Dungeons and Dragons

Sylfan

Sorry if there is post in this already, I searched for the topic but couldn't find one. So I am currently DMing a game right now (3.5 edition) and decided to throw in some Sanderson magic into my game. I was trying to come up with how to create some knight radiants but it is proving difficult. I have searched online for some things and didn't find anything note worthy. I was hoping I could get some insight. Thanks for your time and help :)

Sorry if there is post in this already, I searched for the topic but couldn't find one. So I am currently DMing a game right now (3.5 edition) and decided to throw in some Sanderson magic into my game. I was trying to come up with how to create some knight radiants but it is proving difficult. I have searched online for some things and didn't find anything note worthy. I was hoping I could get some insight. Thanks for your time and help :)

I made a homebrew Mistborn class for 5e. It was a lot easier to make than a Knight Radiant would have been.

I'd say that with the information we have here, it would be better to create individual characters with Windrunner/Lightweaver powers, rather than a concerted system, because we don't know enough about the Surges. But if you decide to try, it would be really interesting!

Also, Roshar would also be a great setting for a campaign, regardless of magic.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to make a prestige class that at first level gives you a familiar variety (the Spren). Then as you progress through the class you get Radiant passive abilities and surges. To deal with surgebinding I would make it similar to arcane casting with spells per day but rather than spells per day you just need to use Stormlight. As the prestige class progresses you make the amount of stormlight the Radiant can hold increase.

Edits:

Good: Forts and Reflex Saves
Full Attack progression

For the shard blade and shard plate,I would recommend looking at the Book "Weapons of Legacy"

Edited by Iron Eyes

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for the insight!

Sorry for all the questions but for the bond? I really want to incorporate that in game. But I know this will prove difficult and possibly annoying for the players. But I also don't know how to do that without it abrupting the progress/leveling of the character. Also trying to use it simular as losing abilities as a paladin when breaking those stages of the bond.

So for the lightweaver I was thinking of it being closer to a rouge. And giving the the ability to disguise self so many times per day. Any thoughts on the soulcasting?

Give this a look over, it isn't perfect (not even close) but it will give you a decent basis.

For Lightweaving I would also look at the different invisibility and concealment spells.

Edited by Iron Eyes

I really want to thank you guys on the help though it really gave me some great ideas. I am not sure about how I feel with the shardblades. I don't want to make them OP but I also don't want to detract from the amazingness of them. I have been working on a breath class (from warbreaker) as well. And the returned. They are coming along nicely but if anyone cares to shout out some ideas feel free :) thanks again.

Just a word of advice from one DM to another, It may be tempting to throw something really flashy and 'cool' in your mind, but I think you should remember to keep the characters and the campaign first. Sometimes in my own experience, I would have an idea and simply love it, I'd try it, and it didn't work out and it wasn't a success. I'm not saying it won't work, I'd love to hear more from you about how your campaign is going. I just want to advise you to be careful with your ideas and their affect on the game.

Thanks for the advice but I will have to say that the only way to make things work is to try it out and fix kinks as they come. Luckily I am doing this game with a bunch of friends so it is just a fun game. But I do like to work out the structures of things before I put them out there for use.

I was debating with myself how to include Shardblades and I wasn't sure how to do it without breaking the game. One of my ideas was to have it so each level of an enchantment on a magical item would block a hit. So a +1 enchantment would block it once and a +2 would block it twice etc etc. But its so hard to incorporate them into a game they are so freaking powerful. Especially if they get it at a low level. A friend and I did a small battle with a couple of low level warriors that had Shardplate and a dead Shardblade each. We ended up winning easily every time. it wasn't until I added mature red dragon to the mix that fights became hard, and even then we still beat it. We were level 7 i think, he was a fighter and I was a wizard. I didn't even use spells I just swung at them.