Sarcasm

Pet Peeves

2,610 posts in this topic

English is strange. On one hand it is kind of inherently cool. For example the swedish translations of Mistborn havent even bothered to translate the word Mistborn, because it would sound ridiculous in swedish. You cant just put two words together like that and end up with something that sounds cool like you can in english.

On the other hand english is so storming stupid. The spelling, the grammar, he... it just makes little sense most of the time.

But at least it is cool

English is strange. On one hand it is kind of inherently cool. For example the swedish translations of Mistborn havent even bothered to translate the word Mistborn, because it would sound ridiculous in swedish. You cant just put two words together like that and end up with something that sounds cool like you can in english.

On the other hand english is so storming stupid. The spelling, the grammar, he... it just makes little sense most of the time.

But at least it is cool

So it is essentially the linguistic version of awesome but impractical.

And vape-ers! For awhile there, they used their stupid e-cigarettes everywhere, even in bookstores! And they would try to make the biggest cloud and chuckle like middle schoolers saying "butt"under their breath.

I do not approve of vaping. Come on. Inhaling smoke is probably not good for your lungs, stop kidding yourself, and I don't want to ingest your stupid smoke indoors. I thought we were past this idiocy. Truly abhorrent.

I do not approve of vaping. Come on. Inhaling smoke is probably not good for your lungs, stop kidding yourself, and I don't want to ingest your stupid smoke indoors. I thought we were past this idiocy. Truly abhorrent.

Seconded... or thirded? Whatever number we're up to -ed.

It's mildly better than cigarette smoke but I still gag every time I have to walk through a cloud of it. Doing what makes you happy is something I'm generally all for but when your habit influences perfectly innocent passers by who almost certainly don't share your enthusiasm then it's time to get a new hobby or at the very least, do it far, far away.

I guess this is as good a place as any to share my weird quirk: 

I like the smell of tobacco smoke. 

Mind you, I don't enjoy walking through clouds of it, but if I catch a whiff….I actually like the way it smells. I have no idea why. 

Vaping, on the other hand….I don't know why, but the smell of it makes me gag. Maybe it's just too darned sweet. I don't know why I like the less socially acceptable one and hate the more accepted alternative, but there you go. 

Mind you, I don't enjoy walking through clouds of it, but if I catch a whiff….I actually like the way it smells. I have no idea why. 

Vaping, on the other hand….I don't know why, but the smell of it makes me gag. Maybe it's just too darned sweet. I don't know why I like the less socially acceptable one and hate the more accepted alternative, but there you go. 

I have a few friends like that, one also thinks the smell of gasoline is nice and hates the smell of bread though so I think the part of her brain that's supposed to recognize smells properly got reversed or something.

And it's totally fine to think smoke smells nice, just indulge that somewhere else so that people who don't think it smells nice don't have to walk through it all the time. I hate most strong smells so I get almost as annoyed with people who overapply perfume or have recently painted their nails.

I have a few friends like that, one also thinks the smell of gasoline is nice and hates the smell of bread though so I think the part of her brain that's supposed to recognize smells properly got reversed or something.

And it's totally fine to think smoke smells nice, just indulge that somewhere else so that people who don't think it smells nice don't have to walk through it all the time. I hate most strong smells so I get almost as annoyed with people who overapply perfume or have recently painted their nails.

Haha, maybe. :P 

Yeah, I don't smoke and have no plans to start, and I don't actively seek out smokers or anything like that; I'll just walk past a place where someone was recently smoking and think, "Oh, that smells good." I'm with you on the space thing, though. Smoking and vaping should be done well away from others, out of courtesy at the very least. 

On a somewhat related note, I have never in my life tasted coffee, but I find the smell of it somewhat appealing.

Spoilered for vaguely political things: 

Right now? When the word "appropriation" is applied to everything. 

Appropriation isn't a bad term. I mean, the meaning is bad, but am I upset the term exists? Not at all. I'm glad it does. Naming things like that is the first step toward raising awareness, and raising awareness is the first step toward curbing the problem. 

But now, the BBC is running a story about "Is it OK for White People to Have Dreadlocks?" The term "cultural appropriation" was used. 

I'm sorry, but I really feel like using "appropriation" to describe a white person with dreadlocks cheapens the term. And for what? It's a white guy in dreads. They exist on every college campus in the US, and in a couple of high schools at least. Chances are they'll cut those things off before they're thirty. And, again, it's a hairstyle. Can we talk about problems that actually matter? There are plenty of worse things in the world than a white guy with dreads, and the more time we spend on his choice of hairstyle, the less time we'll have for those problems.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

On a somewhat related note, I have never in my life tasted coffee, but I find the smell of it somewhat appealing.

I'm pretty sure the smell of coffee was designed to be universally appealing. :P

Haha, maybe. :P

Yeah, I don't smoke and have no plans to start, and I don't actively seek out smokers or anything like that; I'll just walk past a place where someone was recently smoking and think, "Oh, that smells good." I'm with you on the space thing, though. Smoking and vaping should be done well away from others, out of courtesy at the very least. 

Finally.  Proof that we're not the same person involved in wacky time travel shenanigans.

I'm very sorry to report that it tastes nothing like it smells.

Finally.  Proof that we're not the same person involved in wacky time travel shenanigans.

Nah, there is also possibility with alternate timelines time travel paradox. Or tastes change. Or anything. That's not proof yet :P

Nah, there is also possibility with alternate timelines time travel paradox. Or tastes change. Or anything. That's not proof yet :P

Oh, no, it's definite proof.  I am deathly allergic to tobacco smoke.  When I was 8, I was just getting over a nasty bout of croup when I got a pretty solid dollop of exposure to secondhand smoke.  It put me in the hospital.  I'll probably never know whether it just triggered my first asthma attack that was gonna happen someday anyway or if it actually caused some sort of damage to my respiratory system that caused my asthma period.

Edited by Kaymyth

Oh, no, it's definite proof.  I am deathly allergic to tobacco smoke.  When I was 8, I was just getting over a nasty bout of croup when I got a pretty solid dollop of exposure to secondhand smoke.  It put me in the hospital.  I'll probably never know whether it just triggered my first asthma attack that was gonna happen someday anyway or if it actually caused some sort of damage to my respiratory system that caused my asthma period.

Yeah but what if it gets cured in the future and that's when time travel is invented?  :blink:

Yeah but what if it gets cured in the future and that's when time travel is invented?  :blink:

Twi is younger than I am. :P

(I wish there were a cure for asthma.  Being able to roam freely without playing a constant game of Dodge the Smokers would be nice.)

Twi is younger than I am. :P

(I wish there were a cure for asthma.  Being able to roam freely without playing a constant game of Dodge the Smokers would be nice.)

They also invent a youthening ray? That has a side effect of amnesia?

They also invent a youthening ray? That has a side effect of amnesia?

:mellow:

Sorry.  Sense of humor up and left.  I'm just wallowing in annoyance at my own weakness now.

Spoilered for vaguely political things: 

Right now? When the word "appropriation" is applied to everything. 

Appropriation isn't a bad term. I mean, the meaning is bad, but am I upset the term exists? Not at all. I'm glad it does. Naming things like that is the first step toward raising awareness, and raising awareness is the first step toward curbing the problem. 

But now, the BBC is running a story about "Is it OK for White People to Have Dreadlocks?" The term "cultural appropriation" was used. 

I'm sorry, but I really feel like using "appropriation" to describe a white person with dreadlocks cheapens the term. And for what? It's a white guy in dreads. They exist on every college campus in the US, and in a couple of high schools at least. Chances are they'll cut those things off before they're thirty. And, again, it's a hairstyle. Can we talk about problems that actually matter? There are plenty of worse things in the world than a white guy with dreads, and the more time we spend on his choice of hairstyle, the less time we'll have for those problems.

My sister had dreadlocks for a bit while in college.

I thought it looked terrible, but the words 'cultural appropriation' never really crossed my mind. :P

One of my pet peeves is the great prejudice against books in schools; at my high school it's the worst I've seen it. They're weirdly lenient on cell phones but books are treated like the devil. In biology I had a book on my desk. I made pains not to look at it so that Mr. Teacher wouldn't tell me to put it away (or 'put it up', the strange phrase they use around these parts that drives me up the wall because my backpack is lower than my desk I cannot put anything up). And Mr. Teacher walks by and says "pUT tHe BoOK uP mIStrUNNer thIS iS nO TimE tO bE rEaDiNG!!!!!!!!!"

I was not pleased.

Just because I have a book on my desk does not mean I am reading it. It means I don't want it messed up by being jostled around in my backpack. And if I read after I finish my assignment, that's okay, because I've finished the assignment. You're allowing the entire rest of the class to be on their phones for practically the whole of class and you don't care, but heaven forbid someone is reading. Can't have that in schools.

My sister had dreadlocks for a bit while in college.

I thought it looked terrible, but the words 'cultural appropriation' never really crossed my mind. :P

One of my pet peeves is the great prejudice against books in schools; at my high school it's the worst I've seen it. They're weirdly lenient on cell phones but books are treated like the devil. In biology I had a book on my desk. I made pains not to look at it so that Mr. Teacher wouldn't tell me to put it away (or 'put it up', the strange phrase they use around these parts that drives me up the wall because my backpack is lower than my desk I cannot put anything up). And Mr. Teacher walks by and says "pUT tHe BoOK uP mIStrUNNer thIS iS nO TimE tO bE rEaDiNG!!!!!!!!!"

I was not pleased.

Just because I have a book on my desk does not mean I am reading it. It means I don't want it messed up by being jostled around in my backpack. And if I read after I finish my assignment, that's okay, because I've finished the assignment. You're allowing the entire rest of the class to be on their phones for practically the whole of class and you don't care, but heaven forbid someone is reading. Can't have that in schools.

That is insane to me.

Of course, I'm a really, really poor litmus test of this sort of thing, because I was that kid who was always reading in class during the lesson, and driving the teachers nuts because no matter what question they tried to catch me out with, I'd always know the answer.  And so they'd eventually throw their hands up and let me get away with it.

This was a terrible idea on their part.

I was reading because I was bored.  So much of school was rehashing old material, and I was that kid who didn't need to be taught something more than once to get it.  And on those occasions when there would be new stuff, great!  I'd pay attention for the first run-through, get it, and then check out again because they had to drill it into everyone else's heads.  So I learned at a very early age that I didn't need to put any real effort forth to learn things because it was all so easy.

What I needed was an accelerated learning track, but I was stuck in a small, rural school that didn't have the resources.  And heck, even in larger schools, so many teachers dismiss the gifted kids as "eh, they're okay, 'cause they're learning everything."

They're not OK.

They're not even close to OK.

My first round of college wound up kicking my chull because I had absolutely no idea how to study.  I'd never had to do it before, so it was all just some sort of vague concept for me.  And I still thought it didn't apply to me, until suddenly it did, and I had absolutely no idea what to do about it.  So I wound up washing out due to being in no way prepared for any of it.

And I was one of the lucky ones.

So many gifted kids drop out of high school.  They're bored, they're ostracized, they're aimless, and nobody seems to know what to do with them.  They ought to be getting specialized educational intervention the same as learning disabled kids do (and news flash:  some kids with learning disabilities are also gifted; schools have even less idea of what to do with them).  But because they're "smart" nobody thinks to do anything with them.  The lucky ones get straight A's and zip through and run into a brick wall when they get into college.  The unlucky ones lose interest and drop out, maybe wind up in jail or overdosed or outright suicide, and people shake their heads and call them "troubled" without ever giving any thought as to how they're the ones that caused those troubles.

We're losing our best and brightest in droves, and all anyone at the top seems to want to do is throw in more standardized testing with one hand and gut all of the funding for what education system we have left with the other.

ETA:  Sorry, this sorta turned into a soapbox rant.  :unsure:

Edited by Kaymyth

Spoilered for length and political-ness.

I get that. Where I'm from, similar things happened recently.

So, there was this new Minister of Education who wanted to "revolutionize the system". Now, that might not be such a bad thing. The system isn't perfect and could stand to be improved. However, instead of optimizing it, he began to cater to the less gifted students. Why is this a problem, you may ask. Well, he did this by limiting the gifted students. He literally said that students were not ALLOWED to take more than a certain amount of classes. He decided to equalize the youth of the entire country by bringing them all down to the same level. There are no words to describe this kind of idiocy.

You would think he would know better, considering he was the ONLY Minister of Education in history to have actually been a teacher in the past.

Luckily, I was already too far into the old program for him to affect me and he was replaced by someone far more competent since (he has his hands full now, trying to undo all the harm his predecessor caused). But my sister had the misfortune to be in the ONE year that was affected by his ridiculous laws.

Anyway, sorry I caught the rant bug from Kaymyth. I just kinda needed to vent about this.

Meep... In my defense... I only use it out doors or in my own house. I smoke and "vape" (I hate that term its so storming pretentious) but if I'm inside a public place I believe it's rude. Even out doors I still try to avoid doing it when I'm in a group. On the other hand, if I walk away politely to get my nicotene fix, for the love of God don't walk near me and start bitching. I walked away to not be around people so I don't bother them so don't bother me. I know it's unhealthy I know there's probably some unknown form of badness it'll give me but please... Let me do my own thing. When I was only smoking I was smoking at least a pack a day, now I almost soley use my ecig and smoke when I'm drinking. I don't stink anymore, my vapor smells like dragonfruit and pomegranate instead of smoke and I'm a generally pleasant person to be around when I have obscene amounts of caffein and nicotene in my system... Not so much when I dont. /end defensive rant. I get what you guys are saying though, the chulls that do it when theres a lot of people around for the sole purpose of bothering them need punched in the squibblies. I love the huge clouds, I feel like a fog machine but please, take it outside.

Spoilered for length and political-ness.

I get that. Where I'm from, similar things happened recently.

So, there was this new Minister of Education who wanted to "revolutionize the system". Now, that might not be such a bad thing. The system isn't perfect and could stand to be improved. However, instead of optimizing it, he began to cater to the less gifted students. Why is this a problem, you may ask. Well, he did this by limiting the gifted students. He literally said that students were not ALLOWED to take more than a certain amount of classes. He decided to equalize the youth of the entire country by bringing them all down to the same level. There are no words to describe this kind of idiocy.

You would think he would know better, considering he was the ONLY Minister of Education in history to have actually been a teacher in the past.

Luckily, I was already too far into the old program for him to affect me and he was replaced by someone far more competent since (he has his hands full now, trying to undo all the harm his predecessor caused). But my sister had the misfortune to be in the ONE year that was affected by his ridiculous laws.

Anyway, sorry I caught the rant bug from Kaymyth. I just kinda needed to vent about this.

Ugh.  He was probably one of those cremhole teachers who got mortally offended every time he came across a student who knew something he didn't.  Being stuck where I was at was bad enough; I can't even imagine trying to slog through with that ugliness looming over me.

A lot of folks don't realize that gifted kids aren't just smarter; they tend to be a lot more emotionally sensitive and prone to downward psychological spirals.

Meep... In my defense... I only use it out doors or in my own house. I smoke and "vape" (I hate that term its so storming pretentious) but if I'm inside a public place I believe it's rude. Even out doors I still try to avoid doing it when I'm in a group. On the other hand, if I walk away politely to get my nicotene fix, for the love of God don't walk near me and start bitching. I walked away to not be around people so I don't bother them so don't bother me. I know it's unhealthy I know there's probably some unknown form of badness it'll give me but please... Let me do my own thing. When I was only smoking I was smoking at least a pack a day, now I almost soley use my ecig and smoke when I'm drinking. I don't stink anymore, my vapor smells like dragonfruit and pomegranate instead of smoke and I'm a generally pleasant person to be around when I have obscene amounts of caffein and nicotene in my system... Not so much when I dont. /end defensive rant. I get what you guys are saying though, the chulls that do it when theres a lot of people around for the sole purpose of bothering them need punched in the squibblies. I love the huge clouds, I feel like a fog machine but please, take it outside.

I, at least, appreciate the fact that the vapey thingies don't threaten to immediately shut down my lungs on approach.  I could probably walk into an elevator with you and not feel my chest tighten!

Yeah I wouldn't do it in an elevator anyways... Unless I was alone so I could walk out like a rockstar with a portable fog machine. I prefer to be a BreathTaker in a different sense. If I'm smoking I'm way away from people. If I'm walking around smoking and a kid walks by I hold my breath and put the cigarette way up high so the smoke doesn't hit him.

Yeah I wouldn't do it in an elevator anyways... Unless I was alone so I could walk out like a rockstar with a portable fog machine. I prefer to be a BreathTaker in a different sense. If I'm smoking I'm way away from people. If I'm walking around smoking and a kid walks by I hold my breath and put the cigarette way up high so the smoke doesn't hit him.

Heh.  I actually meant in the thirdhand sort of way - I even have problems sharing an elevator with people who are just coming in from a smoke break.  The thirdhand stuff clinging to them may not be quite enough to trigger an asthma attack, but it does cause some coughing and a general feeling of illness.

I have a couple of smoker friends who have learned that they can't even hug me if they've been smoking recently.  My lungs are pretty pathetic.

Edited by Kaymyth

I understand. Even when I was heavily smoking I hated the smell on other people even on myself. If I smoke I wash my hands vigorously and try to air out my clothes.