ZeldaDad

Question about Cosmere movie/tv rights

4 posts in this topic

I know I heard Brandon talk about the Cosmere movie rights as an entire unit in one of his signings but I can't find it now. It was in the context of how Marvel/DC/etc are connected universes and how that's big in Hollywood right now and he mentioned that he sold the entire Cosmere tv/movie rights (minus one series I believe) to someone but he couldn't say who specifically. I just want to know if anyone has a source on that because I want to hear the wording again. It would have been on a Shadows of Self tour I believe. Definitely recent. And yes I've done my best to look for myself for mention of this on here and outside of the forums but I came up dry. Thanks guys.

I know there was also a mention of it during the SoS tour, but the one I remember is from the San Francisco Firefight signing.

He's (re)optioned 4 of his books/series to be made into movies: Steelheart, Legion, Mistborn, Emperors Soul. I didn't record his answer, but he said that Steelheart was optioned on Friday, that Emperor's Soul was optioned by DMG (Iron Man 3), and that there is a film treatment (between scene cards and a screenplay) for Mistborn. If I recall, he said the DMG guys went down the Cosmere rabbit hole and got excited. He made a joke about them playing with the idea of a "Sanderson Cinematic Universe"

source

Edit: here's one from the SoS signing in San Jose.

One interesting tidbit that's not in the transcript: Brandon has not only sold movie rights to Mistborn, but now also to Way of Kings and even *the entire Cosmere* (as one). That shocked even Jason Denzel who was standing next to me... Well done, Brandon.

source

Also, from the Seattle Firefight signing we have this.

I also left out a couple conversations where he specifically prefaced his answer with, “Don’t tweet this;” those mostly had to do with movies, games, and multi-media bundling plans.

source

You could probably message Wetlander, who made that post, and get the info that was left out.

Edited by ccstat

Ok that works for me. Thank you!