The Reckoning

WayneSpren

Here is the prologue to my first Reckoners fanfic, about Claire and her cell of Reckoners faced against the tyrranical Prism!

The Reckoning

Prologue

Claire knew the truth about Prism. He wasn’t a hero. He was not the savior of the city.

He was a murderer.

And he needed to be brought down.

Claire watched her brother die.

Brian had worked for Prism. Been one of the most high-paid employees in the new government. And then, he had died. At Prism’s hand.

Claire had been in Prism’s government building that day, a skyscraper going up hundreds of stories. She had been only fourteen, had just wanted to see her brother before the end of the day.

He was not in his usual office when Claire came looking for him. She called Brian’s mobile with her own, but there was no response. Claire sighed and - after looking about for a bit - left the room. As she was shutting the door, however, she notice a slight illumination on the floor. It glowed red, blue, and yellow, though dimly.

It was the trail that Prism was said to leave whenever he moved.

Claire started to follow it around a corridor, first at a walk, then a sprint. It went up a stairwell until it finally entered a hover lift. “damnation it”. She muttered. How would she know which floor to go to? There were hundreds in this building.

She’d heard that Prism had made a deal with Steelheart of Newcage and gotten some of his super-powerful energy cells. That was what likely powered the lift. Hover technology was expensive and hard to power.

She then cursed at herself for her stupidity and looked at the buttons. One and seven and a slight glow to them. Claire tried entering 17. The lift shot up, Claire nearly fell over from the shock of it. Then it stopped. She threw open the door and peered into the closest room.

And found her brother, pressed against the wall by Prism, his eyes wide with fear.

“You’ve failed me for the last time,” Prism whispered. Suddenly, the colors drained from Brian. Claire watched in horror as he turned grey, then pure white, then became so bright she had to shade her eyes.

When she opened them again, Brian was gone.

Claire backed away in terror. Then she ran.

Prism was left alone in the room. He shuddered, then screamed. He thrust his hand to the side, transferring the colors -and effectively, the Epic temptations- to the wall. It bursted with color and  Prism calmed. He sighed, and slumped to his knees.

Claire fled from the building. She now knew Prism for what he was.

An Epic. Nothing more.

If anybody has any comments, please tell me below. :D

Edited by WayneSpren

And here's Chapter 1!

Chapter 1

Five Years Later

“We should hit Prism.” Claire announced.

Lawrence snorted. “You say that every time. I say we hit Soulbane. He walked into City Hall last week. When he walked out, everyone inside was dead. He killed forty people.”

Kal nodded in agreeance.

Claire folded her arms, dissatisfied.

“Why do you always present that idea?” Lawrence asked. He started rubbing his chin. “We’ve said no so many times…”

“He murdered my brother.” Claire said, glaring at the balding man. Lawrence was a lorist, and offered tactical advice to the group.

“One person is far less than forty.” Kal pointed out. He was support. The sparking man fancied himself a badchull. Most agreed with him.

Claire continued to glare at Lawrence.

“Claire…” Lawrence said softly. “You know we can’t let our pasts get in the way of our duty.”

Claire sighed, then gave in. “Alright. Soulbane it is, then.”

They were the Reckoners.

Killing Epics was their duty.

One Month Later

“Claire, he’s not there.” Lawrence said suddenly.

What? “You said it’d be on the balcony!” Claire said into her mobile as she stopped in the hall. “And I told you, use ‘it’. These creatures don’t deserve a semblance of humanity.”

“I just glanced away from the scope for a second. I don’t know how he -it- disappeared so fast.” Lawrence said hurriedly.

Claire was in one of the nicest places in town, where the team had finally spotted Soulbane. This seemed to be his base of operations. She glanced left and right, then slowly strode into the next room. “You’re right.” Claire cursed quietly. “Where could it be?”

“Maybe Soulbane has a secondary power?” Lawrence suggested. Some Epics hid their powers to give them an edge if they needed it.

“Maybe,” Claire responded. She looked around for a bit longer, then walked up to the balcony and looked down.

Soulbane looked up at her, perched underneath the balcony like a bat.

Edited by WayneSpren