Killing a Steel Inquisitor. What would it take?

Thermophile

We know that Kelsier was able to defeat a Steel Inquisitor at the top of his game, and that Vin + Elland were able to do it reliably. But say you had a unit of normal soldiers that were trained to, working together, defeat a Steel Inquisitor.

How many of them would it take to kill a Steel Inquisitor? Also, we need a name for them so we can make it sound like a 'screwing in a light bulb' joke.

For normal soldiers (no Allomancers, no Feruchemists) I think it would be really hard...

The lack of speed and strength (Inquisitors have it from pewter, maybe even Feruchemy. But I take now "standard-Inquisitors", without Feruchemy, except gold for healing faster as some had that) makes it impossible for them to pull out the centre-spike or one of the eyesockets.

In only close combat (like trying to behead them), the same problem, I don't really see a way for them to win.

Even if the Inquisitor get's in any danger, he can just jump out anyways.

I think the best way would be to distract them with a close combat fight, and when he's distracted, shoot them with Arrows (of course without metal). You're gonna lose a lot of men, but well... they're fighting an Inquisitor.

If the Inquisitor has Atium: They can only keep fighting and wait until he's out of it. As long as he has Atium, there's no way they can win

We know that Kelsier was able to defeat a Steel Inquisitor at the top of his game, and that Vin + Elland were able to do it reliably. But say you had a unit of normal soldiers that were trained to, working together, defeat a Steel Inquisitor.

How many of them would it take to kill a Steel Inquisitor? Also, we need a name for them so we can make it sound like a 'screwing in a light bulb' joke.

At a guess? Approximately all of them.  :unsure:

Atium alone allows a Mistborn or Inquisitor to slaughter just hundreds of people at a time with ease. Kelsier is basically as good a Coinshot/Lurcher as it is possible to be, Vin is one of the most skilled Allomancers to ever exist and Elend is Lerasium strength. Outside of that most Mistborn couldn't even defeat them so as for regular soldiers? Not really seeing that happening.

You want to use guns to fight an inquisitor???

Steel yourself for the backlash...

Do I want to? Harmony's forearms, no. I'll be secluded in my cabin in the distant wasteland where Inquisitors never tread. I'm not going up against one of those things.

I'm just saying, guns are pretty deadly even to Coinshots in the AoL era, so if you wanted to fight an Inquisitor you'd probably have pretty good luck with machine guns. :P

Edited by Kobold King

Do I want to? Harmony's forearms, no. I'll be secluded in my cabin in the distant wasteland where Inquisitors never tread. I'm not going up against one of those things.

I'm just saying, guns are pretty deadly even to Coinshots in the AoL era, so if you wanted to fight an Inquisitor you'd probably have pretty good luck with machine guns. :P

Eh, with aluminium guns a well planned ambush could even kill a full Mistborn with atium rather easily, so at that point it isn't much of a challenge. (Plus, I'd really like to try if a chaff grenade could block external metals) :ph34r:

I suggest you avoid going there, bunch of Epics are waging war on each other. :P

So Thermophile, what do you mean - fighting an Inquisitor at the time of the first trilogy, or later? If later, when?

I was thinking of a 'vanilla' Inquisitor (no feruchemical speed or strength, and probably with Final Empire tech)

If you had people who were trained to fight Inquisitors, they'd probably have some methods of delaying it so it would run out of atium (WIth soldiers hiding in various places) once the Inquisitor was out of atium, they'd surround it, and one would pull out the back spike.

This question was mostly inspired when the messenger Spook sent got ambushed by Marsh, who knew what he was up agianst, and actually put up a decent fight, despite not having any real training against Inquisitors, and being alone. In fact, there's a decent chance that, without Feruchemy, Marsh might have actually died there.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Inquisitors, while powerful, have big weaknesses, that, if combated by training and teamwork, could be exploited to the extent that maybe twenty or thirty guys could take one out, even without magic.

Edited by Thermophile

Eh, with aluminium guns a well planned ambush could even kill a full Mistborn with atium rather easily, so at that point it isn't much of a challenge. (Plus, I'd really like to try if a chaff grenade could block external metals) :ph34r:

An ambush could kill them even without the aluminium since it's unlikely they'd be burning it at all times.

At a guess? Approximately all of them.  :unsure:

Atium alone allows a Mistborn or Inquisitor to slaughter just hundreds of people at a time with ease. Kelsier is basically as good a Coinshot/Lurcher as it is possible to be, Vin is one of the most skilled Allomancers to ever exist and Elend is Lerasium strength. Outside of that most Mistborn couldn't even defeat them so as for regular soldiers? Not really seeing that happening.

Part of that was fear though.  They were "immortal" servants of god.  Mind games gave them an edge during the Final Empire.  I don't think they were exceptional beyond their known powers though.  They were mistborn with feruchemical gold.  I don't believe they started to get other feruchemical storages until TLR died.  (I may be wrong if anyone can correct me on that....)  This means that like Kelsier,  they couldn't fight a whole army.  Sure they'd take out a terrifying number of soldiers first,  but they could be pulled down unless they escaped,  likely by using steel to leap away.  Atium would be the only problem and it's a huge one,  but throw enough bodies into the mix and you'll eventually catch them in a no win situation where they're checkmated.

Part of that was fear though.  They were "immortal" servants of god.  Mind games gave them an edge during the Final Empire.  I don't think they were exceptional beyond their known powers though.  They were mistborn with feruchemical gold.  I don't believe they started to get other feruchemical storages until TLR died.  (I may be wrong if anyone can correct me on that....)  This means that like Kelsier,  they couldn't fight a whole army.  Sure they'd take out a terrifying number of soldiers first,  but they could be pulled down unless they escaped,  likely by using steel to leap away.  Atium would be the only problem and it's a huge one,  but throw enough bodies into the mix and you'll eventually catch them in a no win situation where they're checkmated.

They also had twice the strength in Steel as a normal Allomancer and occasionally there was a Mistborn who became an Inquisitor IIRC which means they'd have double the strength in basically all metals.

Plus Feruchemical gold is a pretty massive advantage, they're not unkillable but still very, very difficult. Especially for regular soldiers.

Checkmating is way harder against a Mistborn than just a Seer, Steel, Iron and Pewter make them nigh-impossible to checkmate without using modern weapons.

Best bet is to catch them in a trap, lure them into a building and just blow the whole building up, which will likely melt their spikes and kill them.

They also had twice the strength in Steel as a normal Allomancer.

Not always. Marsh was a Seeker, and Seeker Inquisitors can break through copper clouds, although there were definitely some coinshot Inquisitors. I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that two coinshots are used for an Inquisitor, just one.

A problem about killing an Inquisitor with Arrow or Bullet is that those type of wound is pretty small and they can heal pretty well with the Feruchemical Gold.

That's why you have some guys going for tendons and organs (things that take a lot of juice to heal), which is really a distraction for one guy to sneak up and pull out the back spike (can they see that with atium? I don't know exactly how atium + Inquisitor works).

Agian, if you were specifically trained to fight an Inquisitor, and you had moderate control of the situation, I think you could kill it with only a couple dozen guys.

Final Empire era? Distract them by having a squad of guys drop their weapons, cower, and beg for their lives. Then have someone jump in behind them and pull out their key spike.

Doesn't work because of the way their vision works, even if you would know about the spikes.

Not always. Marsh was a Seeker, and Seeker Inquisitors can break through copper clouds, although there were definitely some coinshot Inquisitors. I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that two coinshots are used for an Inquisitor, just one.

That's why you have some guys going for tendons and organs (things that take a lot of juice to heal), which is really a distraction for one guy to sneak up and pull out the back spike (can they see that with atium? I don't know exactly how atium + Inquisitor works).

Agian, if you were specifically trained to fight an Inquisitor, and you had moderate control of the situation, I think you could kill it with only a couple dozen guys.

I was under the distinct impression that they did use two coinshots, one for each eyespike.

'Vanilla' Inquisitors have 11 spikes (2 in the eyes, 1 in the back, 8 in the chest)

1 Feruchemist (gold), 1 Thug, 1 Tineye (I assume), 1 Lurcher, 1 Mistborn (atium), 1 (2?) Seeker, 1 (2?) Coinshot, 1 Coppercloud (?), 1 Soother (?), 1 Rioter (?)

So, obvioulsy they don't have all of those, but if they only recruit Allomancers, and save one spike on that type, it would add up to 11.

Alhtough, steel is used for all physical Allomancy, so those eyespikes could be just about anything.

They also had twice the strength in Steel as a normal Allomancer and occasionally there was a Mistborn who became an Inquisitor IIRC which means they'd have double the strength in basically all metals.

Plus Feruchemical gold is a pretty massive advantage, they're not unkillable but still very, very difficult. Especially for regular soldiers.

Checkmating is way harder against a Mistborn than just a Seer, Steel, Iron and Pewter make them nigh-impossible to checkmate without using modern weapons.

Best bet is to catch them in a trap, lure them into a building and just blow the whole building up, which will likely melt their spikes and kill them.

Modern weapons wouldn't make much of a difference.  You have to remove the connector spike or the head.  You'd need either a monster of of gun that could destroy the head entirely in one shot,  or maybe some kind of high explosive that could blow the body apart instantly.  

As for the double strength thing,  that all depends on the inquisitor.  Some could be stronger in certain abilities.  

Modern weapons wouldn't make much of a difference.  You have to remove the connector spike or the head.  You'd need either a monster of of gun that could destroy the head entirely in one shot,  or maybe some kind of high explosive that could blow the body apart instantly.  

As for the double strength thing,  that all depends on the inquisitor.  Some could be stronger in certain abilities.  

I just meant checkmating is easier rather than actually killing them. But flamethrowers, RPGs, grenades, automatic weapons, there's quite a lot that could just overwhelm their healing. Miles had a (presumably full) metalmind left in him and that depleted after just a couple of volleys from a firing squad.

I just meant checkmating is easier rather than actually killing them. But flamethrowers, RPGs, grenades, automatic weapons, there's quite a lot that could just overwhelm their healing. Miles had a (presumably full) metalmind left in him and that depleted after just a couple of volleys from a firing squad.

Doesn't the size of the mind matter?  They said they weren't able to find it.  Which means that it was a very small metalmind in physical size.  A large spike of gold,  would I believe be a different story.