Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Delightful said:

Uh oh. What happened?

I thought the Kaladin Album came out on Saturday. It didn't, and I was sad.

Other pet peeves- when cars line the streets of your neighborhood, leading to playing a terrifying game of icy chicken with the cars going the other way.

And, recorders. I hate them. My dad made my family play a song on them, and they don't play in tune with each other. Ugh. 

24 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Other pet peeves- when cars line the streets of your neighborhood, leading to playing a terrifying game of icy chicken with the cars going the other way.

And, recorders. I hate them. My dad made my family play a song on them, and they don't play in tune with each other. Ugh. 

The kaladin album?

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

This is heavily dependent on the quality of instrument you have. I have played in a Renaissance recorder choir (many many years ago), and we had top-notch instruments that sounded lovely together.

17 hours ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

Bing Crosby is the worst. If our ancestors had literally anyone else to listen to on the radio, he would not be a thing. But noooo, those dum dums had to let him monopolize the airwaves! 

You take that back, Bing is a national treasure!

My latest pet peeve is being unable to control the heat/cold in my office. The people that actually do control it are always waaaay out there on what they conside proper temperature relative to the outside weather.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

I never really liked that they used the word "choir" for it, but it was a recorder ensemble.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYCslQbKzcIFBRQsaf374

This gives you an idea of the crazy size and style range of Renaissance era recorders.

I... want one. :mellow:

I think somebody actually donated a Renaissance (or Baroque or something, it was a really old design) flute to the DI once. It was missing part of the mouthpiece, but man was it cool.

2 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

You take that back, Bing is a national treasure!

My latest pet peeve is being unable to control the heat/cold in my office. The people that actually do control it are always waaaay out there on what they conside proper temperature relative to the outside weather.

I'm sorry, but I kind of agree with Orlion here. I can't stand any of the classic "crooners". Their voices make me simultaneously want to fall asleep and murder something.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Tremendous said:

I... want one. :mellow:

I think somebody actually donated a Renaissance (or Baroque or something, it was a really old design) flute to the DI once. It was missing part of the mouthpiece, but man was it cool.

The wacky thing about recorders is that while the sizes mean some of them are pitched in different keys from concert, there was never any expectation to write music to accommodate those keys. So if you're playing on a recorder pitched in F (which most of the non-C ones are), you are expected to learn how to transpose it in your head.

I could never accomplish that task, so I was always relegated to soprano, tenor, and great bass recorders. I wasn't allowed on sopranino, alto, or bass.

1 minute ago, Kaymyth said:

The wacky thing about recorders is that while the sizes mean some of them are pitched in different keys from concert, there was never any expectation to write music to accommodate those keys. So if you're playing on a recorder pitched in F (which most of the non-C ones are), you are expected to learn how to transpose it in your head.

I could never accomplish that task, so I was always relegated to soprano, tenor, and great bass recorders. I wasn't allowed on sopranino, alto, or bass.

...yeah, there's no way I could do that either. :P 

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Tremendous said:

...yeah, there's no way I could do that either. :P 

I have an alto recorder. I manually transpose anything I play on it.

I also have a few Irish whistles. Now those things are nuts; they're pitched diatonically instead of chromatically, so which one you play depends entirely on what key the piece is in.

Recently this has become one of my biggest pet peeves: people who won't stop complaining about microtransactions in video games.

I understand why people dont like it, but it is not 'ruining gaming' or any other such chull dung. I have never played a game where the microtransactions were actually important to the gameplay in any meaningful way. 

If I hear one more person say Battlefront is 'pay to win' I might just flip out on them. Getting cards early does not make someone better at the game (since its a game mostly about skill and reflexes, not stats) and it certainly doesn't mean you can't get all the same stuff by playing offline for a few hours if you really hate being disadvantaged that much.

I just really don't get why this is so much more frustrating to people than subscription fees for mmos, premium statuses for free to play games, and ridiculous dlc prices, and all of those are much more impactful to the games content.

It's gotten to the point where I honestly think that most people complaining about loot boxes and other microtransactions are either just bad at video games and they don't realize they are, or they've just hopped on the bandwagon without actually playing the games.

Edit: Rant over, I needed to put that somewhere.

Edited by Ookla the Cow

11 minutes ago, Ookla the Cow said:

Recently this has become one of my biggest pet peeves: people who won't stop complaining about microtransactions in video games.

I understand why people dont like it, but it is not 'ruining gaming' or any other such chull dung. I have never played a game where the microtransactions were actually important to the gameplay in any meaningful way. 

If I hear one more person say Battlefront is 'pay to win' I might just flip out on them. Getting cards early does not make someone better at the game (since its a game mostly about skill and reflexes, not stats) and it certainly doesn't mean you can't get all the same stuff by playing offline for a few hours if you really hate being disadvantaged that much.

I just really don't get why this is so much more frustrating to people than subscription fees for mmos, premium statuses for free to play games, and ridiculous dlc prices, and all of those are much more impactful to the games content.

It's gotten to the point where I honestly think that most people complaining about loot boxes and other microtransactions are either just bad at video games and they don't realize they are, or they've just hopped on the bandwagon without actually playing the games.

Edit: Rant over, I needed to put that somewhere.

I hear you.  For myself, all I ask is they not pop up transaction stuff all over the game and that anything related to player stats and power and the like actually be available in game without paying - otherwise it actually does become pay to win.  You can't have the best gear and weapons gated behind a pay wall.

What's sad about this is people will just complain.  It's too hard - too many can't do it. It's too easy, there's no challenge.  There's too much choice (yes, it happens), too little choice, too many/few instances/bosses, etc etc etc.  People generally focus on what they don't like rather than on what they do, particularly since people are more likely to complain than to praise.

5 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

My only problem with the way it was set up in Battlefront 2 is that it's basically gambling without being called that and you're letting underage kids do it. Other than that, meh.

Underage kids shouldn't have access to credit cards. At least not without some questions from mom or dad first :P

My current pet peeve is my two pet cats... I love them, and they are absolutely adorable and cute, but when I am trying to sleep at night, they like to use the rug beside my bed as their own wrestling mat, and the rest of my room as a gymnasium for games of tag and catch-me-if-you-can. And they like to chase my feet. And right when I start to get really annoyed, one of them lays down beside me and starts purring sooooo hard, that I don't get angry. Exasperating creatures, are cats.

3 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

My current pet peeve is my two pet cats... I love them, and they are absolutely adorable and cute, but when I am trying to sleep at night, they like to use the rug beside my bed as their own wrestling mat, and the rest of my room as a gymnasium for games of tag and catch-me-if-you-can. And they like to chase my feet. And right when I start to get really annoyed, one of them lays down beside me and starts purring sooooo hard, that I don't get angry. Exasperating creatures, are cats.

My cats don't do this, but one of them does think she can come in my room, crawl all over me, and purr like a chainsaw at 3 AM. It's woken me up so many times, and yet she's so cute I can't stay mad.