Question about Jewels

azninvasion99

So I have started rereading Warbreaker, and as I go through the book,I have also been reading the annotations for each chapter. I noticed in the annotations for Chapter 22 that Clod is Arsteel (which I had noticed on my first read), and that Jewels loved Arsteel. My question is with Arsteel being killed by Vasher before the Manywar, 300 years before the events of Warbreaker, how could Jewels have been alive long enough to have loved and known him before his death? I know that Jewels is a drab, which leaves them with a weakened immune system. Is there a quality about drabs that keep them alive or am I missing something? 

Edited by azninvasion99

Ohh....well now I feel dumb lol. For some reason, I thought the Five Scholars thing was before the Manywar. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

Well, technically the Five Scholars thing was before the Manywar, but the Vasher-kills-Arsteel thing came much, much later. Remember that after the events of the Manywar, the Five Scholars (well, four, since Talaxin killed Shashara during the Manywar) parted ways and basically disappeared from the public eye. At some point near the start of Warbreaker, VaraTreledees decided to form his mercenary group and started calling himself Denth. Arsteel joined the group supposedly to try and redeem Denth. This is where Jewels and Arsteel met.

Talaxin (Vasher) mistook Arsteel's act of joining the mercenaries as a sign that he's gone evil and, when a confrontation between them occured, decided to kill him.

Edited by skaa

• Chaos locked this topic