Skar killed Gaz

Kier

Now this is totally just wild speculation, however I wanted to explore it. Its just for fun. 

We know that Brandon has mentioned that "Something happend to Gaz, that there is evidence to find out what it is" in TWOK. 

Josep wrote: "Just a nagging question: What happened to Gaz? After some character development he just vanishes in chapter 59 without further explanation. Will he be back on the next books?"

I'm planning for you to find out what happened to Gaz. There are sufficient clues that you can guess. But it is not explicitly stated, and I'm not going to say it's as obvious as Robert Jordan implied Asmodean's killer is. I was tempted to spell it out explicitly, but there wasn't a good place for it. I will probably answer it eventually, maybe in the next book, but until then you are free to theorize.

It is my current thinking that What happened to Gaz is that he was Murdered.

On my current re-read of TWOK I was struck by something. The first time Gaz is mentioned being missing is by Kaladin, on a bridge run. It is right after Maps dies. Kaladin is talking to Lopen about the Rope, making sure that Lopen threw the whole coil down and didn't tie the rope to the bridge, for fear that Gaz would find out or suspect what Kaladin was trying to do.

Kaladin then wonders "Where is Gaz? Why didn't he come on the bridge run?"

When he said that, I though back, when was the last time someone, anyone mentioned Gaz. and I realized the last time we heard about Gaz was when Skar was asking "what if someone goes to Gaz about what we are doing down here?" (I.E. stealing the spheres.) 

That part ends with Kaladin explaing that we don't want to be mistrusting eachother and its a risk we will have to take, and we can't be second guessing eachother. and with Skar being "Placated" 

So with the limited knowledge we have, I say Skar wasn't "placated" enough and Killed Gaz to prevent anyone from turning in the rest of Bridge 4

Edit: clarification of Brandon Quote.

Edited by Kier

It's a good theory. It makes sense that Skar would do this.

I will say that Brandon didn't actually say there was an Asmodean like murder. I'm not going to find the quote because I haven't finished that series and don't want to stumble on a spoiler, but it was more along the lines of there being a disappearance that he thought the fans would be talking about more, and that he wasn't going to imply that figuring it out would be as easy as Robert Jordan thought figuring out Asmodean's killers identity would be.

Ok, that was a really complex sentence...but hopefully I got the idea across.

You did successfully get the idea across, and now that I think about the interview, you are correct, it was more just implyed that people would talk about it alot more than people did, not that there was a "murder".

Anyway, my theory stands, haha. 

We know that Brandon has mentioned that there is an "Azmodean like murder" in TWOK. We also know he mentioned said Azmodean Murder in an interview with a question about Gaz.

I think your quote should be edited.  The actual quote is as follows:

http://www.goodreads...on-way-of-kings

Josep wrote: "Just a nagging question: What happened to Gaz? After some character development he just vanishes in chapter 59 without further explanation. Will he be back on the next books?"

I'm planning for you to find out what happened to Gaz. There are sufficient clues that you can guess. But it is not explicitly stated, and I'm not going to say it's as obvious as Robert Jordan implied Asmodean's killer is. I was tempted to spell it out explicitly, but there wasn't a good place for it. I will probably answer it eventually, maybe in the next book, but until then you are free to theorize.

As you can see, the quote does not really imply that Gaz was killed.

Edited by Shardlet

Bet you Kaladin will find a familiar face in one of his men.

Wait, scratch that. I forgot people do take bets seriously around here. ;)

You think he was turned into a bridgeman in another crew and is now with Dalinars Army? 

Gaz being in the bridge crews seems like a very good option indeed!

I don't think skar killed him, just because Syl watched over the bridgemen all night to see if someone would go meet Gaz, and no one did.

Sure the murder could be done during the day, but we can assume that Gaz was armed, it would be dificult for a bridgeman to kill an armed man unnoticed especially during the day...

I don't think skar killed him, just because Syl watched over the bridgemen all night to see if someone would go meet Gaz, and no one did.

Sure the murder could be done during the day, but we can assume that Gaz was armed, it would be dificult for a bridgeman to kill an armed man unnoticed especially during the day...

I do agree the bridge crew is a good option, but I still think Skar killed him.

Syl did say whe whould watch the men to see if any of them go to Gaz. However, I don't think Skar did it that night, or immidately. Secondly, Moash and Skar Kaladin says are some of this best fighters.

Gaz doesn't seem like he is that good at fighting, and he is missing an eye, and all he is armed with is a crugle... I really think Skar would have no problem with the one armed bridge sargent in a back ally, or another night. 

Furthermore, him being a darkeyes I don't think any of the lighteyes would really care, so I don't think they would "look into it" much. 

I really like this theory and am upvoting it.  It is so creative and clever that I can't help but smile. 

However, I think it is possible but unlikely.  The things that leave me skeptical:

1. Gaz is being blackmailed about something which could motivate someone into wanting to punish him, do him in or him bolting.
  2. Gaz had been paying off someone and was involved in the death of that person, leading to the same possibilities as above.
  3. I don't see that Skar would act that decisively without checking with Kaladin.  I could see Moash doing it before Skar, if anyone, as he seems to rely on his own judgments more.
  4. If a bridgeman wanted to turn in the group and be rewarded, they could report to any guard, not just Gaz, and they all know it.  While Gaz is referenced, Gaz's death doesn't really solve the problem, as I see it. 

I really like this theory and am upvoting it.  It is so creative and clever that I can't help but smile. 

However, I think it is possible but unlikely.  The things that leave me skeptical:

1. Gaz is being blackmailed about something which could motivate someone into wanting to punish him, do him in or him bolting.
  2. Gaz had been paying off someone and was involved in the death of that person, leading to the same possibilities as above.
  3. I don't see that Skar would act that decisively without checking with Kaladin.  I could see Moash doing it before Skar, if anyone, as he seems to rely on his own judgments more.
  4. If a bridgeman wanted to turn in the group and be rewarded, they could report to any guard, not just Gaz, and they all know it.  While Gaz is referenced, Gaz's death doesn't really solve the problem, as I see it. 

1. Gaz was being blackmailed by Lamirl. We have not reason to believe anyone else knew about whatever it was Lamirl was blackmailing him for. Lamirl got exicuted. 

2. ...

3. I can agree, I just said Skar becasue he is the one that mentions it in the chasm. Maybe it was Skar and Moash? Becuase I agree it seems more a Moashy type action.

4. I mostly disagree with this statement. I can see why that seems the case. Except most of the guards/soldiers hate bridge 4. why would anyone believe them? and the New Lighteyes lady and her husband (names escape me.) Really hate them and I can see the bridge man easily thinking, I could get Gaz to agree with me and maybe get a reward, but these soldiers or that lighteyes lady? they will just hang me out to dry and punish me for tying to make myself look important.

At least those are my thoughts.

4. I mostly disagree with this statement. I can see why that seems the case. Except most of the guards/soldiers hate bridge 4. why would anyone believe them? and the New Lighteyes lady and her husband (names escape me.) Really hate them and I can see the bridge man easily thinking, I could get Gaz to agree with me and maybe get a reward, but these soldiers or that lighteyes lady? they will just hang me out to dry and punish me for tying to make myself look important.

At least those are my thoughts.

You're right, the lighteyes really do hate Bridge Four. Don't you think they might reward a bridgeman who gives them a solid reason to have the whole crew executed and still uphold Sadeas "honor"? 

Brightlady: We left you out for the Stormfather to judge, and you have squandered that chance by stealing from your Highprince. The penalty for such a thing is death. Your men will join you...except Dunny, because he gave us the heads up. Good job, kid, off to Bridge Twenty two with you.

I think Peter's probably referring to the fact that many of the members of Bridge Four are based off of Brandon's friends, so the man Skar is based on is being deployed.

Ahh, thank you. haha

I think Peter's probably referring to the fact that many of the members of Bridge Four are based off of Brandon's friends, so the man Skar is based on is being deployed.

Well that made sense I was thinking that that coment was a reference of the use of the FN SCAR assault rifle in the Afeganistan(first thing that appear in the google). LOL

http://loadoutroom.com/5347/the-fn-scar/

Edited by Natans

I think Kaladin would have noticed Gaz in one of the bridge crews. Still it is possible.

I think Kaladin thought to himself that there are as many bridgeman as warriors in the army that he used to serve in.

Its possible Gaz wanted to lay low to avoid kaladins atention, although I don't know how he kept shut the bridgmen in his own crew, those would easily recognize him...

I think Kaladin thought to himself that there are as many bridgeman as warriors in the army that he used to serve in.

Its possible Gaz wanted to lay low to avoid kaladins atention, although I don't know how he kept shut the bridgmen in his own crew, those would easily recognize him...

Yeah there are "almost" 1000 men when Dalinar saves the Bridgemen and brings them over to the camp. I think Gaz would be able to hide within the bridgement and not be noticed by Kaladin or anyone in Bridge 4. esspecially since at the time he would have been sent to the bridge crews, bridge 4 really is either in a chasm doing chasm duty or doing bridge runs. Not really alot of time to be digging through near 1000 men for one person. 

Although, I still think Skar killed him. haha

Thinked about this mater I remembered That in another part of the books other brigde man said he would Kill Gaz, so I digged and found this:

Someone splashed to the ground beside him. Teft cursed, looking down at his soaked legs and trousers as he steooed out of the large puddle "Storms take that cremling Gaz", the aging brigdeman mutterred " Sendind us down here when it isn't out tunr. I'll have his beans for this" 

Teft is a  trainned soldier that supposed already betrayed his "people". so maybe not Skar but him did it, to prevent gaz of discovering Kaladin power, or as revenge.  =)

Who knows =)

I tend to agree with this. I believe that Sylphrena kept an eye on bridge four pretty well after the talk in the chasm. It's certainly possible that someone from bridge four killed Gaz when Sylphrena wasn't watching, but I find it unlikely since no one even knew that Sylphrena would be watching them.

I think Kaladin would have noticed Gaz in one of the bridge crews. Still it is possible.

It's certainly possible. There are over 1000 bridgemen left alive who choose to stay. There was something along the lines of forty bridge crews if I recall correctly. Each bridge crew could hold up to around forty men, but most were understaffed. There is no way that one man was the bridge sergeant for that many crews. This would put Gaz in charge of more men than a Captain. I would suspect that Gaz was one of eight bridge sergeants, so he wouldn't necessarily be instantly be recognizable to a new crew if made a bridgeman, bridgemen were a pretty self absorbed lot.

I'm not saying it's likely that Gaz is going to turn up in a bridge crew. I'd think that if Gaz was made a bridgeman and survived the battle for the tower, he'd cut and run once Dalinar made the offer. I don't think he'd have any interest in serving under the lordling, Kaladin.

I have a hard time believeing that Syl would watch all the bridgemen all the time. She can after all only be in one place at a time. She is not omnipresent nor omnipotent.  

Although I do think it likely that Gaz could have also been in a bridge crew until Dalinar gave them the ok to leave. I do not see Gaz sticking around for one second longer than he had to. 

The only other issue with Gaz in a bridge crew is that Bridge 4 runs quite a few runs there in the end, and they had started searching all the bridge crews that run for wounded men. I think one of Bridge 4 would recognize the one eyed sergeant lying on the stones exhausted as they search for wounded. Unless out of the 40 bridge crews Gazs crew never ended up running with Bridge 4. 

Edit:spelling

Edited by Kier