Question about Cosmere movie/tv rights

ZeldaDad

I know I heard Brandon talk about the Cosmere movie rights as an entire unit in one of his signings but I can't find it now. It was in the context of how Marvel/DC/etc are connected universes and how that's big in Hollywood right now and he mentioned that he sold the entire Cosmere tv/movie rights (minus one series I believe) to someone but he couldn't say who specifically. I just want to know if anyone has a source on that because I want to hear the wording again. It would have been on a Shadows of Self tour I believe. Definitely recent. And yes I've done my best to look for myself for mention of this on here and outside of the forums but I came up dry. Thanks guys.

I know there was also a mention of it during the SoS tour, but the one I remember is from the San Francisco Firefight signing.

He's (re)optioned 4 of his books/series to be made into movies: Steelheart, Legion, Mistborn, Emperors Soul. I didn't record his answer, but he said that Steelheart was optioned on Friday, that Emperor's Soul was optioned by DMG (Iron Man 3), and that there is a film treatment (between scene cards and a screenplay) for Mistborn. If I recall, he said the DMG guys went down the Cosmere rabbit hole and got excited. He made a joke about them playing with the idea of a "Sanderson Cinematic Universe"

source

Edit: here's one from the SoS signing in San Jose.

One interesting tidbit that's not in the transcript: Brandon has not only sold movie rights to Mistborn, but now also to Way of Kings and even *the entire Cosmere* (as one). That shocked even Jason Denzel who was standing next to me... Well done, Brandon.

source

Also, from the Seattle Firefight signing we have this.

I also left out a couple conversations where he specifically prefaced his answer with, “Don’t tweet this;” those mostly had to do with movies, games, and multi-media bundling plans.

source

You could probably message Wetlander, who made that post, and get the info that was left out.

Edited by ccstat

• Chaos locked this topic