What format do eBooks come in?

Dakaran

Forgive the newbie question, but has anyone purchased one of the eBooks from Brandon's online store (http://store.brandonsanderson.com/e-books/)? I've never purchased an eBook before, but I'd like to pick up the Shadows for Silence eBook since it's only $1. Before I do that though, I'd like to know if I can actually use it. Does anyone know what format eBooks come in? PDF? I'd ideally like to read whatever I purchase on both my Windows PC and my iPad.

Thanks!

Dakaran

Well the site says they come in Mobi and Epub formats but if you need another format there are many different file converters out there.

Gotcha, thanks! Not sure how I missed that before. It says "*mobi and epub formats available*" on the site. Does anyone know if that means you get both or do you have to make a choice at the time of purchase?

If you have to choose, I would say ePub simply because I don't recognize mobi.

Windows and Android have dozens of apps available that can read ePub, I suspect iOS has a similar selection.  If there aren't any direct-read apps for iOS, Google Play Books should have the ability to open ePub files saved to your Google Drive, and I have both those Apps on my iPad.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the site says they come in Mobi and Epub formats but if you need another format there are many different file converters out there.

Seconding this.

The free program Calibre is wonderful for converting file formats. It is what I use for ebooks before throwing them on my Kindle.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought Shadows of Silence.

You can download both  Epub  and Mobi formats.  The links expir e after two downloads in each format, giving you four chances to download the book.

Epub will work on an iPad.  I think that's actually the format iBooks uses.

Just for future reference:
I've purchased ebooks from both Barnes & Noble and Amazon.  I've also gotten some of the Mistborn RPG books from Crafty Games.

Barnes & Noble ebooks come in Epub format.
Amazon books come in a special format called AZW3.  The file names end in ".azw".
The RPGs from Crafty Games come in PDF format.

Calibre is indeed wonderful and allows you to read books and can convert them between formats.  It's also really great for organizing ebooks, especially if you have a lot of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotcha, thanks! Not sure how I missed that before. It says "*mobi and epub formats available*[/size]" on the site. Does anyone know if that means you get both or do you have to make a choice at the time of purchase?

Yes, you get both (but only a limited number of downloads for each one (2 I think). I used the .mobi to make a PDF and then used the .epub to read it on my nook.

mobi files are compatible with kindles. I don't know of anything else that uses them. epub are the format that both iBooks and Google Books uses, as well as many other reading applications. regardless, all files from Brandon are DRM free, and so you're free to convert to whatever format you want, as has been noted.

• Chaos locked this topic