Where was Marsh?

Kairos

Really, why would Harmony use Wax at all when Marsh is available?

Marsh never could have found Paalm. It would also be massively conspicuous for a guy with spikes pounded through his head to just outright kill the governor, and it could cause a mass panic. Wax provides subtlety, and due to his relationship with Lessie, Paalm was less likely to outright murder him.

It would not be impossible for Paalm to kill Ironeyes with a surprise ambush, just ripping out some spikes of him..

Marsh never could have found Paalm. It would also be massively conspicuous for a guy with spikes pounded through his head to just outright kill the governor, and it could cause a mass panic. Wax provides subtlety, and due to his relationship with Lessie, Paalm was less likely to outright murder him.

It would not be impossible for Paalm to kill Ironeyes with a surprise ambush, just ripping out some spikes of him..

It'd be very hard for her to do it imo.  Every power she could have Marsh has and more,  and he's had time to make much bigger stores.  If she goes for speed he could in theory tap even more because of having the time to make a much bigger storage,  and he could have compounded it.   Combine that with tin,  and the freaky inquisitor vision,  and Marsh would be very hard to get the drop on by surprise.  Unless the trellium spike doesn't get a blue line.....  I'll have to reread the end of SoS again to see if it mentions that.  

Anyways,  it was hard to kill normal inquisitors as a mistborn or feruchemist in the original trilogy.  Marsh has been upgraded far beyond that iirc HoA.

It'd be very hard for her to do it imo.  Every power she could have Marsh has and more,  and he's had time to make much bigger stores.  If she goes for speed he could in theory tap even more because of having the time to make a much bigger storage,  and he could have compounded it.   Combine that with tin,  and the freaky inquisitor vision,  and Marsh would be very hard to get the drop on by surprise.  Unless the trellium spike doesn't get a blue line.....  I'll have to reread the end of SoS again to see if it mentions that. 

It isn't about who has bigger stores, it's about who acts first. She can tap speed and kill him before he reacts to her. She wins by pulling a single spike. Marsh's inability to be subtle and the fact that Paalm would be willing to kill him, unlike Wax, make him ill-suited for this job in my opinion.

It isn't about who has bigger stores, it's about who acts first. She can tap speed and kill him before he reacts to her. She wins by pulling a single spike. Marsh's inability to be subtle and the fact that Paalm would be willing to kill him, unlike Wax, make him ill-suited for this job in my opinion.

Ruin gave inquisitors of his tier a protective plate over the connector spike.  So she would actually have to pull both eye spikes or behead him.  With inquisitor sensory input,  surprising him to where he can't react and tap speed himself before that happens seems like it would be very very difficult.  

I believe that Brandon has stated that Marsh is checking out the Southern Scadrians.

And...well, because Marsh has a mind of his own, and doesn't always want to do what Harmony asks him to?

Oh, well, that would explain it.

Huh. That's actually... I wonder if Marsh has a plan for being controlled through spikes like the Kandra do.

Though he probably will if Marsh randomly goes insane trying to commit mass genocide.

With so many spikes Marsh can't do much.

My guess is it is an agreement among friends. Marsh does his own thing but when Harmony needs him he answers the call. Anything less and Harmony could just use Marsh as his own person avatar. With so many spikes in him there is nothing that Marsh could do if he got on Harmony's bad side.

Though he probably will if Marsh randomly goes insane trying to commit mass genocide.

With so many spikes Marsh can't do much.

I'm not entirely convinced Harmony would directly intervene if Marsh went all Genocidal. Unlike Paalm, Marsh has no direct contact with Saze forbidding it or requiring obedience/service like the Kandra have (that we know of). I think if anything he would fall into the "Harmony's Ruin" end of the spectrum and Sazed might just let him carry on... With that said, I doubt he would be pleased with the situation.

I'm not entirely convinced Harmony would directly intervene if Marsh went all Genocidal. Unlike Paalm, Marsh has no direct contact with Saze forbidding it or requiring obedience/service like the Kandra have (that we know of). I think if anything he would fall into the "Harmony's Ruin" end of the spectrum and Sazed might just let him carry on... With that said, I doubt he would be pleased with the situation.

He would most likely try to send a group of agents to kill him or make sure he is killed instead of taking over. Shards find it easier to circunvent their intents if they do so as indirecty as possible if Preservation is any indication. Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Alternate theory.  He might be able to stop him easily as he'd be ruining Marsh but preserving others and thus both intents are mildly satisfied.

I didn't mean whether Sazed would try to control him, I don't think he will(though if it's a question of 'the greater good'...)

I mean, does Marsh have a contingency plan like the Kandra? After last time, he probably would, but I have no idea how it would work.

Given that Marsh was already planning and trying to resist when Ati held Ruin and was controlling him, I'm willing to bet he would do the same to Harmony. I imagine that Sazed talked with him in the early days and Marsh laid down an ultimatum saying that if Harmony tried to control him like that, he'd pull his linchpin and be done with it. Harmony agrees out of respect to let him be an autonomous agent rather than let Marsh commit suicide. 

• Chaos locked this topic