Chouta recipe idea.

tarts4days

Hello everyone, I'm brand new here and just finished reading words of radiance and loved it. I was hoping to perhaps get a little help in trying to identify some real world parallels to Mr Sanderson's made up veggies and meats. so feel free to chime in with your two cents at any time.

So first of "flangria" to me since its like the basic meat of world I was thinking chicken?

For lavis I get this feeling it could be like barley, since its used as food and to make beer.

Last but not least what country would you feel Herdazians are based on?

I know this is kinda of crazy but I love to make up recipes for book foods :)

Edited by tarts4days

Making up recipes from books sounds like a great idea. Really fun, and it has the potential for amazing friends/family :D.

Honestly, I've always imagined chouta to be like a donair, and Herdazian food in general to be kinda like Spanish or Turkish food, in a broad sense. I agree with you about Lavis. In my mind it looks like barley or even risotto. Not sure about the other, but given that there are chickens in the world, I'd lean more towards something else. Though, Rosharan chickens could resemble our sheep as far as meat goes. You never know.

I think Sanderson based the Herdazians on Latinos in general.

For the meat, I would say go for chicken :) but chicken actually exists in Stormlight Archive and is apparently a bit of a delicacy, since it has to be imported from Shinovar. I always assume that a 'cheaper' alternative might be pork or beef, although in our universe, chicken is cheap, and inexpensiveness if what you might want to go for with a dish made entirely out of soulcast food.

I agree lavis would be barley or in any case something corn-like (my cooking and agriculture knowledge is embarrassingly non-existent)

This WoB may help you:

Q: I primarily listen to the books, so my spelling and visual imaging might be a bit off. But, the food that Lopen likes, chouta, is that kind of like a Runza?

A: Kinda, kinda not. They eat flatbread in Roshar--the bread doesn't rise. So in that respect, it's more like a burrito. Only, they roll it more like a cone, and they fill it with chunks of meat covered in gravy. The flavor is going to be more runza like than burrito like, but it's kind of like a pita filled with meatballs.

Source

Tumblr user kalynaanne had managed to make a real chouta, and this post should interest you =)

Edited by Botanica

There should be two sauce options. A spicy one for men and a sweet one for women. (Just according to in-world customs, I'd probably wimp out and go for the sweet version)

And rather than Latin food, I imagine Chouta more Indian, like stuffed chapati.

Edit: has anyone considered crab or shrimp for flangria, since Roshar lifeforms are mainly crustaceans?

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

There should be two sauce options. A spicy one for men and a sweet one for women. (Just according to in-world customs, I'd probably wimp out and go for the sweet version)

And rather than Latin food, I imagine Chouta more Indian, like stuffed chapati.

I love that idea... Maybe like an apricot cranberry sauce for ladies.

I think chapati is about right for the bread. However, I think that the bread should actually be fried in an inch or two of oil, not just in a lightly greased pan. If flatbread is the Rosharan norm, the latter is something Kaladin probably would have seen many times, unless they usually bake in something like a tandoor. The way he objected to the practice, though, a greasy fry seems more likely.

For flangria, I think pork is the right meat. Kaladin is disparaging it as soulcast garbage. Now, crab or anything like that would be the real meat, in his mind. Chicken doesn't work because it's a known delicacy. I would say the loin would be the best choice because it's milder in flavor than the rest of the pig and would therefore better fit the book's description. Also, while it's prepared like a meatball, I don't think the pieces are actually rolled into balls (Kaladin does describe it as "chunks").

I agree that barley would probably be a good lavis stand-in. Does it say anywhere what grain is used in their bread? Maybe the bread would have to use barley, too.

For the gravy, I would definitely go the curry route. Lots of curry on Roshar, it seems. Nothing terribly authentically Indian, mind you--I'm talking about regular roux + stock gravy, with some curry powder thrown in.

I wish there was more stuff about what else they eat. Like, do they have stuff like onions? This recipe needs onions. Maybe it would all be chive-like stuff--onion grass you have to catch before it escapes into its hole.

I think chapati is about right for the bread. However, I think that the bread should actually be fried in an inch or two of oil, not just in a lightly greased pan. If flatbread is the Rosharan norm, the latter is something Kaladin probably would have seen many times, unless they usually bake in something like a tandoor. The way he objected to the practice, though, a greasy fry seems more likely.

For flangria, I think pork is the right meat. Kaladin is disparaging it as soulcast garbage. Now, crab or anything like that would be the real meat, in his mind. Chicken doesn't work because it's a known delicacy. I would say the loin would be the best choice because it's milder in flavor than the rest of the pig and would therefore better fit the book's description. Also, while it's prepared like a meatball, I don't think the pieces are actually rolled into balls (Kaladin does describe it as "chunks").

I agree that barley would probably be a good lavis stand-in. Does it say anywhere what grain is used in their bread? Maybe the bread would have to use barley, too.

For the gravy, I would definitely go the curry route. Lots of curry on Roshar, it seems. Nothing terribly authentically Indian, mind you--I'm talking about regular roux + stock gravy, with some curry powder thrown in.

I wish there was more stuff about what else they eat. Like, do they have stuff like onions? This recipe needs onions. Maybe it would all be chive-like stuff--onion grass you have to catch before it escapes into its hole.

They probably have onions n stuff, wasent sabriel starting farms? And I'm sure if rock can get his hands on non soul cast stuff for the nightly stews, chouta stands could. Also I like the gravy and actually fried bread idea. Edited by tarts4days

Onions wouldn't survive. They might have them in Shinovar, but Kaladin and Hoid actually have a brief conversation about farming on the Shattered Plains. It's when Kaladin is guarding Adolin on his date with Shallan, where they end up visiting a menagerie. Kaladin rides in the driver's seat with Hoid on the way to pick up Shallan, and he's surprised when he sees Sebarial's farms. He says that he wouldn't think anything would be able to grow because of the storms, and Hoid says that it's a different species of grain polyp--smaller and more rugged. 

So far, we really only know how grain works. Fruits and vegetables must be similar, but we don't know anything about them. Unfortunately, none of the POV characters seem to particularly care. At a feast, Dalinar observes that he's eating an orange vegetable. He doesn't even know what it's called. It sounds like it could be something like a carrot, but it's hard to say (also, carrots wouldn't survive, either).

I'm no farmer...but carrots and other underground stuff like beets and tatters should do better then other veggies. But now that I think of it, the cream is probably a huge problem for light hungry plants like that... Someone should bring this to Mister Sanderson's attention, I wouldn't mind a quick chapter about food lol.

They probably have onions n stuff, wasent sabriel starting farms? And I'm sure if rock can get his hands on non soul cast stuff for the nightly stews, chouta stands could. Also I like the gravy and actually fried bread idea.

This is getting tastier and tastier

Peter says, "they do have stagm..." Not very helpful. We have to petition Team Sanderson to care more about their Rosharan foodstuffs, apparently.

EDIT: About stagm, though--I want to say it's like yucca. Maybe potatoes make more sense, but I want it to be like yucca. So there.

Edited by DSC01

This is getting really awesome, guys. I hope we can get more info on it in the third book. Perhaps Brandon Sanderson can throw in a few more mentions of food for us to gobble up(Sorry, I couldn't resist). I'd love to see more authors develop their living, breathing worlds the way Sanderson does, by thinking about what would be important to characters outside of plot, like eating and latrines(i.e. Dalinar using his Shardplate to burrow a latrine in record time).

Are up votes like a thing I should do sparingly? Because I totally have been handing em out all willy nilly.

I feel that an upvote is something you should do when you feel it's right. I upvote when I read a post that makes me genuinely think, smile at a creative idea, or read some confirmed information I haven't read before. Speaking of, I thought I upvoted you for you original post about this Chouta/food talk. But I didn't. I will remedy that now.