Kaladin and Kalad the Usurper (Warbreaker)

Arachiel

Okay, so I was reading Warbreaker, and I come to chapter 32. Hoid shows up and starts telling stories about the history of Hallandren:

http://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-chapter-thirty-two/

He brings up a guy from a really long time ago named Kalad:

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Hoid said, switching to a black dust. “Strifelover. Another name for Kalad the Usurper.”

“That sounds like the name of a Returned.”

Hoid nodded. “Indeed,” he said. “Kalad was Returned

Is there a possible connection here? On the back of The Way of Kings paperback cover it says regarding the "four whom we watch" that "One of them will destroy us" implying that one of them could turn evil or something. We know that it's possible for people to planet hop (Hoid, of course, but also Galladon from Elantris is in the Way of Kings interlude about Ishikk), and it's possible that Warbreaker takes place in a much later time than the Way of Kings. Also, this Kalad is a "Returned" which bears some resemblance to the fact that

Kaladin is a Radiant.

What do you all think? Is this just coincidence?

I'm going to scurry back down the tree (as apposed to going out on a limb), and say its just a coincidence. I'm pretty sure Returned and Radiants are almost completely different things, the "one who will destroy us", is probably Szeth, I believe that Warbreaker is established to take place before WoK...on top of the fact that Kalad's identity is explicitly confirmed: 

He's Vasher! :lol:

“So,” she asked as they walked along the jungle road, “I can’t figure it out. Which one are you? Kalad, who started the war, or Peacegiver, who ended it?”

He didn’t answer immediately. “It’s odd,” he finally said, “what history does to a man. I guess people couldn’t understand why I suddenly changed. Why I stopped fighting, and why I brought the Phantoms back to seize control of my own kingdom. So they decided I must have been two people. A man can get confused about his identity when things like that happen.”

PS: You don't need to put spoiler tags in Cosmere Theories  ;) .

Edit: There have been stranger things proposed. I guess he might be a Returned Kaladin...

Edited by Serendipity

It's an interesting idea, but I personally think that it might just be coincidence.  Going by the chronology page on the wiki the events in Warbreaker take place before any of the ones in The Way of Kings, and unless Kaladin can somehow travel back in time and become returned even though he wasn't born on Nalthis, it just wouldn't be possible.

It is Klad in my version...

And there is another funny fact:

Vasher is Klad the Usurper:

"So," she asked as they walked along the jungle road, "I can't figure it out. Which one are you? Klad, who started the war, or Peacegiver, who ended it?"

He didn't answer immediately. "It's odd," he finally said, "what history does to a man. I guess people couldn't understand why I suddenly changed. Why I stopped fighting, and why I brought my armies back to seize control of my own kingdom. So they decided I was two people. A man can get confused about his identity when things like that happen."

Oh, right, boy do I feel stupid now. Maybe I should have reread the entire book before putting this out there. Sorry bout that  :(

Don't be afraid of posting whatever random thought you might get. Even the wildest idea could lead to some nice theorycrafting. And you shouldn't have to reread an entire book (unless you want to) just to research any passing though, we  - as a community - are always there to help! That is  what we are supposed to be here for, anyway.

You might be right about WB and tWoK, but I find it hard to believe that they happen roughly around the same time as AoL too, even if the Coppermind place it there. Dumaux is alive and well in tWoK, and while I do know that there are ways for Worldhoppers to extend their life, should we really assume that the members 17th Shard know how to do it? Is Dumaux over 300 years when he appears at the Purelake?

Unless you think that Vasher and Kaladin are the same person, it is a coincidence.  Word on the street is that Brandon changed Kaladin's name late in writing WoK because he liked Kaladin better because it sounds similar to Paladin.  See these threads for further discussion: 12, and 3.

Word on the street is that Brandon changed Kaladin's name late in writing WoK because he liked Kaladin better because it sounds similar to Paladin.  See these threads for further discussion: 12, and 3.

'Twas "Merin" it was supposed to be. Ugly thing.

'Twas "Merin" it was supposed to be. Ugly thing.

haha, yeah, I knew a girl named Mairin, pronounced the same way, too. Good thing he changed it. Yeah, I wasn't aware of the name change to Kaladin. It doesn't seem very possible that Kaladin and Vasher are the same person -_-

haha, yeah, I knew a girl named Mairin, pronounced the same way, too. Good thing he changed it. Yeah, I wasn't aware of the name change to Kaladin. It doesn't seem very possible that Kaladin and Vasher are the same person -_-

Oh, well. At least we explored it thoroughly =). Better luck next time!

Word on the street is that Brandon changed Kaladin's name late in writing WoK because he liked Kaladin better because it sounds similar to Paladin.

Totally misread that: I'm currently reading Alloy of Law, with all the allomantic colloquialism (take it with a pinch of copper, rust and ruin, that sort of thing) and I thought you said, "Word on the steel". Like Kwaan's, "only words written in metal can be trusted". I thought for a second that "words on steel" was gonna be our new version of Word of Brandon.

• 8 months later...

I also wondered about the names and their similarities.

However, as Vasher has been revealed as Kalad and Peacegiver, and Ive also read that Vasher is Zahel in WoR then I doubt Kalad/Vasher/Zahel can very well train himself (Kaladin) in swords (baring fun temporal paradoxes....which I wound put past our Mr Sanderson)

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Zahel

I just finished Warbreaker. If anyone has any other crossovers to point out, id love to hear about them (i know about Hoid and Nightblood)

• Chaos locked this topic