Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Well, I just use English equivalent of my name. "Jack" sounds cool :)

Pestis, does spelling it like "Maya" helps? Or just claim you're from Roshar and that "j" is spelled like "y" :D

Czajkowski? Please. Try this.

I refuse to write my name incorrectly for the sake of some people that have problem with remembering the simplest name ever. I have problems with remembering names, but I don't remember them at all. And they just don't remember the correct version. Nope. 

No, I don't mean that. Hm... How come people can't remember how your name is spelled if you first introduce yourself? They shouldn't have problems with spelling if they hear the correct version first!

I meant more like "The third letter is pronounced like 'y'". I wouldn't dare to suggest writing your name incorrectly - I myself sometimes feel like second-grade citizen when computer systems have trouble with my name. First they tell me to name the file with my first and last name and then they have problems because my last name has Polish letters?

For additional hilarity, that mentioned computer system is in Poland. TECHNICAL University. Department? IT XD The shoemaker's children are truly ill-shod XD

People don't know how to say fjord ;)

I used to not know, but then I started learning German, which pronounces "J" like the "Y" in "yellow," so I don't have a hard time with pronouncing J's that way. Sometimes I do it too much, in fact. Once I actually called Scarlett Johansson "Scarlett Yohansson" because I hadn't heard anyone say her name out loud before (this was before the Avengers movie franchise was big), and my mom totally cracked up at that.

Random side note: this is my 400th post!

Edited by Sunbird

No, I don't mean that. Hm... How come people can't remember how your name is spelled if you first introduce yourself? They shouldn't have problems with spelling if they hear the correct version first!

I meant more like "The third letter is pronounced like 'y'". I wouldn't dare to suggest writing your name incorrectly - I myself sometimes feel like second-grade citizen when computer systems have trouble with my name. First they tell me to name the file with my first and last name and then they have problems because my last name has Polish letters?

For additional hilarity, that mentioned computer system is in Poland. TECHNICAL University. Department? IT XD The shoemaker's children are truly ill-shod XD

There are numerous occasions in which people first see my name in writing, before ever meeting me in person. You know, all sorts of apointments with all sort of people. 

I used to not know, but then I started learning German, which pronounces "J" like the "Y" in "yellow," so I don't have a hard time with pronouncing J's that way. Sometimes I do it too much, in fact. Once I actually called Scarlett Johansson "Scarlett Yohansson" because I hadn't heard anyone say her name out loud before (this was before the Avengers movie franchise was big), and my mom totally cracked up at that.

Random side note: this is my 400th post!

I've definitely called her Scarlett Yohansson too.

But I'm aware of the y/j thing because of my Jewish/Hebrew knowledge. Like with names,

Yonatan = Jonathan

Yehoshua = Joshua

Yirmiyah = Jeremiah

Yehuda = Judea/Judah

Yehudi = Jude = Jew.

Other Polish letters I have no idea, except I believe the place called Lodz is pronounced something like Wooj.

Edited by Delightful

Other Polish letters I have no idea, except I believe the place called Lodz is pronounced something like Wooj.

The city is called Łódź and the comparison to Wooj is pretty accurate :D however I don't think there is a word in English that has a proper "dź" sound in it. We have other fun letters like ą ę ć ń ż ś and some others that I have no idea how to demonstrate using English :P

Anyway, my pet peeve is people smoking at the bus stops :/

In the middle of them instead of stepping away from them like a decent human right? I smoke but that annoys the hell out of me as well.

And if it's rainy day, they even sometimes go under the roof where people hide from the rain and keep smoking  :angry:

And if it's rainy day, they even sometimes go under the roof where people hide from the rain and keep smoking  :angry:

Im not a violent person, but you should be legally allowed to smack the smoker for this.

If you need to smoke that badly do it in the rain, Im trying to breath here.

Ugh.  That's beyond a pet peeve for me, that's an affront to my basic survival.  I would actually have to go stand out in the rain and get drenched if I didn't want to have a (potentially deadly) asthma attack.

Regarding pronunciation pet peeves. I hate it when people mispronounce and incorrectly write down the slightly changed word for "air" (in my language) as a slightly changed "light" and in some exceptional cases "bag".

P.S. Bonus points if they mispronounce it like the biggest hill in Latvia.

P.S.S. It's not really mispronounciation they just remember it wrong most of the time.

Speaking of pronunciation pet peeves... It drives me nuts when people say "roof" with the same vowel as "book." (As opposed to the same vowel as in "boot.") Same thing with "root." And it seems like everybody in Utah puts a T at the end of "across."

Regarding pronunciation pet peeves. I hate it when people mispronounce and incorrectly write down the slightly changed word for "air" (in my language) as a slightly changed "light" and in some exceptional cases "bag".

P.S. Bonus points if they mispronounce it like the biggest hill in Latvia.

P.S.S. It's not really mispronounciation they just remember it wrong most of the time.

Isn't roof as book a South African accent??

Speaking of pronunciation pet peeves... It drives me nuts when people say "roof" with the same vowel as "book." (As opposed to the same vowel as in "boot.") Same thing with "root." And it seems like everybody in Utah puts a T at the end of "across."

Well. I'm Polish. I totally lack the ability to pronounce some of your vowels properly, memorise all you vowels in all your words. And I also totally can't understand why would anyone create a language where "oo" sometimes sounds completely different than the other "oo". English has so random pronunciation. 

So I'm just going to pronounce "oo" as Polish "u". Please forgive me. :(

Isn't roof as book a South African accent??

It's used in some parts of the States, too; I sometimes pronounce it that way, and sometimes the other way.  I am gloriously inconsistent.

Accents in the U.S. can vary wildly by region, or even rural vs. urban in the same state.  This country is really big and pretty heavily populated in places.  I have the advantage of having spent my childhood living in different places, so my natural accent is a blend that comes out pretty neutral.

Though there's really no excuse for me using "y'all" on occasion.  I blame Texas cousins.

Well. I'm Polish. I totally lack the ability to pronounce some of your vowels properly, memorise all you vowels in all your words. And I also totally can't understand why would anyone create a language where "oo" sometimes sounds completely different than the other "oo". English has so random pronunciation. 

So I'm just going to pronounce "oo" as Polish "u". Please forgive me. :(

English is bizarre, especially American English.  I think we've swiped a lot more words from other languages than our progenitors across the pond.

It's used in some parts of the States, too; I sometimes pronounce it that way, and sometimes the other way.  I am gloriously inconsistent.

Accents in the U.S. can vary wildly by region, or even rural vs. urban in the same state.  This country is really big and pretty heavily populated in places.  I have the advantage of having spent my childhood living in different places, so my natural accent is a blend that comes out pretty neutral.

Though there's really no excuse for me using "y'all" on occasion.  I blame Texas cousins.

English is bizarre, especially American English.  I think we've swiped a lot more words from other languages than our progenitors across the pond.

When people ask where I'm from, I'm never quite sure what to say. I was born in Washington State, but spent parts of my childhood in Wyoming, New Mexico, and North and South Carolina. I wound up adopting a twang from….somewhere. Wyoming, I think. It's stronger when I'm around people with a southern drawl, so I've had a few people comment on it here already, though I couldn't tell them where it was from. 

But yeah, American English is kind of broken. 

English is strange. On one hand it is kind of inherently cool. For example the swedish translations of Mistborn havent even bothered to translate the word Mistborn, because it would sound ridiculous in swedish. You cant just put two words together like that and end up with something that sounds cool like you can in english.

On the other hand english is so storming stupid. The spelling, the grammar, he... it just makes little sense most of the time.

But at least it is cool