The Girl that stole Gods Light

Curious Anamaximder

Brandon just tweeted that he working on a story within a story called: The Girl Who Stole God's Light. I think God is Honor and the Light is Stormlight. The girl: Lift.

What do you guys think?

To add more information to the subject, the story is one similar to The Wandersail and Fleet. A story within the book. Given that, I doubt it's about Lift.

I wonder if Kaladin will be the victim again, personally I'd like if it was Jasnah, just because I really want to see Jasnah do the straight man act to Hoids silliness.

OK... I am officially looking forward to this conversation with Jasnah...... after all, they have, what, a week together walking back to civilization...

Darnit... I am already having trouble waiting for the next book...   ;)

I personally think Jasnah knows a bit more about Wit than the average Rosharan.

Wandersail was a sort of parallel to Szeth's life: Killing as long as he had something to blame it on, until he realized that he shouldn't be Truthless. 

I could see "The Girl who Stole God's light" to be a parallel of Lift in the same way. Personally that was my first thought too.

Since he said that's it's like Wandersail and Fleet, I'm sure Hoid will tell it. I suspect that Jasnah will indeed be the one to hear it, this time. I bet she's going to be all like, "Everything has gone mad while I was away! Give me solid information!" And he'll be like, "Nope. Gonna be cryptic and say stuff that would only mean something to you if you knew waaaaay more about the Cosmere than you do. Now here's a story."

I wonder if Kaladin will be the victim again, personally I'd like if it was Jasnah, just because I really want to see Jasnah do the straight man act to Hoids silliness.

I hope it won't be Kaladin again.

As for Jasnah, according to Brandon's grand master plan, she won't become a major player until book 6-7. Way of Kings Prime has spoilers for her story up until then, so I wouldn't expect to see much of Jasnah until then.

Shallan maybe? Or Renarin?

I personally think Jasnah knows a bit more about Wit than the average Rosharan.

Wandersail was a sort of parallel to Szeth's life: Killing as long as he had something to blame it on, until he realized that he shouldn't be Truthless. 

Wandersail IS a parallel to Szeth's life.  Not WAS.  It's still going on.  Szeth's gone through most of Wandersail, but has not yet burned down the island.  And with Nightblood in hand, I'm dreading when he does.

So, while Shallan may seem the most likely audience for Hoid's next story (unless he decides to keep up his tradition of only telling stories to Kaladin), Jasnah shouldn't be ruled out just because major parts of her arc have been moved to the back 5. I'm pretty sure she'll remain a major supporting character. She was around plenty in TWoK, and the WoR prologue being from her POV told us a lot about her character. Her absence in the rest of the book was basically a device to let Shallan's character grow independently. I really don't think that her book being years down the road means that she'll never have an important role to play until then.

I would assume Jasnah would be the recipient of the story, as a distraction from having a real conversation with Hoid, similarly to how he treated Kaladin, it could even fit in the sense that it would be a parallel Jasnah wouldn't immediately see how she is connected to it and therefore be an almost meaningless story for her.

So if it's a parallel of Shallan and Jasnah hears it she won't immediately know she's been told something important. Similarly to how Kaladin received the story the Wandersail the parallel of Szeth, a story he doesn't know yet was important.

The story of Fleet was fundamentally different in that Kaladin told the parallel himself at a time when he needed to hear it, it was supposed to be a lesson for him to learn from so he could help himself.

I am inclined to doubt it gets told to Lift. Partly because lift doesnt seem self reflective enough to actually get much from it, and partly because Lift is halfway across the world. If she stays primarily an interlude character then she will be busy keeping azir from falling apart. ( and giving us a window into how the rest of the world is faring)

::facepalm:: i never noticed the parallel with Wandersail and Szeth......

In WOR Hoid showed up in Shallan's flashback to tell her a story (of sorts). I for one, would like to see him pop up in Dalinar's back-story (wearing some disguise).

Maybe he hasn't been on Roshar long enough though. Or has he? He has to have been training Sigzil in Worldsinging for quite a while.

If he's telling a story in the present time frame, I think Adolin is going to need one. (Looks askance at Maxal) would that not fit with all the hopeful theories of reviving his blade and achieving radiant-hood?

If he's telling a story in the present time frame, I think Adolin is going to need one. (Looks askance at Maxal) would that not fit with all the hopeful theories of reviving his blade and achieving radiant-hood?

Of course it would  -_- but Hoid has shown close to no interest to Adolin, so I dare not hope he may be the chosen one. Shallan, Renarin or perhaps Dalinar as it is his book seem like more plausible choices. I am ruling out Kaladin because he has had his shares of Hoid stories. It would be redundant for him to have another one.

I dare not hope too much on the Blade revival story arc. It demands choices I am not sure will be made for the Stormlight Archive.

• Chaos locked this topic