Halo 5

Haelbarde

My experience thus far has been this:

The campaign is definitely more interesting than Halo 4 (which I find long and boring). Don't know how I'd rank it compared to the other games. I've had a fair bit of interest and engagement in the expanded universe, and it referenced stuff from stuff I've read, which I thought was cool. It explains a few forerunner things, which is nice. As far as difficulty is concerned, I didn't find Heroic too bad, but I've not tried Legendary yet. I will say this though. Hunters have to be the most annoying enemy. Definitely feel more challenging than previous games. I also felt like the campaign could have stood to be longer (though I was only on Heroic, didn't worry about collecting stuff, and ran past larger battles when possible).

The Multiplayer I like. It feels Halo 3 with enhanced mobility (which was the most annoying thing returning to 3 after playing Reach and 4). So no more loadouts, equal starts, and power ups on the maps, which are all good things. Admittedly, I do miss BR starts, but I can play SWAT and I'm sure they'll as Slayer BRs eventually. Though it took me a few games to get used to it, I'm liking the new slayer game mode, Breakout. Will likely play swat more, but it's still pretty good. Warzone is pretty cool, I think, but I've yet to work out how to actually be any good at it.

The other new thing is the Req packs. Actually pretty happy with how they work. Even if you have no interest in playing Warzone, you can just sell all of the stuff you get in them for more Req points, which puts you closer to getting another pack, which means new armor or visors or skins, etc. I wouldn't have minded if there were a bunch of unlocks you could get from achievements, Halo 3 style, though I know there's a few you can get from MCC achievements.

I have a similar opinion as Haelbarde with Halo 5 although I have tried the areas he hasn't (as we live in the same house, I often watch him play so I first wanted to try the things I hadn't seen him try).

Campaign: 
due to exam preparations I haven't completed it yet. I am playing it on Legendary but in comparison to the legendary difficulties of the other games, the legendary difficulty in Halo 5 doesn't seem as hard as usual in my opinion. This could just be do to myself getting better at the game, however there are aspects of the game that make the game a bit simpler. In campaign, you play in teams of 4 (you and 3 npcs) and as a result there is a revival mechanism that means when you would normally die, you instead go into armour lockdown or something and if a team member doesn't get to you in time, you die. This means you are getting second chances all the time so instead of going straight back to the last checkpoint like you would in the other games, you have a chance to get up and continue where you left off. I've found this has made legendary a bit easier than previous games (more like the difficulty of the heroic in Halo2) However, as Haelbarde said, the hunters are pretty scary in Halo 5. They're insanely powerful, and they have a machine gun option. Scary. The revival mechanic doesn't help much with them either. Storyline seems good so far. I read the books so I'm especially loving getting to play with the characters I read about (Kelly, Linda and Fred). I'm only two levels through the game though so I can o my critic what I've seen so far, but at this point I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Multiplayer:
I like how the multiplayer tells you exactly what stage of finding a game your at and does it even when your customising your spartan so that's cool. It takes ten games to be ranked so initially you could be against any level of player, but after the ten games your matched well with your own skill level.
So far I've only played one game of swat but got paired against a bunch of expert players which freaked me out a bit so once the game finished with my team being slaughtered I changed over to Slayer. Slayer is very similar to how it worked in Halo 3. There are overshields/damage boosts/ active camo(which btw is amazing: you actually can't see them until they run- the camo is really good). There are usually one or maybe two per map, but they are not always the simplest to get to. The power weapon spawning a cool though with how it tells you how long until it re spawns. However this does result in all players swarming to one point cause the rocket launcher is about to spawn.
I'm really enjoying the ground pound and thrusters, and especially  how if you zoom while jumping, you fall really slowly.

The multiplayer is my favourite across the games.
Campaign I'm not far through. It reminds me a bit of Halo 2 with the two perspectives. I'm enjoying it so far, and atm I'm thinking the campaign is better than halo 4's. I might add more thoughts later when I have time to finish campaign.
Edited by Burnt Spaghetti

The Multiplayer I like. It feels Halo 3 with enhanced mobility (which was the most annoying thing returning to 3 after playing Reach and 4). So no more loadouts, equal starts, and power ups on the maps, which are all good things. Admittedly, I do miss BR starts, but I can play SWAT and I'm sure they'll as Slayer BRs eventually.

Funny, this was my exact thought. I hope they revamp the match finding quite a bit. In Halo 4 (and MCC for that matter) I think they did a much better job. I like the categorical lobbies rather than just general slayer. But as you said Team BRs is the game I want back the most.

Funny, this was my exact thought. I hope they revamp the match finding quite a bit. In Halo 4 (and MCC for that matter) I think they did a much better job. I like the categorical lobbies rather than just general slayer. But as you said Team BRs is the game I want back the most.

I suspect that thinks will come in the update planned before the end of the year - forge is still coming, and at the very least, Big Team Battle will be added in then. I suspect that at the start, they've just wanted to showcase some of the new things they've made, like Warzone and Breakout, making sure the essentials are still there too. 

The matchmaking is better than the MCC, IMO. I find it really hard to find a game of anything in the MCC. So in that sense, Halo 5 is better. I do wish you could party up automatically, rather than having to find a new group each game.

Picked it up yesterday, I haven't touched the campaign yet because I was waiting for a friend but I've played a bit of mp.

Brief conclusion: I like it. It feels good. To me it feels the most like Reach out of the past halo games and that's a good thing, I really liked Reach's gameplay.

So far I am quite enjoying warzone. I keep forgetting to use reqs and then doing pretty well anyway which is a good sign about the balance :)

(Would type more, but pax is today and I need to get ready and leave shortly so I'll post more later.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...