Killing a Steel Inquisitor. What would it take?

Thermophile

But the "Alluminium block the Ferucemical Healing" is a fact ? Because I remember only something like "make the Healing harder" and there is a lot of difference.

Also because an Inquisitor (in both of cases) can simply pull out the Allumin-things that hit him and Healing normally. Don't forget that a Pewter Allomancer may resist very long to "fatal" wound

True. In that case, you'd want a wooden shaft of an arrowhead made of wood, with just the head aluminum, and not bring it close to the Inquisitor until it's too late.

Yeah, it's also way cheaper that way :P

Or something like Vin's trick of putting a piece of metal on it that when pushed just slides off, so they think they can use it and you can catch them by surprise.

You mean specifically for Inquisitors? Not really but I don't see why not since it blocks it for everyone else.

I mean about aluminum blocking the steel/iron-lines of metals behind it in general.

So if I hold up a sheet of aluminum-foil between an allomancer and a pile of boxings, the allomancer can't push or pull on the boxings, or even know they're there based on iron/steel?

Then even wrapping a sword/spear/arrow/whatever in aluminum-foil would be sufficient to block pulling/pushing, no need to make the entire thing out of it.

I remember only something like "make the Healing harder" and there is a lot of difference.

Also because an Inquisitor (in both of cases) can simply pull out the Allumin-things that hit him and Healing normally. Don't forget that a Pewter Allomancer may resist very long to "fatal" wound

That's why you'd have the arrowhead/spearhead/other aluminum weapon pard detach when the rest of it is pulled on. If it's messing with your regeneration (even if it wouldn't fully stop it), a full sized arrowhead would kill you fairly quickly, I'd imagine.

With TLR being as OP as he his, I bet he'd just be able to overpower the heal resisting effects of aluminum, so unless you have a LOT of aluminum guns, this is going to just remain a guide on killing Steel Inquisitors. Very sad.

I mean about aluminum blocking the steel/iron-lines of metals behind it in general.

So if I hold up a sheet of aluminum-foil between an allomancer and a pile of boxings, the allomancer can't push or pull on the boxings, or even know they're there based on iron/steel?

Then even wrapping a sword/spear/arrow/whatever in aluminum-foil would be sufficient to block pulling/pushing, no need to make the entire thing out of it.

Yup. It was mentioned in AoL at some point.

But as soon as there was a scratch in the foil they'd be able to push/pull it again so way safer to just use Aluminium for the whole thing.

That's why you'd have the arrowhead/spearhead/other aluminum weapon pard detach when the rest of it is pulled on. If it's messing with your regeneration (even if it wouldn't fully stop it), a full sized arrowhead would kill you fairly quickly, I'd imagine.

With TLR being as OP as he his, I bet he'd just be able to overpower the heal resisting effects of aluminum, so unless you have a LOT of aluminum guns, this is going to just remain a guide on killing Steel Inquisitors. Very sad.

Depends on where it is.  The human body is kind of crazy.  I had a biology teacher in High School was a good example of this.  He was the victim of an accidental shooting when he was a teenager.  He had  a bullet lodged in his skull still and had had it there for 40 years.  It wasn't safe to remove it without causing more damage,  and since he could live with it there.....

Depends on where it is.  The human body is kind of crazy.  I had a biology teacher in High School was a good example of this.  He was the victim of an accidental shooting when he was a teenager.  He had  a bullet lodged in his skull still and had had it there for 40 years.  It wasn't safe to remove it without causing more damage,  and since he could live with it there.....

Yeah, despite what movies and TV tell you, it's actually pretty common to leave bullets in place.  Trying to dig them out could cause a lot more damage, and open the wound up to infection (the heat of a bullet firing sterilizes it).

The exception to that is when it's in or near a skeletal joint.  There's something about the biology of the joint function that opens a person up to lead poisoning (most bullets are still made out of lead) if it's left there.

Yeah, despite what movies and TV tell you, it's actually pretty common to leave bullets in place.  Trying to dig them out could cause a lot more damage, and open the wound up to infection (the heat of a bullet firing sterilizes it).

The exception to that is when it's in or near a skeletal joint.  There's something about the biology of the joint function that opens a person up to lead poisoning (most bullets are still made out of lead) if it's left there.

Although as a counterpoint plenty of shots that tv and movies assure you are completely harmless can still kill you.

(Get shot in the leg or shoulder? Basically just stick a bandaid on it and you're fine. Never mind the massive veins in those areas that can easily cause you to bleed to death if they get hit.)

Although as a counterpoint plenty of shots that tv and movies assure you are completely harmless can still kill you.

(Get shot in the leg or shoulder? Basically just stick a bandaid on it and you're fine. Never mind the massive veins in those areas that can easily cause you to bleed to death if they get hit.)

Oh, definitely.  And then they compound the issue by saying, "We have to get the bullet out!" and go digging into that complex networks of blood vessels and nerve endings to pull out a projectile that was probably helping to staunch the flow of blood.

You know the best place to get shot?  If you have to take a bullet, best to have it lodge into one's, ah, gluteus maximus.  Lots of fat and muscle tissue right there, no major blood vessels.

Oh, definitely.  And then they compound the issue by saying, "We have to get the bullet out!" and go digging into that complex networks of blood vessels and nerve endings to pull out a projectile that was probably helping to staunch the flow of blood.

You know the best place to get shot?  If you have to take a bullet, best to have it lodge into one's, ah, gluteus maximus.  Lots of fat and muscle tissue right there, no major blood vessels.

Well the best place to get shot is three feet to the left of your body :P

If it has to hit you though yeah, butt-shot is a pretty safe one. Lower legs not too bad. Stomach's one of the worst, even if you don't bleed out there's just way too high a chance you get sepsis. Hands and feet are probably the best options though it'd hurt a lot.

• 2 years later...

I've ran a few Mistborn RPG campaigns, and in two of them the players were able to kill Steel Inquisitors. It seems the best way to do it, is to deal a ton of damage in a single blow so they can't heal. Decapitation is the discription I generally give when the players do it.

Today, I had a ferrochemist player-character tap a several of his metal-minds and knock the head off a steel inquisitor with his fist. Its shockingly easy to kill them IMO. I wish they were actually more difficult to kill.

A cleverly laid trap would be worth a thousand live bodies rushing at an Inquisitor.

Consider how Yomen managed to de-fang Vin; he could have killed her if he'd wanted to. He prepared a large stone cavern with no Allomantic metals in it, with an enormous stone boulder ready to roll into place to block the only entrance/exit, and then could just wait until she starved or dehydrated to death. For quicker killing, if killing had been the goal of such a trap, one could build in some other means of either pumping out the air, poisoning the air, or filling the chamber with sand or water - all made with stone and wood.

(Presumably the boulder rolled at 90 degrees to the entrance, otherwise Vin could have tried doing a double Steelpush with two coins, one on the boulder and one on the wall behind her, like how she Pushed out the window at Keep Venture when rushing out to prevent Elend's assassination.)

Same thing with an Inquisitor, then; it'd just be harder to safely lure one into such a location.

That's in dealing with a standard issue Final Empire "vanilla" Inquisitor, not the Ruin-enhanced ones with Feruchemy. Being able to tap a large pewtermind and ironmind would quickly resolve a boulder problem, I think, unless it was greased? In which case, the Feruchemist could possibly pulverize the boulder, as long as there were a suitable tool at hand that could scrape at the rock.

5 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I've ran a few Mistborn RPG campaigns, and in two of them the players were able to kill Steel Inquisitors. It seems the best way to do it, is to deal a ton of damage in a single blow so they can't heal. Decapitation is the discription I generally give when the players do it.

Today, I had a ferrochemist player-character tap a several of his metal-minds and knock the head off a steel inquisitor with his fist. Its shockingly easy to kill them IMO. I wish they were actually more difficult to kill.

Well, that's not quite fair. We're talking about assembling a team of ordinary humans! A (Full) Feruchemist who has had the time to prepare a large enough set of metalminds, which only requires time, patience, and a period of relative discomfort, is pretty OP in a short burst and at close quarters. More so than a full Mistborn, due to F-steel and F-gold, as range attacks and flying maneuvers are out of scope.

Taking down an Inquisitor would only require an element of surprise and an arranged situation, so the Inquisitor couldn't quickly Steelpush away into the air to escape or something. Dump-tap a steelmind for inhuman speed, run right up behind the Inquisitor, then dump-tap an ironmind for weight (leverage) and a pewtermind for strength, and literally rip the head off before the Inquistor can react. Having a stone axe or just a big rock in hand would only make it easier.

So, why didn't Sazed do this with the Inquisitor he saved Vin from at Kredik Shaw?

My theory is that in the time of the Final Empire, their offensive potential was limited by the fact that Feruchemists were all Terris Keepers who were keeping a low profile to protect their brethren, and could not be open with their Feruchemy. Meaning that their metalminds had to be in the form of jewelry, limiting how much could be stored in them. In HoA, we see Sazed storing a week or so's worth of speed in the large steel padlock of his prison in the kandra Homeland, then tapping it for two bursts of "blurring speed" to attack his guards with two (maybe three) swings of a large hammer.

There's no way he could have worn a piece of steel as large as a big padlock and passed it off as jewelry. And I suppose wearing lots of small steelminds wouldn't work the same - that one could not "parallel tap" ten small steelminds for a huge burst of speed, you'd need to empty or half-empty one relatively large steelmind in one big tap to get the "blurring speed" necessary to overwhelm an Inquisitor who could burn pewter.

Besides which, doing something as flashy as killing an Inquisitor that way would be a dead giveaway, and surely lead to a massive manhunt and stepped-up purging of Feruchemists in the Terris community. So they'd be taught/trained to use physical Feruchemy in very low-key ways. It's not like Keepers were walking around with huge and invested metalminds of steel / gold / pewter at the ready all the time, even though if I were a Feruchemist in RL, I totally would be.

• Chaos locked this topic