Long Game 1: In the Wake of the Koloss

Metacognition

As the silence is drawn out over a long time, the wind begins to pick up and figures form in the shadows. The winds grow chiller and whispers begin to be heard through the night.

"Move... talk... act for our entertainment mortals, the dead grow bored. Enjoy your last few days as you await damnation. The koloss are coming, bringing our revenge to you our allies turned murderers...death.... so pretty... they are coming and we will watch"

Edited by dyring

The only other person I can think of would be Wilson. She clutched on to Beetle suspiciously early on. I cannot help but think it looks like she wanted to lodge herself firmly in with a potential Seeker.

Ish. I wouldn't say it was really early on though. It was the second day after everyone was going between him and Edgar. He had the majority of votes, and I just made it clear that I didn't believe he was Spiked. I didn't really think Edgar was either, and I would've preferred not killing either one of them (I stated this right at the beginning of my first post that day. That I would've liked to do Kurk's idea. But I knew that was't going to happen. Too many people wanted one of them dead. So I voted for the one I was less sure of. Simple as that). I've been steadfast in my points, which I can see how that could be perscribed as a Spiked attribute. It's also an attribute for honest people who really believe that they're right. I know which one of those I am. But that's not the point of this game. It's whether you believe me. Or not.

Gambles was slumped over on the table in the deserted tavern, he had snuck back in here to raid the alcohol while it still lasted. He had made it as far as the nearest table carrying his load before he decided to have a seat and start drinking. He passed out shortly afterward.

A wind rushed through the windows and the breeze stirred the still air in the room, picking up dust and swirling them around.
"Wha-?!" Gambles nearly shouted, sitting up abruptly, the groggy tone of his voice clearly indicating he had just woken up.

He paused and shivered. He could swear he heard voices in the wind, and he was positive it wasn't his mind playing tricks on him. He had felt the tickle of breath from somebody speaking in his ear, the curses and whispers of the dead.
"...we will watchhh...."
Gambles tried to shake it off and tell himself it was just the result of a booze-addled, fear-fueled dream.
It was only a dream because the real nightmare was outside, hiding in the mists.

He shook his head again and blindly fished for the nearest bottle in the dark. Nursing his trepidation with alcohol - the solution to everything - Gambles just sipped quietly and waited for the hellish night to end.

Beetle rocks in silence, alone in the cold stone alleyway under an unforgiving moon. The everpresent mists wrap around him, but they lack the usual feeling of comfort that they give. He knows know that the stars that shine above are as unforgiving as they are unseen, but he has accepted that, now.

He scoops the ash around him back into the form of a bed, and tries to get some rest even while surrounded by the whispers of the ghosts that ride upon the wind.

EDIT: Hey, guys! What are you doing here? Don't you know that the second batch of WoR previews are here? Onward, Sanderfans!

Edited by bartbug

That's what this village has needed the whole time...

A healthy, calming dose of WoR previews.
Now we're not as concerned with killing each other, just too busy reading and doing happy 'speculation dances'

Edit: I think this is something everyone, spiked or not, can agree on.
Happy readings!

Edited by Gamma Fiend

I am having way to much fun over at tor.com. I presume I was not the only one squeeing and jumping up and down out of glee? I feel like a child not only meeting Santa Claus, but getting to ride with his reindeer to visit his workshop at the North Pole as well!

What? Oh, this is still going on?

Sorry, I think we might have to put the game on hold for a bit. I have some reading to do. Guess you guys don't get to know what happens next! ;)

(I just got all the orders, but I need to eat first. You guys will have your write up within a few hours!)

Day 4 (And a One, and a Two, and a One, Two, Three.…)

Tonight wasn’t a time for hiding. Just before the last red rays of the sun faded in the sky, smoke was seen on the horizon. Normally that wouldn’t be a worry, but it was coming from the south. The same direction the Koloss marched inevitably towards them from. Things were looking desperate and the town had yet to find a single Spiked. Porridge had tried to do some repairs to the wall anyways, but as always, the next morning found all the hard work torn down. They needed a victory and fast or they wouldn’t have enough time left to prepare!

At least that was Kukri’s thoughts as he moved through the night. He wasn’t trying to hide. In fact, he almost seemed to be taunting the Spiked into attacking him. His cloak was thrown back and his knives were still tucked in their sheaths. It felt good to not have to hide anymore. After the last few times, he decided he just didn’t care who saw him anymore.

Kukri wasn’t out in the mists tonight just for the fun of it. He burned steel and a dozen blue lines appeared. He dropped a coin and shot off into the dark. No, he had somewhere he needed to be and someone to finally kill...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porridge liked to keep to himself. It’s not that he didn’t like people, he did. It was just that most people didn’t seem to remember him even when he was there. It made friendships incredibly difficult to maintain. That didn’t mean he didn’t try. So what if they couldn’t remember his real name; he still loved this little town and his place within it. That’s why he kept on repairing the walls, even though his work kept on getting torn down.

Well, he wasn’t going to let it happen again tonight! After seeing the smoke in the distance, he was determined to leave this village with a fighting chance. Tonight he was walking back and forth between the sections he repaired. He’d gotten a spear from Edgar’s stash of weapons that surprisingly wasn’t damaged and even though he had no idea how to use it, he hoped that the sight of him would scare off any Spiked that tried to undo his work.

So far, it seemed to be working. He’d just finished making another round and everything was still intact.

He was just about to turn around and start back when he felt some dust fall on his head. Then he heard it. It was the sound of brick scraping on brick and mortar crumbling. He looked up, trying to pierce the mists, but he couldn’t make anything out. Suddenly, out of the gloom, a brick plummeted to the ground, missing him by inches. Someone was trying to bring down his newly repaired section right on top of him!

Panicked, he started to run out of the way. A coin shot from the top of the wall and landed right in front of him, pulling him to a stop. The point was obvious. If he tried to flee this way, he’d be killed. Porridge spun and ran the other way, only to get the same result.

More bricks fell around him, one clipping his shoulder. Porridge cried out in pain, barely keeping his feet. His metal wouldn’t be of any use here. If he didn’t get out of here, it wouldn’t matter if he died by coin or falling debris.

Unfortunately, his moment of hesitance was all that was needed. The wall had reached past its tipping point and now it was all coming down. Porridge cried out and made one last dash for safety, but it was too late.

Pordin was buried under his own work and now no one would know his real name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aether was sitting at his desk, scribbling away as always. The candle stub he had for light wasn’t much, but he was too distracted to think about finding an actual lantern. He was busy working on a new list for tomorrow; one that would convince everyone of his innocence and get them focused on someone else. He was just about finished when a shadow fell over his desk.

“You know, I always knew your lists were lies”

Aether turned and cocked his head to the side. “My lists never lie. They tell exactly what they’re supposed to. They always point towards those that are our enemies. Just because that’s you and not us doesn’t mean they’re lies.”

Kukri shook his head in disgust.

“How long did it take you to figure me out?” Aether asked.

“Far longer than I would have liked.”

Aether smiled. “Ah yes, you’ve got quite a bit of innocent blood on your hands. I want to thank you for that. You made our job so much easier. In fact, one could say that we couldn’t have done it without you.’

‘Yes, you deserve to be commended for your assistance to our cause. Perhaps you’d like to join us? I have a list here somewhere that explains all the benefits in it for you, but the number one point on it is that you get to live.”

Kukri snorted, pulling out his favorite dagger. “I don’t think you’re in any position to make any threats and I’m here to make sure that you don’t make anymore at all.”

Kukri held the dagger in an open grip. He loved the way it gleamed in the light. He burn steel and picked out the line attached to his dagger.

Aether didn’t move. He actually seemed to be smiling even more. “Have it your way. But don’t say I didn’t warn you. In the end, we all go back to Ruin.”

Kukri flared his steel, sending the dagger directly into Aether’s chest. He sighed in relief when Aether slumped forward dead. He hadn’t killed anyone Spiked before and he had worried that it wouldn’t be that easy.

He went to step forward to retrieve his dagger when he felt a pulling sensation across his throat.

“Odd,” he thought. “Since when did it get so hard to breathe?”

He looked down and his shirt was already soaked with blood.

“What the h-” he thought before collapsing forward.

The new figure cleaned off the dagger it had used to slit Kukri’s throat and moved over to Aether’s body. The newcomer gently closed Aether’s eyes.

“Don’t worry brother,” the newcomer whispered. “They’ll all be joining you soon.”

Phew! Figuring out how to kill off three people took a lot longer than expected! Day 4 begins! The Day will be 35 hours long to put us roughly back on track (this write up is technically early from when the night was suppose to end).

Porridge was the VILLAGE RIOTER!
Kukri was the VILLAGE COINSHOT!
Aether was the
SPIKED SMOKER!

Ready? Fight!

Updated Player List

Edited by Metacognition

We finally got one off them! yes!

Granted, that was quite a price to pay. Rioter AND the Coinshot. I was worried about when the Mistborn would draw the Coinshot. However, now he's wide open and ready to be Seeked. That almost makes it worth it. Almost.

And I might as well get started with the accusations. Clancy!

EDIT: removed color (will fix the lack of green when I'm on a device other than my phone).

EDIT2: Fixed color.

Edited by little wilson

Gambles stood at the foot of two fresh graves, solemnly looking down at two more lost comrades.
"But we've finally got one." He said, tipping his bottle and letting some spill to the ground. An offering.
He up-ended the bottle and let all of it spill out, every single drop.

This was the last bottle he had found in Dyring's old cellar, the place was tapped out clean.
No more booze. No more wild gambles. Enough people had already died, and it was time to take the fight back to the enemies. Gambles crushed the empty bottle under his heel and turned around, briskly striding away from the graves.

The light of a nearby bonfire - a roaring tempest to dispose of the spiked remains - lit up Gambles eyes and they shone with a fierce, burning determination.
No more dead innocents. He silently vowed.

Figured we've reached a good time for character development. :D  But honestly have no idea who to suspect next. But hey, at least we finally got one!
Fantastic write-up of course, Meta. (But what's it take to give some regulars a hand and make one of us 'randomly' snap?)

Edit - Very happy I successfully called Aether out.
(Take that, Spiked!)

This is out best clue to work with. It is time to SCOUR this thread, and see who Aether has been subtly protecting and steering the votes and suspicion away from. I think Clancy is our best lead so far. But I'll still wait to cast my vote, for now.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Seriously? Well. That means that our initial guess of Mat on day one was right. Shall we go after him then?

The only problem I see with this is that Aether called Mat out. However, that was probably only more psychological games. He knew we were on his tail and had guessed his ways, so he claimed suspicion on his fellow Spiked.

@Clancy: Everyone alive except for you and darnam were part of a (cult) pm group during the mistborn's time as tineye. One of us has to be bad.

EDIT: So, it looks like we are close to the end. So many gone...

Laboriously, Beetle pushes himself out of the ash that has collected around him and walks towards the towns square. There, the rest of the citizens are congregrated, lazily preparing themselves for the fight with the Koloss that they know will take a miracle to survive. The lack of hope in the air makes everything monotone.

Beetle steps onto a soapbox but quickly moves back down, seeing that everyone is still nearly a full head above him. Stacking another one on top, he prepares himself to speak.

"People of Tyrian's Falls, our time has nearly come!" Nearly no one stirs, but Bettle presses on. "But it has not come yet! We achieved a victory last night. Kukri, you and your Survivor Blessed knives killed one of them, a smoker. Aether the list maker is no more. There are no more than three left! We can do this!"

But his gaze turns cold, and it falls onto Maill, the Cobbler. "But sacrifices must be made. I Seeked Gambles and Clancy, and I trust Wilson with my life. You and Mat must be eliminated. But you must be first, so we can retake the purity of our group. None of us can afford to die. Maill, you told me to lie to the village and say that I Seeked you, supposedly so I could take the chance to Seek someone else. But inside, you were panicking. I was so close to discovering your secret, and my friends have died because of you. We will expel Ruin from Tyrian's Falls!"

At the end, Beetle is heaving up and down. He raises his finger at the man in whom he had placed his trust. "My vote is for Maill."

Edited by bartbug

Beetle is right.
I was brought into the circle of trusted and then Kukri joined us. We talked everything out, Beetle told us he seeked Aether and he came up smoked.
Kukri revealed he was the coinshot and we made plans to have Kukri take him out.
We got one of them, but at the cost of our best weapon. Your sacrifice will not be in vain, Kukri!

I agree it had to have been Maill who sold us out.
And then my next best bet would be Mat.

Edit: Yes, it does seem like we did get screwed. But we did gain valuable information from those PMs. Kukri revealed himself knowing the full risk, and honestly it was a good risk. Because of his and Beetle's collaboration he was able to successfully target and take out a spiked. (also, Maill was already in the initial 'circle of trust' and there when I joined in)

So Maill, you must come make your defense. Wilson seems to be already deeply trusted by Beetle, and he made the strongest arguments against Aether that made Beetle decide to seek him.
Mat wasn't part of the group either.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

@Clancy: Everyone alive except for you and darnam were part of a (cult) pm group during the mistborn's time as tineye. One of us has to be bad.

I would be annoyed at not being invited except that at least one of your group pretty well has to be spiked. I do hope you guys haven't lost us the game by feeding the spiked information on your plans. Of course, given I allied even momentarily with Aether I guess I cannot blame you.

So the group was what?

You, Wilson, Gambles, Maill and Mat?

If what you are saying is true, then Maill seems the most likely to be the traitor, however I will hold off voting till I have at least heard what he has to say for himself. If we mess this up, we lose.

Edit: Gamma's post came in just before mine.

So you had Kukri as well and he revealed he was the coinshot?!

As if we needed more evidence for a traitor.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord