance :B