Kelsier Theory [Edit: Joke Theory :P]

Kipper

EDIT: THIS IS A JOKE THEORY, JUST MADE FOR MY HUMOR! RECKONERS IS NOT COSMERE IN ANY WAY!

What if Kelsier is Calamity?

Facts

1. Sazed has an extra bit of Ruin.

2. Brandon has been very sly about where this extra bit of Ruin is, and what is doing.

3. The 17th Shard has largely assumed that this extra bit of Ruin has gone to Kelsier.

4. Brandon has also been evasive about Kelsier's whereabouts, repeatedly referring to him being in a dimension unlike what we've seen before.

5. In Shadows of Self, Sazed (also known as Harmony) makes a comment about Kelsier:

Since Kelsier... well, I haven't had much of that [sarcasm]

Assumptions

A. The Reckoners' version of Earth is in the same Universe as the Cosmere planet systems. Further, I would be interested to know if they are in the same dimension, but that would mostly irrelevant to the endpoint of my theory.

B. #5 implies that Kelsier is gone from Sazed, or at least removed enough that they are not in direct contact.

The Theory

Sazed gives Kelsier the extra bit of Ruin. We know that Shardic levels of power give some level of knowledge about the universe beyond simply the physical. So Kelsier somehow does interdimensional travel to Earth. Alternatively, he could have used normal travel, albeit at speeds much greater than light (and this really depends on whether or not the two series are in the same dimension of the universe or not, but as I said earlier, this does not matter hugely to my theory).

Keep in mind that even though Kelsier only has a small portion of Ruin's power, Ruin will still be corrupting (<-- interesting word choice, hmm?) him. So Kelsier will have to find some middle ground between being a hero and wanting to Ruin. When Kelsier reaches Earth, he visibly sets up shop as a red star thing (Note that red is a commonly accepted for evil, or ruin, among other things). Of course, as we already know, his influence is directly felt on earth.

Since Kelsier/Calamity has come from an utterly different culture, he doesn't fully understand the governmental systems of the different nations, and resolves to fix them as quickly as possible. What better way to do this than mutating certain people on Earth, and giving them powers that corrupt them, and enable them to take over. This is precisely within Ruin's Intent.

Of course, Kelsier is ultimately being tricked by Ruin. Kelsier believes that by empowering the people to take down the government, he is improving their chances of ultimately surviving, because that's what he did, in his previous life. Unfortunately, Ruin's insidious influence is blinding him to the fact that really, the Epics are only encouraging the breakdown of society, and the more they use their powers, the more corrupt and Ruinous they become.

That's pretty much the theory. I think it fits with what we know now about the Reckoners/Cosmere. I could speculate about what will happen in Calamity, but I'm sure Brandon will surprise us all anyway.

Possible Objections

Why didn't Kelsier/Calamity give everyone powers, and not just a few people? Not sure.

Isn't a bit far-fetched/too-early to speculate on this, since we don't know what the next books in the respective series will hold in terms of plot details? I don't think it's ever too early to make a theory.

Questions

I plan to make a list of questions to flesh out my theory a little more, and if I could get some help asking these (Brandon rarely comes to my area), that would bebutterly fantasmic. I'll try to be as specific as possible to avoid the possibility of RAFOs.

1. Is Kelsier Calamity? (Quite direct, and would probably get RAFOd, but 'ey, it's worth a try.)

2. Does Calamity have some Shardic Influence (Note that this has previously been answered as "No" when asked if Calamity is a Shard. Under my theory, Calamity is some of the power of a Shard, not a full Shard. Pretty sneaky, Sanderson!)

3. Is the Reckoner!Earth in the same narrative universe/dimension as he Cosmere?

4. Have we seen Calamity in another series?

Again, any and all help in asking these questions would be much appreciated. I think that for right now, we have a high chance of being RAFOd, because honestly, I don't think this connection has been noticed by a lot of people. So consistency and determination will be key. Thanks all for reading.

Edited by Kipper

Assumptions

A. The Reckoners' version of Earth is in the same Universe as the Cosmere planet systems. Further, I would be interested to know if they are in the same dimension, but that would mostly irrelevant to the endpoint of my theory.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be along soon but I do believe that we have had multiple WoB that Reckoners is not Cosmere.

Okay, I'm not sure exactly why you all think that Reckoners is not Cosmere, and I haven't seen a single WoB on the subject. But. This quote is from a signing line just recently, and I just saw it on Theoryland now.

Asker (a Sharder?): Have we seen a form of Calamity in any other series?

Brandon (gleefully): RAFOOOO!!

(
-emphasis mine)

There's quite a few other relevant Reckoners questions in that signing report too, besides that one that basically confirms my theory, at least in part. So please provide me with a WoB if you disagree.

I actually clicked that link thinking I was about to find a new WoB. Instead I found TEN new WoBs! Thank you Kipper, for your wisdom! (If anyone else had trouble finding them, just watch the video all the way through.)

No problem, man. I think I'm really coming into my own with theorymaking, and I appreciate all the support from everyone!

Dude, I love your theory. Yeah sure Reckoners might not be apart of the Cosmere, but I'm impressed you put so much time and effort into your post. Keep it up! :D

Also, it's way to early to say what Kelsier has been up to. I personally think we'll see more of him in Bands of Morning

Tbh, I think he's probably trying to figure out the best banana sandwich. The dude's done everything. He's sparked a movement to topple a government. He's gotten personally killed by a god. But when would he have had a chance to refine his culinary skills? Let me tell you, a banana sandwich is worth spending a couple centuries figuring out. Edited by Kipper

Kipper, you're never gonna give this up, are you?

But in all seriousness, let me put on my dad hat for a minute: I don't think creating a big joke like this (even if I think it's well executed) is appropriate in the Cosmere Theories thread because it's not obvious it's a joke until you Rick Roll us in the 10th post and in addition, less-informed readers may think you're on to something and believe you. 

Edited by Titan Arum

Kipper, you're never gonna give this up, are you?

But in all seriousness, let me put on my dad hat for a minute: I don't think creating a big joke like this (even if I think it's well executed) is appropriate in the Cosmere Theories thread because it's not obvious it's a joke until you Rick Roll us in the 10th post and in addition, less-informed readers may think you're on to something and believe you.

The most amusing part of all this is how so many people thought I was serious...

Anyway, I hear you, but unfortunately, I can't move the topic now. I can, however, edit the opener and say it's a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

So Im guessing the first responders didnt actual read anything dude wrote. Because he specifically, and in bold capital letters, tht he knows Cosmere and reckoners arent in the same universe. Reminds me of high school wHen teachers would put at the end of the instructions 'DO NOT WRITE ON THIS PAPER. FAILING GRADE IF DONE.' Half or more of the class would fail. Seems to be the same happening here.

That was my edit :P

Wasn't originally there. :P

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic