Skar killed Gaz

Kier

Besides, if such an one was busted down to the bridge crews, a more poignant punishment would be to be placed in one of the crews he oversaw so that his punishment becomes the gift that keeps on giving with no direct culpability to the person who busted him down for anything that happens to Gaz.

Besides, if such an one was busted down to the bridge crews, a more poignant punishment would be to be placed in one of the crews he oversaw so that his punishment becomes the gift that keeps on giving with no direct culpability to the person who busted him down for anything that happens to Gaz.

I fully agree. If some lighteyes wanted to punish Gaz it would be to put him in a crew where his people would beat him down or make him run in the front first. Not where he would be an unknown. Furthermore, I know some have mentioned Gaz was being blackmailed and that is a reason he could end up in the bridge crews.

He was being blackmailed by Lamaril, who was exicuted. So yeah thats not going to work. A dead man can't send you to the bridgecrews. and we know he is around for a short time AFTER Lamaril dies. Furthermore, Sending someone who owes you money or is paying you money to the bridgecrews seems just about the worst idea ever. You aren't going to get any money from a dead man, and little from the bridgeman that happens to live. As we know they are paid pennies. 

With respect to Lamirils debt, I have no doubt that that would have been brought / inherited.  Gaz' punishemnt It would very much depend on the person placing Gaz in servitude.  It is as likely that whomever did it would want to use him for beatings and toilet cleaning duties.  Areas in which his skill set is high.

In my opinion, Gaz is defiantly NOT dead. His character was or should I say is too complex to be killed behind te curtain. If you remember, when Gaz thinks about having to be a bridge man the worst fate a man could face. That was early on when this was said, and immediately, I thought it would be interesting if he was forced to put his life in Kaladin's hands. I felt empathy towards Gaz for some reason, and there was defiantly something fishy going on about him having to pay those spheres. I don't think the light eyes would keep Gaz's death a secret and it would be known if he was killed. There are TONS of bridge crews so I think he is one of them, keeping his head down. The "darkness" he felt in his missing eye has more to it than just his brief thought about it, I think it might be in reference to the creatures Shalahn (can't spell) captures in her drawings. Bottom line is, Gaz and Kaladin have not concluded their grudge and they are bound to share some moments together in book two. Mr. Sanderson says the clues are there to know. Skar killing him just bc of what reason or reasons were they again? Anywho, they were my solid, Gaz's shady background and his low rank in the military are clues enough that he will be made a bridge man, and I am so excited to see him and Kaladin working together and Gaz becoming a better person.

Welcome LordRuler. And thank you for your post! 

You make some good points, It would be a short end for Gaz and he did have the potential for being a bigger character. I don't really have any argument against your points. 

I am excited to find out what really did happen to Gaz! 

Edit:spelling

Edited by Kier

i don't think we've seen the last of Gaz. Perhaps one of the bridge men did kill him, but their trepidation about doing anything without it being ordered by Kal make that seem unlikely. I do like the idea that he is in a bridge crew now. That would fit in with the constant threat of him being demoted. The Brightllady certainly took control of the bridge crews and probably saw him as an annoyance and subsequently demoted him and with there being a thousand bridge men it would be easy for those on bridge 4 to not notice him. 

Thanks for the welcome!

I also thought that it is pointed out a couple times on how closed mouthed bridge men are. Bridge 4 changes their ways but it shocked Kaladin how little each BM (bridgemen) knew of one another, not even names were exchanged before Kaladin forced them to.

This tells me Gaz could be within a bridge crew and will soon pay Kaladin a visit as he joins with bridge 4 and the other slaves. The hundreds of BM that Bright Lord Dalinar Kholin ( may the Storm Father bless him ) exchanged for his shard blade could have easily concealed ol' Gazy. Oh I'm a huge Dalinar supporter so hence the formalities a such lol.

I think Gaz started going crazy. In the one chapter from Gaz's Point of view he thinks he saw something move in the shadow of his ruined eye.

that is the only foreshadowing of something happening to Gaz I can think of. when they ask about Gaz they ask if he is well and are told no.

I think he started the process of becoming one of the 10 fools.

As for him hiding in a crew every person knew who Gaz was, there would have been talk.

I think Gaz started going crazy. In the one chapter from Gaz's Point of view he thinks he saw something move in the shadow of his ruined eye.

that is the only foreshadowing of something happening to Gaz I can think of. when they ask about Gaz they ask if he is well and are told no.

As for him hiding in a crew every person knew who Gaz was, there would have been talk.

Bridge men do not talk. They don't notice anything. Kaladin makes note of it multiple times. Not to mention there are a ton of bridge crews who are constantly being changed due to the high rate of deaths. Also to the bridge men, what is it to them if a old bridge sergeant is made a BM? It does not change a thing. But of coarse I could be wrong about what I think.

Something moving in the shadows huh......  What are the first clue about the bonding spren that Jasnah got anyway?  

How about this, let say that a person enter shadesmar and fail to emerge of the sea of beads, that person would  mysterious disappearance, just saying. ;)

If the end of tWoK where Jasnah saves Shallan from Shadesmar is anything to go by, your physical body is left behind when you go to Shadesmar. I think of it as rather similar to going to the Spirit World in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Your body is still here in the physical world, but your spirit or consciousness is wandering around Shadesmar or what have you. Which makes me think: if Gaz did go into Shadesmar and not come out, would his body die? Or would he be a vegetable? Either way, he's pretty much dead and gone.

I still think that Gaz is lurking around somewhere, but not necessarily in a bridge crew. He could have tried to escape the camp once he realized that his debts weren't forgiven, and gotten killed or something when people tried to find him. Or he could have been jacked into a bridge crew and made to run the deathpoint, then died.

I think the thing he saw was syl.

If I remmember correctly, just before, the gaz part, Kaladin went to talk to him, and Syl started to twirl around Gaz, maybe the fact that he has his vision impaired, enhanced another sense, that could make him almost see Syl, just like Rock does

So glad I found this post before making my own thread. 

I just listened to a part where Gaz is uncovering a tarp in a highstorm to get his spheres. Kaladin chalks it up as Gaz storing them for safe keeping, but I decided it was Gaz replenishing the Stormlight in his personal stash. It would also make sense that Gaz would not be afraid of being in a highstorm if he was able to utilize Stormlight to heal himself. 

I'm making up my mind that I think Gaz is going to be one of the 10 fools or whatever group shows themselves to be the evil Surgebinders.  Lamaril went missing and Gaz went missing. Gaz gets too much screen time to be dead in my opinion, so I think that he killed  Lamaril and fled the Shattered Plains. If he is also seeing shadows move, perhaps he is able to access Shadesmar and traveled that way.

WOR material:

If Gaz is dead, it would be because he was Surgebinding and got taken out by a certain killer with a weird patch of skin on his cheek.

I think those are enough hints that Brandon can cite later on and not feel bad for leaving people with such an abrupt end to the character.

So glad I found this post before making my own thread. 

I just listened to a part where Gaz is uncovering a tarp in a highstorm to get his spheres. Kaladin chalks it up as Gaz storing them for safe keeping, but I decided it was Gaz replenishing the Stormlight in his personal stash. It would also make sense that Gaz would not be afraid of being in a highstorm if he was able to utilize Stormlight to heal himself. 

I'm making up my mind that I think Gaz is going to be one of the 10 fools or whatever group shows themselves to be the evil Surgebinders.  Lamaril went missing and Gaz went missing. Gaz gets too much screen time to be dead in my opinion, so I think that he killed  Lamaril and fled the Shattered Plains. If he is also seeing shadows move, perhaps he is able to access Shadesmar and traveled that way.

WOR material:

If Gaz is dead, it would be because he was Surgebinding and got taken out by a certain killer with a weird patch of skin on his cheek.

I think those are enough hints that Brandon can cite later on and not feel bad for leaving people with such an abrupt end to the character.

Lamaril didn't go missing.  Sadeas executed him.  I do like Gaz as one of the anti-Heralds tho.  Haha that's so Padan Fain (I've only ever audiobooked wheel of time so I can't spell any of that crap).

Lamaril didn't go missing.  Sadeas executed him.  I do like Gaz as one of the anti-Heralds tho.  Haha that's so Padan Fain (I've only ever audiobooked wheel of time so I can't spell any of that crap).

Oh that's right. I just remember the new person coming in out of nowhere. Forgot the Sadeas thing. But that's why we reread! Well, if I were Gaz and I was discovering magic powers, I'd get out of there too. Especially if I was in a position like Kaladin notes, that has no opportunity for advancement or anything like that. Still possible, and I must say, I rather prefer the version where Gaz is just bitter and mean, but not so much a villain. 

Something moving in the shadows huh......  What are the first clue about the bonding spren that Jasnah got anyway?  

How about this, let say that a person enter shadesmar and fail to emerge of the sea of beads, that person would  mysterious disappearance, just saying. ;)

That is what I was thinking myself.

If the end of tWoK where Jasnah saves Shallan from Shadesmar is anything to go by, your physical body is left behind when you go to Shadesmar. I think of it as rather similar to going to the Spirit World in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Your body is still here in the physical world, but your spirit or consciousness is wandering around Shadesmar or what have you. Which makes me think: if Gaz did go into Shadesmar and not come out, would his body die? Or would he be a vegetable? Either way, he's pretty much dead and gone.

I still think that Gaz is lurking around somewhere, but not necessarily in a bridge crew. He could have tried to escape the camp once he realized that his debts weren't forgiven, and gotten killed or something when people tried to find him. Or he could have been jacked into a bridge crew and made to run the deathpoint, then died.

In Avatar it is possible to enter the spirit world completely just not easily.

I think that it is possible to enter Shadesmar fully even though we have not seen anyone do it.  I think this because of Jasnah repremanding Shallan, "Idiot girl!" Jasnah repeated. "You have no idea how dangerous that was. Visiting Shadesmar with only a single dim sphere? Idiot!"

I think that it is possible to enter Shadesmar fully even though we have not seen anyone do it.  I think this because of Jasnah repremanding Shallan, "Idiot girl!" Jasnah repeated. "You have no idea how dangerous that was. Visiting Shadesmar with only a single dim sphere? Idiot!"

This is probably how Transportation works.

This is probably how Transportation works.

Yeah, I would bet the Shadesmar work that Jasnah and Shallan have done is for Transformations, and Jasnah is going to find herself with the ability to enter fully at some point for Travel. 

• 2 weeks later...

There have also been some Word of Brandon's (correct me if I'm wrong) that say that you can access Shadesmar both physically and mentally. Apparently, Jasnah's favorite way of going to Shadesmar is physically. I'll be interested to see what those look like in the book.

There have also been some Word of Brandon's (correct me if I'm wrong) that say that you can access Shadesmar both physically and mentally. Apparently, Jasnah's favorite way of going to Shadesmar is physically. I'll be interested to see what those look like in the book.

I would expect her affinity to going in person has to do with the transportation side of being an elsecaller. Hoid uses shadesmar to world hop so I would guess transportation on roshar uses a similar method