• 1 month later...

Hate to necro this thread, but I just read it for the first time and figured that I should offer a few supplemental explanations for what could be occurring here.

Explanation Uno: Drehy is a Kandra who took the bones of a eunuch Terrisman who died at some point during the Era 1 novels to Roshar. It seems no one mentioned this possibility, which would explain why a Terrisman with eunuch proportions is still alive. I don't believe this is the actual case, however, simply because of the aforementioned scene where Drehy asked Rock to shave his head bald, which is keeping in with the Era 1 Terrisman traditions. To me that suggests that he is a genuine Terrisman, though I suppose it could be an old kandra playing the part obsessively well, which they are prone to do.

Explanation Dos: We know from the Ars Arkanum of Shadows of Self that a specific alloy of ordinary metals and God metals could potentially create new Feruchemical abilities. It's been awhile since I've read the Era 1 novels, but given I've read Era 2 very recently I'm well aware that Atium has long been lost and I'm relatively certain that at the conclusion of HoA the Atium Mistings burnt up all of their resources. That being said, I think it's possible that someone, somewhere had some Atium stowed away. Whether or not that means they had the mind to experiment with it and create a usable alloy that could effectively make them either immortal and/or give them the ability to world hop, I can't really say, but it's a possibility that I don't think should be overlooked.

Explanation Tres: Drehy (knowing what we do of Terris naming conventions, does Drehy look Terris to anyone but me? *Cough* Aslydin, Tindwyl, etc) was an acquaintance of Sazed who, for whatever reason, was restored whole (or maybe not) and made immortal to explore the Cosmere. While I think someone has already said they don't believe Harmony would send of an agent of his own off Scadrial due to the fact he's more focused on his own world then others, in my mind that makes me think it's more likely he would send someone away to probe for information. I believe Harmony is smart enough to know that eventually his world is going to get involved in the greater scheme of things, and thus having an agent out there learning anything and everything he can to fill the gaps in his knowledge - especially on a world like Roshar where a rogue Shard bent on killing them all is currently stuck - is both logical and likely.

P. S. this is definitely a tangent, but I just realized that in Era 4 I would not be surprised if Fullborn would rely on a cadmiummind filled with breath to traverse space, burning steel to leap from one starship to another to lay siege to their enemies.

P. P. S. I didn't realize how much information that I think is critical for theory crafting is missing from the Coppermind until now. That being said. I think I'm going to start investing a lot of my time into fleshing it out.

I suggested that Drehy could be our kandra worldhopper. I also believe that his name sounds suspiciously tries terris like. However, we don't know enough about the area on Roshar he says he's from, so their names could be similar to terris names.

That being said, I'd like to believe he's kandra.

I dunno. On one hand I like the sound of the theory, but it feels too loose to hold water. Sometimes the butler really did do it. Kal hasn't traveled anywhere beyond hearthstone, and getting to the shattered plains, so for him not to recognize an accent isn't a stretch. I would have to check, but I also believe anytime Drehy is referred to by physical traits, is what it is another character's POV that is not intimate with the bridgemen enough at that time. The first quote is the first time we really get a description of him which makes sense. The second is a personal choice to shave his head bald. The third is I think Dalinar after having just started to getting to know the bridgemen. The fourth is either Navani or Shallan. I can check to be sure. But regardless who was being spoken to in the third and fourth instance, it seems to me that he is being referred to by his physical traits so the reader can identify him without having to take us out of the narrative since the character being spoken to doesn't know yet Drehy's name. True there are a lot of seemingly innocent comments brought up in Sanderson's books that end up being important or hint something, but I do not feel this is one of them. 

• 1 month later...

I'm necro-ing this thread since I asked Brandon during the Calamity Tour if Drehy was Terris or not.

Drehy is NOT Terris. As we know, Drehy was based on one of Brandon's friends. This same friend is often described as lanky, tall, and long-limbed. Every time a character in Stormlight Archive notices his characteristics, this is basically an inside joke with the friends who know who he is based on. 

It saddens me to say that this theory is dead, but I felt like all the pieces were there!

P. S. this is definitely a tangent, but I just realized that in Era 4 I would not be surprised if Fullborn would rely on a cadmiummind filled with breath to traverse space, burning steel to leap from one starship to another to lay siege to their enemies.

Uh, no. You'd still need a pressure suit to move between ships. Unless you like dying to explosive decompression. :)

I'm necro-ing this thread since I asked Brandon during the Calamity Tour if Drehy was Terris or not.

Drehy is NOT Terris. As we know, Drehy was based on one of Brandon's friends. This same friend is often described as lanky, tall, and long-limbed. Every time a character in Stormlight Archive notices his characteristics, this is basically an inside joke with the friends who know who he is based on. 

It saddens me to say that this theory is dead, but I felt like all the pieces were there!

I'd say you're bumping it at worst, the thread is only a month or so since it was last replied to, and it's highly relevant that you have WoB about Drehy. Did you post to the relevant signing thread as well, btw?

I'd say you're bumping it at worst, the thread is only a month or so since it was last replied to, and it's highly relevant that you have WoB about Drehy. Did you post to the relevant signing thread as well, btw?

I did post it in the relevant signing thread. I was at the Philly signing where we got a lot of good questions in. I asked about 10 questions without any RAFOs, which is pretty exciting. 

• Chaos locked this topic