Can the returned return again?

Greyswandir

3 hours ago, Nyali said:

Except that's not how Returning works. People don't Return to do what Endowment wants, people Return to change the future in a way that they wish to change it, usually to fulfill a personal goal (like Calmseeker saving her relative from the same disease that killed her when she comes down with it later in life). Sure, some people Returned to prevent a giant war, but that wasn't at Endowment's request. They're just people who died, saw tragedy in the future, decided they wanted to do something about it, and Endowment offered to give them the power to change it.

Well, Endowment shows them a picture of the bad future, and then offers the chance to Return and change it.  There's a bit of manipulation going on here that seems to be flying under the radar. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Argel said:

What's Endowment's motivation though? The warning about a future war sparked said future war. Was that the intent?

I suspect that Lightsong and Blushweaver's returns and political moves caused Bluefingers to accelerate his plans just a tad too fast, so that he'd be in too deep when Susebron was healed (by Lightsong, who was only present because he'd been targeted by Bluefingers for his command of a Lifeless garrison).   Endowment, therefore, wanted to head off the impending Manywar, restore the God King to his full strength, and punish the schemer by bringing his works down around his ears.  

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't based on any actual fact, but I've always gotten the feeling that Endowment is a kind god, sorta like Sazed. She gives people the ability to go back and help others because she wants the world to be a better place and it might be somewhere in her Intent to want to continue endowing people with power. That being said, she doesn't want to mess with free will as previously stated so I doubt she ever has/ever will Return someone twice, even though in some cases it might be possible. 

18 minutes ago, Radiant Returned said:

This isn't based on any actual fact, but I've always gotten the feeling that Endowment is a kind god, sorta like Sazed.

HUGE Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

You are correct. Endowment is a Shard of Adonalsium and the Vessel of Endowment is a person named Edgli. Harmony is the combination of two Shards of Adonalsium (Preservation and Ruin) and the Vessel of Harmony is Sazed.

You can learn a bit about Endowment here: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Endowment

• Chaos locked this topic