Theory:Szeth had a Spren, who is now trapped in his shardblade

Macen

I believe I may have brought this up at some point long long ago, but here is my theory:

No one knows the process of making a Shardblade, but we know that Syl hates them. I believe that Shardblades are Spren that have been trapped into a Shardblade (I believe by choice). I believe that the KR final stage to become a full KR involved them no longer needing the guidance of their Spren, so their Spren became Shardblades to assist them, making them a full KR. The reason Syl hates Shardblades so much is because they are Spren trapped in a shard that is held by someone who hasn't earned it.

I believe something happened with Szeth that made his Spren get trapped in his blade, which is what made him become Truthless. This is just a theory, but I feel a lot of the underlying evidence is there to make it at least somewhat plausable. 

The biggest flaw in this for me is Shallan's Shardblade (how she got this is 'technically' still unknown).

I did some cursory research to see if this was out there, and I may be missing some answers from Q&A's or Readings that debunk this.

Let me know!

P.S. If we know how Shardblades are made and I just missed it somewhere, please let me know.

I wouldn't mind a reference to that statement if it was made. This is a working theory, but just because the Stone Shamans are going to get his ShardBlade when Szeth dies, doesn't mean he didn't create it. All of the other blades look different, and were created to fight off Thunderclasts and the like. Szeths would have been created in where he would need to find off people, hence it being smaller. Also, if he did create his sword premature this could explain why his doesn't grant blue eyes.

All theory, but worth thinking about and considering.

I would not go that far we only know that his does not make it stay light. We have every reason to believe that normal sharde blades does change the eye color.

Do we? We've got a couple of kids young enough that on Earth they would still believe in Frosty the Snowman saying that it's so, and an adult giving one off-hand, "Oh that almost never happens" rejoinder. I wouldn't call that "every reason", not by a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this. It could be thought that his honor could have attracted a (honor) spren. The stone shaman's noticed this and recruited him to become "truthless" as part of the belief system. Something like, for the rest of us to be good (or something) you must bear our sins. Then they helped him make the shard blade.

Sorry if I don't make sense. I've just stumbled upon this site and I'm just getting off work.

I'm not sure if the quote I'm offering is what Darnam is referring to.

Also I'm sure it's expressly stated at some point that Szeth's blade was given to him by the Stone Shamans, and that when he dies it will be collected by them. Doesn't sound like "I made this shard myself out of my Spren" to me.

Your wish ...

I wouldn't mind a reference to that statement if it was made. This is a working theory, but just because the Stone Shamans are going to get his ShardBlade when Szeth dies, doesn't mean he didn't create it. All of the other blades look different, and were created to fight off Thunderclasts and the like. Szeths would have been created in where he would need to find off people, hence it being smaller. Also, if he did create his sword premature this could explain why his doesn't grant blue eyes.

All theory, but worth thinking about and considering.

From Chapter 71, where Szeth meets Mr. T:

Given that monstrosity of a Shardblade by your people, cast out ,,,

• Chaos locked this topic