Interesting note on Axies

Jeckal

Good job, 17th Sharder! I would order books from his website, but... It's cheaper on Amazon and the experience of getting it directly signed from him is priceless.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you still get the hardbound book signed form the Brandon Sanderson store though?

edit: I completely misunderstood your point. Ignore this post.

Edited by Auri Garvel Xel'iathi

I hope this mean Axies shows up again in the story, I know Sanderson has said most the interlude characters where just there to show off the world's scope, but Axies with his 'curse' and now his apperent immortality strikes me as perhaps a bit more improtant than just a one off character.

He does make at least a brief appearance in WoR.

Nice! Upvote for sure!

Axies was one of my more favorite characters too. I just think he's so unique and could probably provide a lot of answers for us. I was surprised there wasn't much talk about him on here, considering. But there is only so much we learned from his interlude. Definitely hope we see him again.

I updated my first post with the picture of Sanderson's inscription.

I'm glad people are finding this bit of information interesting! I thought maybe people may have heard this before (I'm afraid I haven't had as much time as I wish I did to find out what sort of bits of info have come out from WoR readings and the like), I'm happy it appears to be something new.

He does make at least a brief appearance in WoR.

Oh hey thanks for letting me know! Is there a thread that talks about this in the WoR section that may have more info on the nature of the appearence?

There is a pinned thread at the top that starts with an awesome post created by Windrunner linking various readings.  The one you want is called "Rysn's Interlude", but why stop there? :D

Thank you kindly for pointing me in the right direction, great read and some interesting tidbits on Aimia.

So i wonder if the comment about Axies being immortal due to an interaction of magic applies specifically 'to' Axies, or if being basically immortal a trait all Aimian.

I think personally its probably just Axies, since there was a collapse of their island and they are incredibly rare now. Now I can't be sure obviously what Sanderson meant by 'an interaction with the magic.' Maybe its just a weird phrasing choice, maybe he means the Old Magic? Or maybe Voidbinding? People in Roshar do apparently view Aimians as evil and in the interlude reading Axies shows up in they refer to his shadow as a 'Voidbringer Shadow'.

I think it is a result of a spren-bond.  I think his voidshadow is an effect of that bond as well.

Spoilers for WoR:

It would fit with what is implied from the Jasnah prologue. At least one type of Spren seems capable of manipulation someone's shadow.

So i wonder if the comment about Axies being immortal due to an interaction of magic applies specifically 'to' Axies, or if being basically immortal a trait all Aimian.

I think personally its probably just Axies, since there was a collapse of their island and they are incredibly rare now. Now I can't be sure obviously what Sanderson meant by 'an interaction with the magic.' Maybe its just a weird phrasing choice, maybe he means the Old Magic?

The Old Magic? That seems very possible.  And that could be where his "Curse of Kind" came from!  He went to the Nightwatcher to get help cataloguing all of the spren.  She gave him something that made him nearly immortal (or whatever phrase meg prefers that means not likely to die of old age for a very long time) and the curse which makes him unlucky so that he doesn't enjoy it too much.  /wild baseless speculation

• Chaos locked this topic