Best Twinborn Combinations (Excluding Compounding)

DeadFencer

Unless the heat magically doesn't transfer from you to the outside. As in, the process of tapping brass decreases the ability of your skin to transfer heat to things in contact with it.

That would work. Though then it's of very little use since you can't burn people with your magma-hands. :P

If storing Identity gives a way to use others' metalminds, I think an A-Chromium/F-Aluminum would be the ultimate Hazekiller. He can clean out out an Allomancer's metals with Chromium. As for Feruchemists, if he could get a hand on their metalminds, he could instantly tap them dry, draining their reserves. (Although that is not without its pitfalls. If an unbathed Tin ferring had a lot of smell stored up...)

I agree that A-Pewter/F-Brass make a good pair, and there could be some very... interesting applications by helping you survive all the heat you can put out. (Wish I could link to it on the creator's site, instead of a content aggregator, but I'm having a hard time finding the comic in question)

A-Iron F-Cadmium

Best rusting pirate/sailor you'll ever see. Open your mouth and begin storing. As soon as breath is stored it creates a vacume causing more air to flow in only to be stored again. In about 10 minutes you got enough for an hour of underwater living. Now you just stand on the deck of a ship and pull on any other ship or metalic object you see. Or you go swimming and do the same.

Also useful for exploring the deep sea floor. Just drop a block of metal about your weight into the water and pull on it to go and stay down.

A-Iron F-Cadmium

Best rusting pirate/sailor you'll ever see. Open your mouth and begin storing. As soon as breath is stored it creates a vacume causing more air to flow in only to be stored again. In about 10 minutes you got enough for an hour of underwater living.

I am not sure about that vacuum thing - your ability to breathe doesn't increase, you just store oxygenation of blood, so you need to hyperventilate, but it doesn't grant some super breath.

For sailors allomantic iron is useful for different things. Put metal bracers on ropes (for example sheets, lines, halyards etc) and you can heave them without having to physically touch them - you can manage to operate whole ship by yourself! And be quick about it, too. Storming useful, I know what I'm sayin'.

Feruchemical cadmium would be useful for dire situations as in man overboard, but if you have allomantic iron you can Pull yourself back on the ship. Another useful feruchemical metals would be bronze for those long watches, or brass (hypothermia is really deadly), gold is always useful, so bendalloy is.

But true sailors pick feruchemical chromium to always have the wind in the sails and to win in dices :)

I am not sure about that vacuum thing - your ability to breathe doesn't increase, you just store oxygenation of blood, so you need to hyperventilate, but it doesn't grant some super breath.

I'm not so sure. Normal air is a bit over 20% oxygen (20.84% specifically), but we breath out air with between 13 and 16% oxygen. If you stored the oxygenation of blood, I'd imagine a lower concentration of Oxygen would come out with each breath, but that doesn't seem to be the case since you need to hyperventilate to get enough oxyge, when there should be more than enough in normal breathing.

I'm not so sure. Normal air is a bit over 20% oxygen (20.84% specifically), but we breath out air with between 13 and 16% oxygen. If you stored the oxygenation of blood, I'd imagine a lower concentration of Oxygen would come out with each breath, but that doesn't seem to be the case since you need to hyperventilate to get enough oxyge, when there should be more than enough in normal breathing.

Watch out, in a few days I will post a theory on Feruchemy, I believe it will make clear what I mean:

storing doesn't miraculously make you able to get more oxygen from air - it takes part of what you already have assimiliated, so that's why you need to breath more frequently to balance this - hence the need to hyperventilate.

I find it interesting to note that Allomantic steel and Feruchemical bendalloy can make a Crasher-lite, though the benefit to your allomancy isn't nearly as strong and it sounds much more potentially uncomfortable to use it at extremes of storing and tapping.

It would be interesting if Feruchemical cadmium really did store up physical air instead of just "Breath." You could overtap and blow out a constant stream of air, while anchored to something yourself, to get some wind in the sails of the ship, too. Alas, I'm pretty sure that's not what it does. Feruchemical cadmium/Allomantic iron is fascinating, though.

Could Feruchemical cadmium help you adjust to different physical pressures better? Does it depend on how liberally you interpret "breath"?

Allomantic bendalloy/Feruchemical steel is just fun, of course. I wonder how the speeds and productivity they can achieve compares to Steel Compounders. For one thing, they can probably interact with physical objects on a smaller scale more easily than someone compounding steel to achieve the same level of speed.

Allomantic bendalloy bothers me from an economical standpoint. When you burn it to do more work in a shorter time- well, it doesn't make much sense for you to be paid by the hour, does it, and what employer would be willing to pay you based on "subjective" hours? I just get the impression that there's going to be an emotional/social pressure that makes it very difficult to capitalize on your ability to get more hours of work out of a day.

...is it strange that my first thought with Bendalloy's potential is to get excited about the idea of being able to work longer hours on a regular basis, aging myself in the process, and figuring out a way to get paid for the subjective hours? Even in a narrow, workplace context, the benefits of speeding up time can do better than that- providing perfect service in a restaurant by having a complex dish that takes time to cook prepared seconds after the customer finishes ordering, getting several hours of work done for school and still having time for rest and recreation and- hey. This is really unorthodox, but could you train your body to burn bendalloy instinctively while you sleep, the same way your body will do that with pewter? It sounds like an awful idea to try (is bendalloy toxic?) but if you can, then... but then, of course, we probably already have people with Slider friends making arrangements to use their time bubble to let them get a full-night's sleep in the middle of the work day at the same time the slider is using that time to do work of their own at an accelerated pace.

!!! Bingo, there's a business model. I guess the idea of charging others to join you in your time bubble is a little obvious, though.

There's so much potential with both of the new temporal metals, though. If Pulsers really can find a way to anchor their bubbles to the frames of ships and trains (so far WoB sounds like it's possible, but very finicky at best), they can dilate time to let those on long rides speed it up a little. Or they can help with food storage on long journeys, or even just working in place at a storage facility. And how many people would love to rent out a room with a Pulser and a Nicroburst and just skip forward a few weeks, months, or years?

Another idea for Sliders would be helping to get crops to grow a little faster, though that's probably hideously inefficient for its output, and I doubt the coverage of a Slider bubble combined with the dilation effect would let you get your money's worth out of having multiple Sliders double up on the effect or working in shifts to boost your crops' growth. And it would probably do screwy things to the plants' natural cycles in relation to the days and seasons anyway.

(On a tangent of a tangent, I'm all but convinced that the Atium-Cadmium alloy or the Atium-Bendalloy alloy will create a bubble of rewinding time.)

Back on topic, it's hard for me to choose between Feruchemical Copper and Feruchemical Zinc, boosted by Allomantic Bendalloy. I'd love to be an Analyst or a Flashwit.

It would be interesting if Feruchemical cadmium really did store up physical air instead of just "Breath." You could overtap and blow out a constant stream of air, while anchored to something yourself, to get some wind in the sails of the ship, too. Alas, I'm pretty sure that's not what it does. Feruchemical cadmium/Allomantic iron is fascinating, though.

Just want to mention that as a thought experiment the blow your own sails idea has been around a while.  It wouldn't work.  The force you exerted by having your "breath" hit the sail would be counteracted by the force of it leaving your mouth,  leaving equal forces in both directions and no changes in movement.

Just want to mention that as a thought experiment the blow your own sails idea has been around a while.  It wouldn't work.  The force you exerted by having your "breath" hit the sail would be counteracted by the force of it leaving your mouth,  leaving equal forces in both directions and no changes in movement.

it's quite the same fun examples of a Fan on a Sail boat as propulsion XD

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to weigh in on the feruchemical brass debate, and I'll be drawing my info from the Treatise Metallurgic and the Alloy of Law supplement for the Mistborn adventure game, as they provide really good, in depth looks at how the powers might be applied.

In the Treatise Metallurgic, it specifically states that the heat let off by brass cannot burn things, and storing it does not make you immune to fire. However, it does mean you suffer no damage from the heat itself, meaning that while your skin would be damaged my the flames internal damage or wooziness caused by heat can be ignored. Similarly with storing, you can not get frostbite or hypothermia while tapping.

The limit on not burning things is ignored by compounding, where if you compound Brass you can release waves of heat that are hot enough to melt soft metals, ignite wood and cloth and cause burns on others.

As for what Twinborn powers I'd like, I do want brass/brass, but since we are ruling out compounding I'll go with A-electrum/F-chromium. That way, while storing luck I can see slightly into my future if I will trip over something or suffer some type of mishap and either avoid it or prepare in some way.

I would go with pewter allomancy and nicrosil feruchemy. A regular Thug has an upper limit on the benefits granted by pewter, but if you burn and store the Investiture when you don't need it, you could draw on a huge reserve of it when you do, and there's practically no limit on how much you can draw. You'd be getting enhanced strength, speed, durability and healing well beyond the limits of what even a really strong allomancer would be able to accomplish. 

How would you harness the Nicrosil once you tap your metalmind as a Twinborn to make it into Pewter rather than just raw Investiture? Can you convert burned Pewter into raw investiture with Nicrosil? 

I'm still very confused by the properties of Nicrosil...

Bands of Mourning gives a better explanation of it but essentially Nicrosil stores the investiture that makes allomancy and feruchemy possible, tapping it makes your allomancy or feruchemy stronger while storing it makes it weaker. It's most likely the trick behind TLR's exceptionally strong allomancy outside of potential hemalurgic enhancement.

Overall, I think I'd have to choose Allomantic pewter/Feruchemical iron (I love me some Feruchemical iron). Especially since both metals are fairly inexpensive, and the possibilities are quite varied. If fighting, I could vary my weight to alloy for more nimble dodges and more forceful strikes, which would combine nicely with Allomantic pewter's innate fighting bonuses. If sneaking along, I could store as much weight as possible and use my allomancy to maneuver nimbly. If really in need of an exit, I could store a bunch of weight as I rush toward a wall (for greater acceleration) and draw a great deal at once right before impact to (hopefully) break through it. Also, if I make too ambitious of a jump, my Pewter will help me not die. Add to these specialized uses the general uses of Allomantic pewter (healing, endurance, balance) and Feruchemical iron (mostly situational; for example, epic tree-climbing skills) and I think that the combination makes a fair amount of sense. Maybe not the most powerful or most practical combination, but certainly one with its merits.

So, I've always really liked the idea of a seeker who hunts allomancers, and is well versed in the art of Hazekilling (using specialized weapons and tactics for fighting).

After reading BoM, I got the idea to take it a bit further, a twinborn who has A-bronze and F-aluminum.

BoM spoiler:

they could make metalminds that allowed them to gift their seeking power to others to help them in the hunt.

So, I've always really liked the idea of a seeker who hunts allomancers, and is well versed in the art of Hazekilling (using specialized weapons and tactics for fighting).

After reading BoM, I got the idea to take it a bit further, a twinborn who has A-bronze and F-aluminum.

BoM spoiler:

they could make metalminds that allowed them to gift their seeking power to others to help them in the hunt.

you need nicrosil for that as well.

Do you?

I know that the feruchemal medallions the southern scadrians use, require investiture stored in nicrosil because it allows the user to tap the different metals without storing the quality first.  i.e. They get extra bodyheat to stay alive, if they had to store body heat first it would be useless. (they are still able to store weight, and I assume that they would then be able to tap the same weight they just stored)   AND...I know that with the Bands of Mourning a Nicrosil mind was used to fuel all of the allomantic powers, but, wouldn't someone using the Bands of Mourning be able to swallow, say, a piece of bronze and burn it?  Or can they ONLY fuel the newly acquired allomantic abilities using investiture stored in a nicrosil mind? Also, please don't misunderstand my counterpoint as being argumentative, I'm just very curious about how this actually works.

Edited by hoidhunter