Creation of Shardplates

Thunder_93

Hi everyone,

honestly I'm pretty sure this was asked before... but I didn't find it, so I just ask:

Any Ideas/sugestions where shardplates come from / how they were made?

Spoiler!!! (sorry guys, don't know how to actually use the spoiler-function...) :

Or do you think the shardplates of Knight Radiants was somehow they're Sprens, just like at Kaladin, Syl became his Shardblade / Shardweapon?

well my theory is that lesser spren bond to make the plate so the curent plates don't glow becuase the spren aren't alive anymore.

this is based off of when kaliden summoned windspren around him and shallan summon creation spren. each section could be a single spren

We know that they aren't fabrial devices, because a fabrial is a gem that contains a captured spren. And the gems in Shardplate are just regular stormlight-infused ones. (regular on Roshar, that is, on Earth those would be pretty remarkable ;))

Don't think that can I agree with the "dead lesser spren" theory. Since lesser spren don't form bonds (as far as I know), there wouldn't be a reason for them to die from a Radiant abandoning their ideals. Also, modern (non-glowy) shardplate doesn't have to synchronise with its wearer, as a dead-spren Shardblade has to.

And since you can regrow an entire suit of broken Shardplate by feeding stormlight to a single piece, I don't think it would make sense for each section to be a different spren.

But Shardplate does kind of bond to it's user. Not in the same way as a Blade, but if two people try to regrow a plate from different broken pieces, I think it will regrow for the person who is more bonded to it. We also have WoB that there is a lesser bond between the wearer and Plate.

Also, someone asked Brandon if the windspren swirling around Kaladin was the precursor to Plate and he said "I think you are a very smart man and are asking wise questions."

But Shardplate does kind of bond to it's user. Not in the same way as a Blade, but if two people try to regrow a plate from different broken pieces, I think it will regrow for the person who is more bonded to it. We also have WoB that there is a lesser bond between the wearer and Plate.

Also, someone asked Brandon if the windspren swirling around Kaladin was the precursor to Plate and he said "I think you are a very smart man and are asking wise questions."

I was under the impression that it was just whoever had the bigger piece and could put more stormlight into it.

Sorry, yes, I think that's right. But I also seem to recall that if both pieces are about the same size, the person with the bond would win. I'm not finding WoB on that, so it's possible I'm remembering wrong. But there is WoB that there is a lesser bond with Shardplate than with a Blade.

There was a thread I started a while back about the major/minor spren Shardplate theory. Click below to check it out. Of course I personally subscribe to this theory, but don't have a LOT of evidence to support it....

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/39972-possible-origin-of-shardplate-spoilers-wor/?hl=%20possible%20%20origin%20%20of%20%20shardplate

• 1 month later...

I don't know where it is or when he does it, but we have already seen Kaladin create Proto-Shardplate. When he has a lot of Stormlight, it says that frost crystallizes on his skin. This is completely unfounded except by my memory of the book, but I think Kaladin has already partially created Shardplate.

I don't know where it is or when he does it, but we have already seen Kaladin create Proto-Shardplate. When he has a lot of Stormlight, it says that frost crystallizes on his skin. This is completely unfounded except by my memory of the book, but I think Kaladin has already partially created Shardplate.

When Szeth was using large quantities of Stormlight, his clothes froze. So it's not that.

How do we know Heralds didn't have Shardplate?

We don't know for sure, but we do know that Szeth said that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding back when he was carrying the Honorblade.

Meanwhile, we know from Dalinar's visions that regular KRs don't seem to have the same problem (or at least not to the same extent), so it seems logical that the Heralds didn't have a full set of Shards.

Also, in the very first Prelude none of the Heralds are wearing Plate, and no Plate is left behind with the Honorblades.

We don't know for sure, but we do know that Szeth said that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding back when he was carrying the Honorblade.

Meanwhile, we know from Dalinar's visions that regular KRs don't seem to have the same problem (or at least not to the same extent), so it seems logical that the Heralds didn't have a full set of Shards.

You must remember thr shardplates the Radiants had, much like their Blades, were different than the ones Roshar has today.

We don't know for sure, but we do know that Szeth said that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding back when he was carrying the Honorblade.

Also, in the very first Prelude none of the Heralds are wearing Plate, and no Plate is left behind with the Honorblades.

I assumed the reason for Szeth saying that is that the plate would leach stormlight from him,  the same way as it did from Kaladin when he put a helmet on his fist in the arena.

You must remember thr shardplates the Radiants had, much like their Blades, were different than the ones Roshar has today.

Absolutely, which is why I said it wasn't a sure thing.

I assumed the reason for Szeth saying that is that the plate would leach stormlight from him,  the same way as it did from Kaladin when he put a helmet on his fist in the arena.

Thank you for expressing the point I was going to make before I did! I completely agree, and think that Shardplate is solid Investiture, like atium.

Random thought: what would burning a piece of Shardplate do?

Thank you for expressing the point I was going to make before I did! I completely agree, and think that Shardplate is solid Investiture, like atium.

As in... normal burning? Or is there something else you're talking about?

I keep telling you, man. You gotta read Mistborn. 

This is not much of a spoiler, but just in case you don't want to know anything before reading,

the magic systems in Mistborn are based around metal. Allomancy, the primary magic system (at least in the first book), is based on burning small amounts of metal as fuel. It's more accurate to say that the metals are like a key that unlocks Investiture, which is the actual fuel, very much like Stormlight on Roshar (actually, it's probably more accurate to compare their magic to aons on Sel, but I don't know if you've read Elantris yet), but calling the metal fuel is close enough. Generally, they swallow powdered metal suspended in a little bit of alcohol. Different metals give you different powers, and even though most magic users can only burn one metal, the select few in the first trilogy who can burn any metal might be able to do interesting things with weird metals that they don't have on Scadrial--especially a crazy, probably very Invested, metal like whatever Shardplate is.

So that's why one might wonder what burning Shardplate would do.

I could've sword atium is affected by steelpushes though. It isn't invested like shardblades would be.

Edited by natc

I keep telling you, man. You gotta read Mistborn. 

This is not much of a spoiler, but just in case you don't want to know anything before reading,

the magic systems in Mistborn are based around metal. Allomancy, the primary magic system (at least in the first book), is based on burning small amounts of metal as fuel. It's more accurate to say that the metals are like a key that unlocks Investiture, which is the actual fuel, very much like Stormlight on Roshar (actually, it's probably more accurate to compare their magic to aons on Sel, but I don't know if you've read Elantris yet), but calling the metal fuel is close enough. Generally, they swallow powdered metal suspended in a little bit of alcohol. Different metals give you different powers, and even though most magic users can only burn one metal, the select few in the first trilogy who can burn any metal might be able to do interesting things with weird metals that they don't have on Scadrial--especially a crazy, probably very Invested, metal like whatever Shardplate is.

So that's why one might wonder what burning Shardplate would do.

I know, I know. I don't have a copy, though, and I'm waiting for the Inter-library loan to come in. For some reason, my local library has the third book, and a couple post-trilogy, but not the first or second.

Yeah, I kinda knew about Allomancy, though this is definitely more illuminating than the vague idea I had earlier. 

Meanwhile, from that info, burning Plate? Good question. I'm obviously no expert, so I won't reply to this.

On the other hand, I will try to come up with another interesting thing: What would happen, theoretically, if you burned Nightblood? I mean, it is most likely impossible, considering that Nightblood basically devours Investiture, but what if it was possible?