steelrunning secondary powers: what kind of imbalanced broken power is that?

king of nowhere

On Inquisitors compounding my speculation on the subject is that since the Inquisitors gained feruchemy through hemalurgy and since that limits their storing abilities that they'd be able to burn a metalmind for a charge perfectly fine, what they would not then be able to do though is to re-store that charge and take it out as needed.

Yes, he was speculating, and my theory here is that he was just plain wrong.  You can speed yourself up all you want, but that's not going to make the action on the gun's trigger and firing mechanisms any faster.  And trying to fire too quickly is liable to jam your weapon, and becomes more and more likely as firearm technology develops and gets fiddlier.

Well, you're still running, and it's hard to step carefully when you're running full-tilt.  Maybe with speeding yourself up and walking?  I don't know.  It still seems fishy.

There is definitely a lot in there that has me going :huh: .  To the point that even after taking the new information into account in my rewrite, I'm still gonna be depowering a bit.  No, Eva, you can't turn on a dime when running at 45 mph.  Just no.  Even if Brandon says so, no.  (Follow canon until canon doesn't work anymore, and then break it as needed.)

As I said before, Steelrunning doesn't seem to have anything to do with actually running but plain bullet timing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Bleeder uses it when unlocking a door, that's high speed precision if I have ever seen any.

speaking of hero of ages, given that inquisitors had Feruchemical steel, i wonder how they could possibly fail to spike vin or elend as ruin wanted. they could not compound, but just storing for a day or two and tapping in a few seconds would be enough to move so fast that eeven atium won't help.

I agree. It seems a huge failing. Perhaps their spikes were really decayed, but even then they could just store up for a few more days. Getting a spike into Elend is really important...

With respect, I believe you're placing too much emphasis on that WoB. Compounding WoBs can be slightly contradictory to say the least. Compared to the Annotations, I would not place too much trust in them.

This one, specifically:

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

Compounding is where you are able to kind of draw in more power than you should with feruchemy. What’s going on there is you’re actually charging a piece of metal, and then you are burning that metal as a feruchemical charge. What is happening is that the feruchemical charge overwrites the allomantic charge, and so you actually fuel feruchemy with allomancy, is what you are doing. Then if you just get out another piece of metal and store it in, since you’re not drawing the power from yourself, you’re cheating the system, you’re short-circuiting the system a little bit. So you can actually use the power that usually fuels allomancy, to fuel feruchemy, which you can then store in a metalmind, and basically build up these huge reservoirs of it. So what’s going on there is… imagine there’s like, an imprint, a wavelength, so to speak. A beat for an allomantic thing, that when you burn a metal, it says “ok, this is what power we give.” When it’s got that charge, it changes that beat and says, “now we get this power.” And you access a set of feruchemical power. That’s why compounding is so powerful.

Which from the context, was him wanting to explain how Compounding worked.

I mean, I kind of get where you're coming from, but when it comes to WoBs, starting to discount them here and there to account for discrepancies doesn't work well for me.  I'd rather say, "OK, let's see how we can fit these pieces together," or even encourage someone to ask a follow-up question to see if we can add a new piece to the puzzle.

There's an awful lot of theorizing and pondering on the board that hinges on various WoBs, and I don't really think that it's fair to start saying, "Well, I don't buy that one."  The only two people who could tell us for sure that something is or isn't accurate are Brandon and Peter.  The rest is just us throwing words at each other.

As I said before, Steelrunning doesn't seem to have anything to do with actually running but plain bullet timing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Bleeder uses it when unlocking a door, that's high speed precision if I have ever seen any.

True.  You'd have to tap more speed to accommodate for the fact that you're not rushing, of course.

I'm going to hold fast to the laws of momentum when it comes to turning corners, though.  And I say that loose shoelaces are one of a Steelrunner's greatest fears.

I forgot about that, but here's another time when steelrunning affected something outside of the feruchemist. Turning a door handle at that speed would break it, or jam the mechanism.door handles are not made to take those kind of stresses. In general, trying to interact with any object outside of yourself can have drastic consequences for the object. It would on the feruchemist too, but feruchemy protects from those. On the plus side, you wouldn't need a gun, you could make people explode just by punching them.

Which from the context, was him wanting to explain how Compounding worked.

I mean, I kind of get where you're coming from, but when it comes to WoBs, starting to discount them here and there to account for discrepancies doesn't work well for me.  I'd rather say, "OK, let's see how we can fit these pieces together," or even encourage someone to ask a follow-up question to see if we can add a new piece to the puzzle.

There's an awful lot of theorizing and pondering on the board that hinges on various WoBs, and I don't really think that it's fair to start saying, "Well, I don't buy that one."  The only two people who could tell us for sure that something is or isn't accurate are Brandon and Peter.  The rest is just us throwing words at each other.

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the WoB mentioning if you burn a metalmind you can only get Feruchemical power out of it, which I think at this point should not be taken at face value (ie. that an Allomancer burning a metalmind like any other metal is all it takes to Compound and it is easy and requires no practice).

I get where you're coming from with saying it's unfair to just point to a WoB and say it's wrong, but I think it's important that we be able to question the validity of information we're getting when it can be wrong - particularly in cases like this, where we have good reason to suspect exactly that. WoBs have been wrong before (and we've clarified) them, and it'll happen in the future, and maybe it's wrong here.

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't ask follow-up questions, or anything like that. I'm just saying that we should place more trust in words that Brandon wrote while having time to compose his thoughts, look at his notes, and edit what he's writing, rather than something he said off-the-cuff at a signing (Brandon himself has said that WoBs should be taken with a grain of salt/can be inaccurate!).

I don't disagree with the WoB you posted, as it clearly explains the mechanics. However, it's providing the finished form of Compounding, what happens when you're actually doing it after having practiced it, as opposed to learning how to do it (in a practice sense).

Perhaps it's difficult to start a burn on a metalmind (Investiture resists Investiture), perhaps you need to tap the metal as it burns and this is difficult to do while burning it (like trying to grasp something small with two hands), perhaps the WoB we have on the Feruchemical effect is wrong and you need to spend some effort to get a Feruchemical effect rather than an Allomantic one. I hope we can ask more questions and find out about it.

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the WoB mentioning if you burn a metalmind you can only get Feruchemical power out of it, which I think at this point should not be taken at face value (ie. that an Allomancer burning a metalmind like any other metal is all it takes to Compound and it is easy and requires no practice).

I get where you're coming from with saying it's unfair to just point to a WoB and say it's wrong, but I think it's important that we be able to question the validity of information we're getting when it can be wrong - particularly in cases like this, where we have good reason to suspect exactly that. WoBs have been wrong before (and we've clarified) them, and it'll happen in the future, and maybe it's wrong here.

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't ask follow-up questions, or anything like that. I'm just saying that we should place more trust in words that Brandon wrote while having time to compose his thoughts, look at his notes, and edit what he's writing, rather than something he said off-the-cuff at a signing (Brandon himself has said that WoBs should be taken with a grain of salt/can be inaccurate!).

I don't disagree with the WoB you posted, as it clearly explains the mechanics. However, it's providing the finished form of Compounding, what happens when you're actually doing it after having practiced it, as opposed to learning how to do it (in a practice sense).

Perhaps it's difficult to start a burn on a metalmind (Investiture resists Investiture), perhaps you need to tap the metal as it burns and this is difficult to do while burning it (like trying to grasp something small with two hands), perhaps the WoB we have on the Feruchemical effect is wrong and you need to spend some effort to get a Feruchemical effect rather than an Allomantic one. I hope we can ask more questions and find out about it.

Arguably, the one quoted states the same thing.  "Overwriting" the Allomantic charge could be construed to mean that the Feruchemical is the only one left for the Compounder to access, though that would mean some odd Identity-related things are happening in the metal because another Allomancer would be able to burn it like normal.

But there!  That's what I was looking for!  Ideas about what could be involved with "practicing".  Thinky thoughts!

I think for now, though, I need to not think too hard on this stuff for a few days.  I inhaled enough cleaning products today to kill off brain cells, and I need what's left for NaNo.

It's worth noting that when Vin tried with Sazed's ring I'm pretty sure it doesn't mention that her allomantic reserves grew at all, not conclusive since she might not have mentioned it but I'm in agreement with Kaymyth here.
TLR was the one who needed to discover the art of compounding so I can see him needing to 'practice' it for a while before he figured it all out but anyone who knows the theory behind it really shouldn't have any difficulty.
Other than my mentioned theory that I think Inquisitors may have had trouble because they've received feruchemy hemalurgically I just don't see any problems with just being able to do it. Vin could clearly sense the other power-source, it seemed that the only bar to her accessing it was that it wasn't tied to her identity.

ITLR was the one who needed to discover the art of compounding so I can see him needing to 'practice' it for a while before he figured it all out but anyone who knows the theory behind it really shouldn't have any difficulty.

What do you mean by 'practice' to figure it out? What do you think TLR had to do? What would have taken him a "long time" if all it took was him having to figure out the method?

Like, okay, let's say for some reason Ascension didn't teach TLR how to Compound, despite it teaching him about Hemalurgy(?), despite it teaching him Allomancy's powers (including how to make mistfabrials), despite it giving him an instinctive knowledge of molecular biology.

What's TLR doing that "takes a long time" to practice? Is he trying... to burn metals and just think really hard that he wants Feruchemical power? Is he trying to tap metalminds and hope really hard that they spontaneously burn?

Hindsight bias and all, but if TLR was seriously trying to Compound - which implies he knew it was possible, I note - it seems like he could try every method possible within an hour before hitting on the idea of burning metalminds. (Which Vin actually speculated on within minutes of learning about Feruchemy.)

Marsh knew about the method of burning metalminds based on Sazed explaining his theory on TLR's immortality. If just knowing the knowledge is all it took, Marsh should have had Compounded attributes out the wazoo and Vin never should have had a hope of winning.

And there's no doubt Ruin knew. You can make a case that his Intent would prevent him from telling his Inquisitors as Kaymyth does, but I see that as a stretch. Ruin and Vin didn't seem to have problems with speaking things.

As well, Ruin gave Marsh an Feruchemical atium spike - the main purpose of which is to be used with Compounding. You can use it to extend your age without Compounding, but it requires being really old all the time, which Ruin wouldn't want for his main Inquisitor. The clear implication is that Ruin wanted his Inquisitors to Compound age like TLR.

I just can't get behind this interpretation that Compounding is that easy. It requires too much stretching, in my opinion.

Edited by Moogle

What do you mean by 'practice' to figure it out? What do you think TLR had to do? What would have taken him a "long time" if all it took was him having to figure out the method?

Like, okay, let's say for some reason Ascension didn't teach TLR how to Compound, despite it teaching him about Hemalurgy(?), despite it teaching him Allomancy's powers (including how to make mistfabrials), despite it giving him an instinctive knowledge of molecular biology.

What's TLR doing that "takes a long time" to practice? Is he trying... to burn metals and just think really hard that he wants Feruchemical power? Is he trying to tap metalminds and hope really hard that they spontaneously burn?

Hindsight bias and all, but if TLR was seriously trying to Compound - which implies he knew it was possible, I note - it seems like he could try every method possible within an hour before hitting on the idea of burning metalminds. (Which Vin actually speculated on within minutes of learning about Feruchemy.)

Marsh knew about the method of burning metalminds based on Sazed explaining his theory on TLR's immortality. If just knowing the knowledge is all it took, Marsh should have had Compounded attributes out the wazoo and Vin never should have had a hope of winning.

And there's no doubt Ruin knew. You can make a case that his Intent would prevent him from telling his Inquisitors as Kaymyth does, but I see that as a stretch. Ruin and Vin didn't seem to have problems with speaking things.

As well, Ruin gave Marsh an Feruchemical atium spike - the main purpose of which is to be used with Compounding. You can use it to extend your age without Compounding, but it requires being really old all the time, which Ruin wouldn't want for his main Inquisitor. The clear implication is that Ruin wanted his Inquisitors to Compound age like TLR.

I just can't get behind this interpretation that Compounding is that easy. It requires too much stretching, in my opinion.

What I'm curious about is what part of Compounding is there to practice? And I don't mean that in the "the process know to us seems to easy to require practice" sense but in the sense that I actually want to know. I mean Miles and presumably other Twinborns figured out the trick, so getting it done doesn't require advanced realmatic knowledge (unless every Twinborn Compounder ever was in league with Trell or something like that).

It probably isn't figuring out that there is a power to tap into, given that Vin could tell that it is there, even without being a Feruchemist.

Deciding you want the other power could be it. However that would require the WoB about a Twinborn always getting the feruchemical charge to be wrong tremendously. I mean being wrong in that they can actually choose is one thing, being wrong in that there is actually a semi-important reason that getting the feruchemical charge is actually harder seems a bit more questionable. (of course reading over that WoB again, Brandon may have understood the question as something along the lines of "does the Twinborn get both the allomantic and the feruchemical effect when burning a charged metalmind" with some stetching)

Another candidat is that you have to mix the powers right, just like an alloy has to be right, which would put someting resembling a measurment on the times ten guideline that seems to be floating around Compounding. However, that would still require a stretch that Ruin couldn't tell his mind controled minions when to start and stop storing in a metalmind.

Another possibility would be that practice is a bit of a questionable term and it is more of a process like savantism, where charged metalminds have to be burned, before the spirit web can properly adapt and channel the feruchemical power. This would require Miles to have just burned away valuable gold and health in hopes of getting a payoff down the line but it's not impossible, especially if he knew that it is possible.

I think you are misinterpreting that quote from sanderson. he states that the inquisitors were ineffective because it take practice to learn to use allomancy and feruchemy together, but that does not need refer to compounding. I think it refers simply to coordination and getting used to having more power. It's like if you could grow two additional arms: that would make you much better at boxing, but you'd take time to practice to use them at best, because you're not used to having tow extra arm, you're not used to controlling them, you dont even think much about them normally, and you don't know how to coordinate the movements of all four arms. or, if you play LoL, think about suddenly having four additional abilities for your favourite champion; at first you'll only use the first four skills, the ones you always had, because you're used that way. it will take a very long time before you can actually make good combos with all your 8 skills.

that is unrelated to other wob where he may have specifically said it takes time to figure out compounding.

I think you are misinterpreting that quote from sanderson. he states that the inquisitors were ineffective because it take practice to learn to use allomancy and feruchemy together

The Inquisitors always had Feruchemy; this isn't new, Kel fights one using Feruchemical pewter and Feruchemical gold in the first novel iirc. They would have had time to practice and learn to use the two together if what you're suggesting is the correct interpretation, I think.

Regarding the whole "how could the gun fire that fast" thing, you have to keep in mind that Bleeder doesn't need to wait for the gun to cycle itself. If steelrunning at a fast enough rate, it should be theoretically possible to shoot, manually cycle the action, shoot, cycle, and shoot again in an extremely small window. They could probably slamfire the rounds to avoid even the slight delay of pulling the trigger. 

If the well gave him all that knowledge then there's no need to believe he required any practicing at all, that kind of cuts down both arguments.

But my point was more that it took him a few years of messing around with both powers before thinking to try to combine them, Sazed had never heard it brought up before Vin asked, so neither Kelsier, any of the rest of the crew nor Sazed himself had thought about it before so it's not necessarily the most intuitive leap in the world.

As for the Inquisitors I already addressed that.

And for me believing that it's not that easy requires too much stretching. *shrugs* guess it's just a POV thing.

If the well gave him all that knowledge then there's no need to believe he required any practicing at all, that kind of cuts down both arguments.

There's a difference between knowing how to do something and practicing to actually do it. Vin knew the mechanics of how to use horseshoes to travel far distances, but had to practice for a while to get the technique down.

But my point was more that it took him a few years of messing around with both powers before thinking to try to combine them

The annotations specifically say "Fortunately, it took him a long time to figure out how to mix the powers correctly", which is to imply that he was trying to mix the powers before, but incorrectly. Because of this, I don't agree with your interpretation. He was a powergamer at heart with intimate knowledge of the Metallic Arts; I don't think he'd spend years before trying to do what you're suggesting.

As for the Inquisitors I already addressed that.

I don't agree with your theory that Inquisitors could not store the attributes from burned metalminds, I'm afraid. Feruchemy and Allomancy granted through spikes works exactly the same, as far as we know, and again I point out that Ruin gave an Feruchemical atium spike to Marsh. He would not do that if your theory was correct.

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one. But thank you for the conversation.

There's a difference between knowing how to do something and practicing to actually do it. Vin knew the mechanics of how to use horseshoes to travel far distances, but had to practice for a while to get the technique down.

The annotations specifically say "Fortunately, it took him a long time to figure out how to mix the powers correctly", which is to imply that he was trying to mix the powers before, but incorrectly. Because of this, I don't agree with your interpretation. He was a powergamer at heart with intimate knowledge of the Metallic Arts; I don't think he'd spend years before trying to do what you're suggesting.

I don't agree with your theory that Inquisitors could not store the attributes from burned metalminds, I'm afraid. Feruchemy and Allomancy granted through spikes works exactly the same, as far as we know, and again I point out that Ruin gave an Feruchemical atium spike to Marsh. He would not do that if your theory was correct.

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one. But thank you for the conversation.

By the end of his Ascension TLR was custom making bacteria, I think the differences are pretty superfluous at that level of intelligence.

Sazed was also intimately familiar with the metallic arts and hadn't even considered the possibility til Vin brought it up, no reason to assume TLR would necessarily be any different.

It's not that they can't store it because it's compounded, it's that they can't store it fast enough, Compounding releases huge amounts of power and from what we know of Hemalurgic decay affecting feruchemy it reduces the rate at which you can store a trait, which is obviously going to make compounding difficult. Ruin didn't necessarily give it to Marsh IIRC Brandon said he pulled it from a dead Inquisitor, but regardless Ruin likely assumed that he would eventually be able to work around the limitations or planned to simply power it himself once he'd taken care of Preservation, or he wasn't using it to make an immortal (Since that doesn't really benefit him at all, he can just replace Inquisitors when they die), just someone able to alter their age as a disguise or use some currently unknown use for Feruchemical atium.

By the end of his Ascension TLR was custom making bacteria, I think the differences are pretty superfluous at that level of intelligence.

TLR wasn't still making custom bacteria after he dropped back to being normal. Stormlight spoilers:

Taravangian doesn't remember everything from his moments of brilliance; I don't see any reason that TLR would retain an advanced knowledge of genetics - or, in this case, mechanical ability to Compound.

Sazed was also intimately familiar with the metallic arts and hadn't even considered the possibility til Vin brought it up, no reason to assume TLR would necessarily be any different.

Sazed was not an Allomancer, and like most Terris people in FE was very conservative and not prone to invention. TLR was much different in comparison - you can see his willingness to take new ideas in his cultural appropriations, if nothing else.

Sazed's active lack of curiosity regarding new metals still makes me frustrated. He "didn't get very far" with malatium, and apparently just gave up on over the next two years rather than politely asking Vin for enough of it to make a ring or something.

It's not that they can't store it because it's compounded, it's that they can't store it fast enough, Compounding releases huge amounts of power and from what we know of Hemalurgic decay affecting feruchemy it reduces the rate at which you can store a trait, which is obviously going to make compounding difficult.

This idea makes more sense than what I thought you were saying, but I still don't agree. Just because they can store a trait less efficiently does not mean they can't store it at all. I expect the losses from Hemalurgy (if this is indeed how it works) caused them to lose a percentage of power stored, rather than only allowing them to store a flat amount of a trait. They wouldn't make as good of Compounders, but they'd still love to be able to Compound. I mean, Marsh is Compounding age...

The Inquisitors always had Feruchemy; this isn't new, Kel fights one using Feruchemical pewter and Feruchemical gold in the first novel iirc. They would have had time to practice and learn to use the two together if what you're suggesting is the correct interpretation, I think.

the point is not having feruchemical powers or allomantic powers, the point is having new powers. those inquisitors had new spikes. they'd take time to learn to use those new powers to the greatest effect, regardless of whatever combination of allomancy and feruchemy they had before.

also, i don't remember the inquisitor that kell fought having Feruchemical pewter. he could heal, but i don''t remember his muscles swelling.

I think, no matter the power in question, being able to have more of it easily is well worth the effort figuring out. And yet they run out of speed, despite how by your interpretation of the subject of the WoB getting enough to probably last for weeks in a couple of hours would be the simplest thing in the world.

There is definitely something off about how they don't often compound.

This might be the key to understanding what's going on.

My current theory to resolve this apparent contradiction: TLR, always very sensitive to the potentials of compounding, used his knowledge of Hemalurgy to deliberately block Inquisitors from being able to compound. That way he could safely give them Allomantic and Feruchemical powers, and prevent them from accessing the most dangerous aspects of Hemalurgy.

Edit for followup question: Do we have any reason to believe that inquisitors ever compound? I can't think of any right now.

Edited by Authweight

Edit for followup question: Do we have any reason to believe that inquisitors ever compound? I can't think of any right now.

Marsh has been Compounding age for a while. And given how he heals from Elend's sword-through-throat thing at the end, he might have been Compounding gold. (I don't think so, though.)

As for your theory... I'm afraid I don't agree with it. Marsh being a prime counter-example, but the annotation I listed very blatantly says they haven't had time to practice, not that they were incapable of it.

I enjoyed Shadows of Self, but the Steelrunning power annoyed me more than any other of the powers of Brandon's eclectic magic systems.  As the first poster mentioned, there are many instances of Paalm using Steelrunning that make no sense, which is strange for a Brandon power.  He usually makes them as "real" as possible, even though they are clearly a work of fiction.  

I would like someone to ask Brandon at a signing how Steelrunners can run, stab, shoot, think, stop, turn, etc. while using their power.  Does tapping the metalmind increase their friction, thinking, reflexes and decrease their wind resistance?

I personally believe that Brandon made this one power too, uhh, powerful.  It got to a point in SoS that I was quite disappointed with the fight scenes when Paalm was tapping steel.  I wish Brandon had not made Steelrunners so friggin fast.  Like I said earlier, I think this is the most unbelievable power of any in the Cosmere.  I hope Brandon comes out with a viable explanation.