So why exactly is Nightblood so stupendously overpowered?

kroen

25 minutes ago, Blightsong said:

Bit of a dead post, but I would like to add that we have not seen all that Nightblood is capable of. Brandon has said that when he starts drawing huge amounts of investiture that he can do some "very freaky things".

To me, it seems like Nightblood was patterned after a Shardblade, but (aside from talking) behaves/operates more like an Honorblade. Very powerful, with a lot of potential abilities.

On that note, if you took a Hemalurgic spike to an Honorblade...

I think all the "dead" shardblades may start becoming a diminishing resource if shardbearers start fighting against Nightblood. If we get another fight of Kaladin and Szeth in a highstorm it could be even more insane than before. Problem is, I think Szeth was just pointed back to Shinovar by Nale, unless if he has more pressing jobs for him back in Urithiru or elsewhere.

I think people keep on forgetting a key component of Awakening.

Awakening = Breaths + Color + Command + Resemblance to Life. 

That is why it is kinda pointless to say that Nightblood "only" has 1,000 breaths, when we don't know the Color or Command was used to power it. 

Remember that one of the benefits of the 10th awakening is to fully draw out color from a source, making your Awakenings more efficient. We don't know by how much. We don't know if you can intentionally alter the amount of Color needed in an Awakening as well. 

We know that "Destroy Evil" was the Command, but the mental image/intent is much much more important than a verbal command. We don't know what the mental intent was. 

As for Resemblance to Life, we still don't know what Nightlbood is made of and if being a copy of a Spren/Shardblade would count as Resemblance to Life. 

Quote from Warbreaker: 

"BioChroma is the power of life, and so it seeks patterns of life. That, however, leads us to another law—the Law of Comparability. It states that the amount of Breath required to Awaken something isn’t necessarily indicative of its power once Awakened. A piece of cloth cut into a square and a piece of cloth cut into the shape of a person will take very different amounts of Breath to Awaken, but will be essentially the same once they have been Invested. “The explanation for this is simple. Some people think of Awakening as pouring water into a cup. You pour until the cup is filled, and then the object comes to life. This is a false analogy. Instead, think of Awakening as beating down a door. You pound and pound, and some doors are easier to open than others, but once they’re open, they do about the same thing.”

Another Quote on Commands: This is why someone with massive amounts of Breaths can't just pick up a sword and say Destroy Evil and create a second Nightblood: 

"He nodded. “The Command ‘Protect me,’ though only two words, is extremely complicated. So are others, like Fetch something. You have to give the right impulse to the object. This area is where you really begin to understand how little we know. There are probably thousands of Commands we don’t know. The more words you add, the more complicated the mental component becomes, which is why discovering a new Command can take years of study.”

Edited by shadowwisp

I wonder if people can grant Nightblood more breaths. That way, they wouldn't leak off because they were corrupted. It may be possible to upgrade your intelligent sword to not kill you when you use it! I always liked Nightblood. It is just the kind of intelligent sword that D&D players hate to have around. That is some seriously powerful ego!

22 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I wonder if people can grant Nightblood more breaths. That way, they wouldn't leak off because they were corrupted. It may be possible to upgrade your intelligent sword to not kill you when you use it! I always liked Nightblood. It is just the kind of intelligent sword that D&D players hate to have around. That is some seriously powerful ego!

I think it's possible to gift to Nightblood other Breath (with the standard command), but I actually don't know if this extra Breath would be parked as regular Breath or become part of Nightblood as a being. To be more precise, I don't know if extra Breath are capable of made Nightblood grows as Splinter

8 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Then I guess that's another question for the database... Ugghhh that thing is massive enough already!

Yeah, but I find unlikely that Vasher didn't fix Nightblood if the sword is so easly to repair.

Maybe an interesting question would be, "Did Nightblood improved its power from his creation ?" (I will post now in the List of Question)

• 3 weeks later...

I know a thousand Breaths seems small. I think so too. But that's no reason to ignore the numerous times that Brandon has emphasized just how Invested Nightblood is. There is a bunch of WoB to that effect, but all you really need is this one:

QUESTION

Is Nightblood a minor Shard?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the cosmere that is not a Shard.

Maybe someone should ask him how this can be the case, but for now, we kind of have to accept the WoB.

1 hour ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I know a thousand Breaths seems small. I think so too. But that's no reason to ignore the numerous times that Brandon has emphasized just how Invested Nightblood is. There is a bunch of WoB to that effect, but all you really need is this one:

Maybe someone should ask him how this can be the case, but for now, we kind of have to accept the WoB.

I always assumed it was because it's a physical object who is 1000 Breath worth...other high invested beings are not strictly physical and hardly called "things" (for example a Divine Breath has twice Nightblood's Investiture). My idea was about Investiture's Density instead that raw amount ....But maybe I was wrong all the time

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...

I think there's more Investiture in a human (and thus in a Breath) than I used to assume. On Scadrial, we see that metalminds (small ones anyway) are Pushable; but it's considered impossible to Push/Pull metals piercing a human body. So there's more, probably significantly more, Investiture in a human than a small metalmind; and from the "how hard is it to Push on various things" WoB* we know a metalmind ("middle of the realm") is more Invested than a Hemalurgic spike ("at the bottom") or a soulstamped object ("one of the lower, easier things").

* Question 3 on http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='drabs'
But still... the God King with 50,000 Breaths plus a Divine Breath would be way more Invested than Nightblood. So Nightblood must retain part of the investiture he eats (yeah, black smoke, but that's probably like excreting waste - some part still gets used/stored).

• Chaos locked this topic