Steelheart Movie Casting

Gamma Fiend

Didn't Brandon say something about how this one of his books he pictured mostly as a movie, or something like that?

Because I agree this might be his easiest work to transition to the big screen so far. Still would make a great movie if done right... and the most important questions... who to cast?

I'm not too good with these because I am very specified in my media and aren't too well versed in a wide range of celebrities or actors/actresses. But I want to hear who you all suggest!

The one person I'll submit isn't even appropriate... Tommy Flannagan for Cody. He's the Scotsman, Chibs, on Sons of Anarchy. Now I know in the books Cody has really just a southern accent and only talks about his Scottish heritage (and doesn't have gnarly face scars), but Flannagan plays a good scotsman in the show and I think the could pull it off.

Now here's where you tell me how horrible my casting is and suggest your own, superior choices...

My dream cast for a Steelheart movie (I am not a movie geek, so if you think of better actors that's fine by me.)

The Reckorers

David- Shia LaBeouf. The man is a far better actor than he gets credit for. He can play a good mix of goofy nerd and vengeance seeking action Hero.

shia-labeouf-mutt.jpg

Prof - Val Kilmer. Val can give the roll the mix of tenderness, sternness, and darkness the character needs.

val-kilmer-lookin-good-225x300.jpg

Megan - Jennifer Lawrence. She can be tough as nails and yet have a vulnerably that makes her enduring.

Jennifer-Lawrence.jpg

Abraham - Tom Hardy. Because Abraham was always carrying big heavy guns, he always seemed buff in my head. I loved Tom in "Inception." I think he could pull off the accent and if he was a bulky as Bane in "Dark Knight Rises" I think he would fit the part well.

tom_hardy_a_p.jpg

Cody - Ron Perlman, I just think it would be funny hearing Ron calling David "lad" with an American accent. Ron is also good at saying crazy things with a straight face just like Cody.

40438_pro.jpg

Tia - Gina Torres. Tia seemed to be the main researcher and counselor of the Reckorers, well as second in command. I loved Gina in "Firefly" as well as in other rolls. I think she would bring and interesting angle to Tia.

ustv-suits-gina-torres-4.jpg

The Epics (I'm just going to cast the inner circle, expect for Firefight, and the titular character.)

Conflux - Brian George. I think he could do well with Conflux's one scene,

MV5BNTAwNzI3MjU0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI2

Nightwielder -- Ken Watanabe. Another actor from "Inception." I think he has the dignity and presence the lord of night needs,

watanabe_l.jpg

FInally, Steelheart-- Chris Hemsworth. Some have suggested Henry Cavill, because Steelheart is kind of evil Superman. Well I think Steelheart is more god like than Superman. So why not have him be played by the actor who played the god of thunder?

Chris-Hemsworth_1403696c__120212092811-2

Those are my picks. Maybe there are better choices, but it would be neat if a few of these actors appeared in a real Steelheart movie.

Edited by eveorjoy

Hard for me to say something about actors, though I would say that Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa would make a pretty terrifying Nightwielder. He has a rich history of playing villains, after all.

And I would say that Rick D. Wasserman's voice would be ideal for Steelheart. For example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kp1_rZ9fbU - that is the tone and confidence that I would expect from Newcago's most prominent Epic.

• 3 months later...

I imagined David looking more like Percy Daggs III (Wallace from Veronica Mars).

936full-percy-daggs-iii.jpg

I like Jennifer Lawrence as Megan, she would be able to switch between charm and coldness in a believable way. 

I imagined the Prof with hunched-forward shoulders. Emaciated-looking, fragile and bird-like. I can't think of any mid 40s actors that have the look I'm thinking of, maybe Neil Patrick Harris when he's being Dr. Horrible.

Abraham I thought of Shepard Book from Firefly. Of course, Ron Glass is probably too old at this point to bulk up the way he would need to to fit this role.  

45968913_c337322331.jpg

I am, in fact, a movie buff (and aspiring film maker), but right now I'm drawing blanks for many of the characters.

For David...I have no idea  -_-  I am not very good as far as teenage/teenage looking actors go.

Megan: Dream cast would be Jennifer Lawrence of course, but A. she is to big of an actress to play a supporting role and B. She is too well known for the Hunger Games and it would bring unwanted comparisons between the two.  Still, not sure on her.

Cody and Tia also are blanks.

Is Abraham black?  If so, for Abraham, I think french actor Omar Sy would do a good job.  He already has the accent and he will soon prove him action movie chops in X-men: Days of Future Past as Bishop.  Idris Elba would also be cool.

For Prof, there are a bunch of good potential choices.  Bruce Greenwood, Josh Brolin, Bill Paxton, someone along those lines.

As for Steelheart, I loved the idea of Henry Cavil (Superman).  Joe Manganiello could work.  Dwayne Johnson would be an odd pick but maaaaaybe could work. 

Edited by arowrath

Good casting 

Lil' Wayne as Fortuity 

MI0003547009.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I pictured him as almost cartoonishly masculine, and I think Lil' Wayne could pull that off quite well. :P 

Andrew Garfield as Cody 

andrew-garfield.jpg

Not only is he a great actor, but he can do adorkable AND a convincing Tennessee accent! 

Terrible casting 

Psy (Gangnam Style) as Nightwielder 

-gangnam-style-web-sensation-psy-will-ap

Oppan Steelheart style! 

• 2 weeks later...

There's really only two castings in my mind that are set in Stone, if you'll forgive the pun.

I really haven't enjoyed him much as an actor, but when I read David, I really see Michael Cera, and if you're going to include Michael Cera, you have to have Emma Stone to offset his acting. I could see Jenifer Lawrence, but Emma Stone feels right, with or without Michael. 

Liam Neeson for Prof. 

Ben Kingsley for Conflux

Patrick Warburton for Curveball

As for the others, I'm not sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

David- Shia LaBeouf. The man is a far better actor than he gets credit for. He can play a good mix of goofy nerd and vengeance seeking action Hero.

No, absolutely not, not even in jest.  This guy is terrible.  There is not a single thing he has been in that he has not ruined IMO.  He ruined Raiders 4 for cripes sake!  How do you ruin Raiders?  You put Shia in it...

• 1 month later...

Well, I can't really picture someone like Liam Neeson leading a group of "rebels." I think of him too much as Aslan from Narnia, calm and kind. Whereas Samuel Jackson can be the calm(ish) and can also play the role of the amazing Epic he is. But Samuel would not be aloud to where an eyepatch. To much Nick Fury.

No, absolutely not, not even in jest.  This guy is terrible.  There is not a single thing he has been in that he has not ruined IMO.  He ruined Raiders 4 for cripes sake!  How do you ruin Raiders?  You put Shia in it...

I agree. He's on the verge of  total breakdown too. Shia=train wreck. Too bad. His real life antics affect my ability to fully enjoy the movie Holes now.

My dream cast for a Steelheart movie (I am not a movie geek, so if you think of better actors that's fine by me.)

The Reckorers

shia-labeouf-mutt.jpg

Prof - Val Kilmer. Val can give the roll the mix of tenderness, sternness, and darkness the character needs.

val-kilmer-lookin-good-225x300.jpg

Megan - Jennifer Lawrence. She can be tough as nails and yet have a vulnerably that makes her enduring.

Jennifer-Lawrence.jpg

Abraham - Tom Hardy. Because Abraham was always carrying big heavy guns, he always seemed buff in my head. I loved Tom in "Inception." I think he could pull off the accent and if he was a bulky as Bane in "Dark Knight Rises" I think he would fit the part well.

tom_hardy_a_p.jpg

Cody - Ron Perlman, I just think it would be funny hearing Ron calling David "lad" with an American accent. Ron is also good at saying crazy things with a straight face just like Cody.

40438_pro.jpg

Tia - Gina Torres. Tia seemed to be the main researcher and counselor of the Reckorers, well as second in command. I loved Gina in "Firefly" as well as in other rolls. I think she would bring and interesting angle to Tia.

ustv-suits-gina-torres-4.jpg

The Epics (I'm just going to cast the inner circle, expect for Firefight, and the titular character.)

Conflux - Brian George. I think he could do well with Conflux's one scene,

MV5BNTAwNzI3MjU0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI2

Nightwielder -- Ken Watanabe. Another actor from "Inception." I think he has the dignity and presence the lord of night needs,

watanabe_l.jpg

FInally, Steelheart-- Chris Hemsworth. Some have suggested Henry Cavill, because Steelheart is kind of evil Superman. Well I think Steelheart is more god like than Superman. So why not have him be played by the actor who played the god of thunder?

Chris-Hemsworth_1403696c__120212092811-2

Those are my picks. Maybe there are better choices, but it would be neat if a few of these actors appeared in a real Steelheart movie.

My opinions on this: 

--Yeah, sure.  He could pull it off.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt wouldn't be terrible either.  

--Val Kilmer?  Maybe, but I'd prefer David Tennant.  Dude's ridiculously expressive.  

--I hate Jennifer Lawrence.  I won't deny her acting skill, but she's been insanely overused and horribly miscast as Mystique, the Hunger Games girl, and pretty much every role I've ever seen her in.  Try Zoe Saldana instead.  She's good, excellent action actress, has the necessary skills.  

--Tom Hardy would be good, but I think that Christopher Eccleston could better pull off Abraham's speech patterns and accent.  He's pretty physically imposing, too.

Christopher_Eccleston_Thor_2_cropped.png

--Ron Perlman as Cody would be perfect.  

--HELL YES GIMME GINA TORRES AS TIA.  Excellent choice there.  

--Your choices for Conflux and Nightwielder are excellent. However, I don't think that Hemsworth has the sheer brawn to play Steelheart.  In fact, some amount of CIG will most likely be necessary...

I think Liam Neeson is a good choice for Prof. In the recent Dark Knight trilogy, he is Ra's Al Ghul and is pretty calm, yet intense in that. 

Andrew Garfield would be a great David, i think.

I'm really liking Emma Stone as Megan.