Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

"If you hate this story so much, why don't YOU write a bestselling novel/popular fanfic???? You need to become a bestselling author before you have the right to judge anyone else's amazing work which is 1,000,000,000 times more amazing than any crap you could ever write!!!!!!"

If I even need to point out the flaws in that logic, I'm afraid this conversation is a waste of time.

"If you hate this story so much, why don't YOU write a bestselling novel/popular fanfic???? You need to become a bestselling author before you have the right to judge anyone else's amazing work which is 1,000,000,000 times more amazing than any crap you could ever write!!!!!!"

If I even need to point out the flaws in that logic, I'm afraid this conversation is a waste of time.

I'm curious: which story do you hate so much that it sparked this conversation?

And a related pet peeve: people who say you need to watch a movie or read a book before you decide you don't like it.

And a related pet peeve: people who say you need to watch a movie or read a book before you decide you don't like it.

None in particular. It just really annoys me when a story's fans make a critic's authorial credentials a prerequisite for offering any sort of negative feedback. Sometimes the author is totally cool about it and tells their self-appointed buffer zone to back off, but other times it goes to their heads and they won't accept any sort of negative feedback. It keeps a lot of otherwise talented writers from receiving the criticism they need to improve.

Gonna have to agree with those other people. If you're going just by what you've heard about a work you don't have the right to judge it. You can say that it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, but declaring you hate something without even taking a look for yourself is illogical.

Case in point: do you know how many people scoff at Brandon Sanderson, never once touching his books but telling all who will listen what pieces of garbage they and other fantasy books are?

Gonna have to agree with those other people. If you're going just by what you've heard about a work you don't have the right to judge it. You can say that it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, but declaring you hate something without even taking a look for yourself is illogical.

Case in point: do you know how many people scoff at Brandon Sanderson, never once touching his books but telling all who will listen what pieces of garbage they and other fantasy books are?

And to them, fantasy books would be garbage. I, like many other people, know what I like and can judge fairly accurately when something is not my cup of tea. I do not need to read any of Fifty Shades of Grey to know that I would not like it. I would even argue that there are indirect means by which I could label it as mere-wish-fulfillment-escapist drivel, but that's another conversation all together. 

In other words, there are plenty of books I would like to read and I need to make judgement calls on what to not waste my time on. When I read drivel, I want it to be drivel I enjoy, and I'm pretty good at this point in knowing what I like and what will enhance my life. 

I have to agree with you as well.

I recall, over a decade ago, how everyone kept talking about Harry Potter and how marvelous it was. Goblet of Fire had just been released. I recall how I watched the phenomenon while being vaguely annoyed with it as the arrogance of youth wanted I had to automatically hate any work being labelled as main frame. In other words, if everyone loved it, then it must be terrible as I, of course, was above this none-sense  :rolleyes:

However, I also recall how, at some point, I felt I was wrongly judging a book without having bothered to read it. There are two sides to every story and you can't possibly hate a book you haven't read... 

I thus bought the damnation books with the firm intend to read them AND then rant against how terrible they were.... I would become the defender of all Harry Potter haters convinced the fact I was able to negatively critic a book so widely read would be the living proof of my superior intellect  :rolleyes:

I was hooked after 10 pages when reading the words: "Harry Potter, you are a wizard."  :ph34r: And felt like a complete idiot for thinking being popular meant bad.

So there, I ended liking a book I had conditioned myself towards hating simply because it was too popular. I'd thus say you can't truly hate something until you either read it or watch it. You may think you won't like it, but you may also be proven wrong.

In the case of Brandon, I had notice a growing anti-Brandon movement and it saddens me  :( The number of "I hate Brandon" or "Way of Kings is the most boring book ever" I end up stumbling upon on the glorious tool that is Reddit  :ph34r: is appealing. Each time someone writes a negative comment about any book Brandon has written, there always is another idiot to pop in and gloat at his happiness to see someone bad mouth on the currently most popular author. There, simply because he is popular, Brandon now attracts hordes of negative critics who didn't even bothered to finish the book because "it was too boring". Tastes are, of course, entirely subjective, but I have a moral qualm are reading such critics as I feel they are unjustified.

And to them, fantasy books would be garbage. I, like many other people, know what I like and can judge fairly accurately when something is not my cup of tea. I do not need to read any of Fifty Shades of Grey to know that I would not like it. I would even argue that there are indirect means by which I could label it as mere-wish-fulfillment-escapist drivel, but that's another conversation all together. 

In other words, there are plenty of books I would like to read and I need to make judgement calls on what to not waste my time on. When I read drivel, I want it to be drivel I enjoy, and I'm pretty good at this point in knowing what I like and what will enhance my life. 

Not being interested in reading a book is one thing, negatively critiquing a book you haven't read if another thing. 

Edited by maxal

In defense of Orlion, there was a Duel Masters card with the flavor text (Paraphrasing) "How do you know you wouldnt like being tortured? Have you ever tried it?"

There are arguments for both, I dont feel like badly written erotica would give me anything, then again Ive changed my opinion in both ways regarding things, some are better than I thought they would be, some are worse.

I'm....kind of in the middle here. On the one hand, I firmly support reading something before ranting about it, especially if your rants will be of the "degradation of society, hell in a handbasket, repent ye sinners, buy gold" variety. Being a Potterfan descended from two incredibly Dursleyish parents does that to you. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I think everyone reaches a point where they know their own tastes well enough to look at a piece of entertainment and make an educated guess as to whether they'll like it or not. If my mom hands me an inspirational Amish romance with the promise that I'll love it if I just give it a try, I know there's an excellent chance she will be wrong. Amish romance bores me, and I know that unless someone grows wings or the handsome "Englisher" is actually a member of the werewolf Mafia, it will continue to bore me.

So....I can't really have a strong opinion on this one. I'm officially on the fence.

I'm....kind of in the middle here. On the one hand, I firmly support reading something before ranting about it, especially if your rants will be of the "degradation of society, hell in a handbasket, repent ye sinners, buy gold" variety. Being a Potterfan descended from two incredibly Dursleyish parents does that to you. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I think everyone reaches a point where they know their own tastes well enough to look at a piece of entertainment and make an educated guess as to whether they'll like it or not. If my mom hands me an inspirational Amish romance with the promise that I'll love it if I just give it a try, I know there's an excellent chance she will be wrong. Amish romance bores me, and I know that unless someone grows wings or the handsome "Englisher" is actually a member of the werewolf Mafia, it will continue to bore me.

So....I can't really have a strong opinion on this one. I'm officially on the fence.

My point is it is fine to refuse to read a book you firmly believe is going to bore you as you are, of course, aware of your personal tastes. It gets complicated when you use a book you haven't read as a mean to criticize an entire phenomenon simply because it has gotten popular... It is wrong to use the label put on a book to criticize it when you have failed to read it.

For instance, I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey. I will likely not read it as I don't think I will enjoy it. However, I don't pop in any subreddit dedicated to this book or any random Internet forum just to gloat each time I read a negative critic on the book, happily joining in as I would think female oriented erotica is dumb. 

I may not be interested in this literacy genre, but who am I to offer a critic of the book if I haven't read it? I may say such stories tend to bore me and treat the book as a member of larger group, but I can't take a firm stand and call a book out for being poor until I have bothered to read it. I see so many people do it to Brandon....  :(

It also goes along with people who'd refuse to read fantasy simply because the label has a negative connotation... How many times have I received the crooked eyebrow upon stating I love to read fantasy? Heck, I hardly even mention it to people as I rarely receive positive reactions... So why are all of these people thinking badly of my reading choices when they never bothered to read one book? They could simply say they prefer reading polar or biographies and it'll be fine, but criticizing an entire genre simply on hearsay is negative.

I must also state I am somewhat dumbfounded there is such thing as Amish romance.....  :ph34r: I... was not aware of that  :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

There's a difference between deciding that you probably won't like a thing, and looking other people in the eye and telling them that the thing they love that you've never touched sucks. A lot of people on the Internet veer towards the latter.

There's a difference between deciding that you probably won't like a thing, and looking other people in the eye and telling them that the thing they love that you've never touched sucks. A lot of people on the Internet veer towards the latter.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

On the fence is a good place to be :)

I don't think I would ever go so far as to say something would contribute to the fall of humanity. I think there's Art and Mere Entertainment and a spectrum between the two.

Now, what I will say is that the more specific your critique is, the better off you'll sound if you can show you've read some or have a concept of the work being critiqued. I've read reviews before that mention plot points that never occurred and therefore look foolish.

So one should try a work to review and rate it as a common courtesy. But if someone asks me why I don't read Amish murder mysteries, I'll respond that I can not be bothered with it. I may also call it garbage water and claim that I partake of higher art as I return to read my comics about a man that karate chops robots to death.

You could also have a moral objection to Fofty Shades or Amish romance or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's bad art. And art by definition is super subjective so...

Look as long as it's not "society has gone to the dogs, repent ye sinners" variety, I'm ok with critisicm. I guess it's like with anything, criticise the art, and not the artist or audience.

(Unless it's like racist or hateful art but that's a whole nother story)

Edit: clarification: if you're going to seriously critique something you need to have read and thought about it with an open mind. If you're just going to bash it blindly, well then you have your own problems to sort out.

Edited by Delightful

Okay, hmm.

Phrases like "don't judge a book by its cover."

Oh, the sentiment I totally agree with. It's the actual phrase: Of course you judge a book by its cover. That's the whole point. If I see a gorgeous special edition Complete Works of Shakespeare, I'm going to buy it; if I see a flimsy paperback that looks like the graphic designer/layout editor person didn't to their job right, I'm probably going to pass it by, if only because I don't want to have that blatant sin of a cover sitting on my bookshelf. 

Okay, hmm.

Phrases like "don't judge a book by its cover."

Oh, the sentiment I totally agree with. It's the actual phrase: Of course you judge a book by its cover. That's the whole point. If I see a gorgeous special edition Complete Works of Shakespeare, I'm going to buy it; if I see a flimsy paperback that looks like the graphic designer/layout editor person didn't to their job right, I'm probably going to pass it by, if only because I don't want to have that blatant sin of a cover sitting on my bookshelf.

The real life version applies too. If someone is dressed in all black, black nail polish and everything, they are probably goth.

We do generally speaking "Judge books by their covers". But personally I think we should do what we can to look deeper than the cover. The girl dressed up goth might have been wearing a sparkling evening dress last night and volunteer in an old age home every Friday or something. You never know.

But yeah, judging by externals is a automatic thing we all do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

You could also have a moral objection to Fofty Shades or Amish romance or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's bad art. And art by definition is super subjective so...

That is true. We may dislike a given art form, but I feel to criticize an individual product you need to at least read/seen it. 

We do generally speaking "Judge books by their covers". But personally I think we should do what we can to look deeper than the cover. The girl dressed up goth might have been wearing a sparkling evening dress last night and volunteer in an old age home every Friday or something. You never know.

But yeah, judging by externals is a automatic thing we all do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And the pretty blond dressed in pink from head to toe who loves fashion may actually have a brain just as the individual who tested ESFJ on the MBTI test may actually not be dumb.

A book with a horrid cover may actually be good, but I'll admit I may be ashamed to carry it around  :ph34r:

We should all have, as a goal, to try not to judge based on appearances even if we are all guilty of doing it, from times to times.