Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

On 08/10/2017 at 7:18 PM, Nathrangking said:

There are a many people who believe that jews wear yarmulke's to cover the horns that we supposedly have. That idea actually came from a mistaken translation of the hebrew bible. The latin translation of the portion that deals with Moses descending Mount Sinai  with the second set of stone tablets mistranslated the word karnayim (beams) as keren which means horn. That led to Michelangelo's moses being depicted with two horns. That whole misconception took off from there. I do believe that at least on your first point you are absolutely correct as to where that idea may have developed. It should be noted that the czarist propaganda work the protocol's of the elders of zion lay out this idea in stomach sickening length. @Delightful your analysis is spot on and a pretty accurate depiction of things as they stand. 

Just being pedantic here. The exact quote is " כי קרן אור פניו וייראו מגשת אליו". "Ki karan or panav ve'yire'u migeshet elav". "For his face shone and they feared to approach him." 

Other than that you were spot on. "Keren" (קרן) can mean horn or beam of light. Karan (spelled the same way because vowels are picked up from context in Hebrew) is the past tense verb form of the word, so the correct translation would be "his face emitted light." (or "the light of his face sprang forth" depending on how much you pay attention to word order.)

Unfortunately, the translators were idiots and assumed it made more sense if a side-effect of talking to G-D was spontaneous horn growth.

(although I wouldn't really mind having horns...they would be super cool.)

On 10/10/2017 at 5:04 AM, AngelEy3 said:

Haven't thought about that in a while. To the deniers I ask this; If jet fuel can melt steel beams, then how does it not melt the internal components of a jet engine? 

1) The alloys in a jet engine are specifically designed to hold up to heat and pressure. They're certainly not the same alloys as used in buildings (and use metals like titanium and aluminum, which you won't find in building superstructure).

2) The jet fuel was basically just the accelerant. As other portions of the towers caught on fire, the chemical makeup and heat properties changed.

3) The fire didn't have to MELT the beams - it just had to soften/weaken them enough to where they could no longer hold the load of the building. They didn't liquefy, they just warped and finally broke, starting a cascade failure. Kinetic energy took care of the rest.

@Pinnacle-Ferring & @Delightful Horns certainly are cool looking (have you seen fauns/satyrs? They pull it off good!). The whole horn=demon/evil thing always struck me as stupid even as a kid and I didn't even know about religion back then! To me all the features of demonizing always just seemed cool to me so I never thought of it as exclusively evil, only the attitude that determined if someone was 'evil', never the appearance. Heck I had a persona a few years back that was a demon and he was the nicest person you could meet so that shows how I feel about that stupidity. I even have a rough draft story where the hero is a demon and the villains are angels just to play off that fact about good isn't always 'pretty/beautiful' and evil isn't always 'ugly'

55 minutes ago, Draginon said:

@Pinnacle-Ferring & @Delightful Horns certainly are cool looking (have you seen fauns/satyrs? They pull it off good!). The whole horn=demon/evil thing always struck me as stupid even as a kid and I didn't even know about religion back then! To me all the features of demonizing always just seemed cool to me so I never thought of it as exclusively evil, only the attitude that determined if someone was 'evil', never the appearance. Heck I had a persona a few years back that was a demon and he was the nicest person you could meet so that shows how I feel about that stupidity. I even have a rough draft story where the hero is a demon and the villains are angels just to play off that fact about good isn't always 'pretty/beautiful' and evil isn't always 'ugly'

If you like stories like that, I'd recommend looking at Dark Souls.

On 10/15/2017 at 6:04 AM, Delightful said:

Rude sexist men who tell me to sit at the back of the bus. 

I ignored him and the driver yelled at him and he moved. :angry:

So, wait... Was this guy already seated? And you took his seat? Which of you got to the seat first?  

16 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

So, wait... Was this guy already seated? And you took his seat? Which of you got to the seat first?  

I sat in front of him. 

Hes from an extreme Jewish sect that believes men should never look at women for modesty ergo women have to sit behind men on public transport. 

7 hours ago, Delightful said:

I sat in front of him. 

Hes from an extreme Jewish sect that believes men should never look at women for modesty ergo women have to sit behind men on public transport. 

Oh wow. Something like that was completely off my radar. I assumed the two of you were arguing over who got there first. So sorry you have to put up with stuff like that. :(