Best Twinborn Combinations (Excluding Compounding)

DeadFencer

So I spent a bit too much time thinking about this, heres some cool combinations (Order is A F)

Steel and Tin= Sniper. This combination makes so much sense Im sure we will actually see it in story.

Bendalloy+Steel= Super speedster, capable of doing things in a split second.

Iron+Gold= If you mess up lurching something you can heal from it
Bronze+Duralumin=Lets befriend as many Metalborn as possible!
Cadmium+Gold=Need to distract someone and not be killed? This is the combination for you.
Bendalloy+Duralumin= Super sneaking skills
Steel+Chromium=Always hit something, never push yourself somewhere stupid
Iron+Chromium=Never get hit by anything you are pulling
Tin+Zinc= Sherlock Holmes (Not that Im the first to have this idea...)

Pewter+Steel=Speeeeeeed
Pewter+Gold=Why wont you die?!

Chromium/Nicrosil+Steel=Get close enough to leech/burst easily

Feruchemical Nicrosil + Any Allomantic Metal.

Burn metal, and rather than using it, store the investiture produced for use later so that you can always have your metal on hand, without the downsides of them getting pulled or pushed (a metalmind can be pushed but its harder to do when it's filled). Keep a spike of Nicrosil implanted and you pretty much always have some extra investiture for your allomancy. My favorite one is Allomantic Pewter for a combination metal. Additionally, you can compound the charge of the stored investiture, unlike when burning metals, to give you greatly increased allomantic abilities. Even a Compounder for Nicrosil can make great use of it, boosting their allies and always having enough Investiture to use. Add in a hemalurgic spike and boom, near infinite allomantic power.

Allomantic Bendalloy + Any Feruchemical Metal

Set up a bubble and start storing. When it collapses stop. Store up feruchemical charges fast, very fast. Some are obviously better than others, such as Steel, Zinc, Gold, Cadmium, and Chromium. We actually see the benefits of A-Bendalloy and F-Gold with Wayne in Era 2 for a decent example for what you can do with it outside of just storing up.

Allomantic Pewter + Feruchemical Cadmium

Something I thought of a while back. While this may seem like an odd combination, my thoughts were more of the idea of oxygenating the blood. In a fight you burn pewter, while you'll not feel the exhaustion unless you are doing a pewter drag, by briefly tapping breath you can oxygenate your blood, mitigate some of that underlying fatigue, and improve physical performance a little bit further for a surprise burst against an opponent. This is actually my favorite use of Feruchemical Cadmium, even more so than just tapping to not need to breath, for, let's say, diving. Brief bursts of breath, just like how Ham describes brief and subtle bursts of pewter, can be more helpful than constantly using it.

Feruchemical Zinc + Allomantic Pewter

Enhanced Physical and Metal abilities together. Use the increased mental speed to predict enemy movements and counter them with greater speed and strength. Can even make it so you can beat more skilled Pewterarms by simply reacting faster than they can counter. Seems like a generally fun combo to me in particular.

But filling a bronze metalmind makes you sleepy. So you sacrifice some of your wakefullness and effectively get sleepy and yawning. So if you're sleeping, you also sacrifice some of wakefullness, effectively sleeping deeper.

Better way to explain this: lets assume two attributes on the opposite sides of an axis, Wakefullness and Sleepness. Storing bronze pushes you from the state you're in towards Sleepness, storing the difference between your natural state and your actual state in bronzemind.

Tapping it pushes you towards Wakefullness the same amount of units that you stored.

So if you're sleeping, you get the same rest that you'd normally get, but you're effectively sleeping deeper, which gives an immunity to distractions.

So I was partially wrong about cutting sleeping time, but it doesn't mean that I would sleep less restfully.

Hm, but if we assume another model of Feruchemy, then you're right and I am completely wrong about the rest gained. Is there some topic about Bronze Feruchemy? Is there some WoB on feruchemical bronze?

Edit: Voidus, I got a newcomer accept my cookie. Can I join Dark Alley?

I don't remember any WoB on the topic, my comment was just speculation on my part. Though of course I still believe that to be true :P

Of course you can, just make a post in the social guilds topic and I'll add you to our list of denziens.  :ph34r:

Well, let's just reflect for a moment that A-Steel + F-Brass makes you the Human Torch.

Brass is another Feruchemical power that is useful both ways--in my opinion, if it can be abused as heavily as reason tells me it can, it may be the second-most powerful Feruchemical ability (behind Steel, of course), and then only just. Feruchemy has a way of providing you "required secondary powers" when burst-tapping a metalmind--for example, tapping iron gives you enough additional strength to avoid flattening yourself, Steelrunners get a boost to cognitive speed (like F-zinc, I suppose) so that they can take coordinated action while in "super-speed" mode, etc. So it follows that tapping Brass can allow you to superheat your body (i.e, to red-hot levels, if you tap it fast enough) without negative side effects (such as...well, death). 

Because it also allows you to store ambient heat, you can in theory do something like light yourself on fire, then store that heat and use it to burn even hotter, so that you can just throw molten metal at things. Or melt through steel doors. Or just become a human lightsaber. Brass is so abusive (at least, it suggests that it is) because it is basically a self-Compounder. 

Combine this with Coinshot abilities, and not only can you fling superheated globs of molten metal at your opponents at enormous speeds, you can do so while flying through the sky with impunity. 

So, other than A-Bendalloy + F-Steel, this may be the single most overpowered combination in the Mistborn universe (besides the Compounders, of course. Steel in particular would just be so ludicrously overpowered that such a Compounder would just be able to take over the world, as he or she is essentially Quicksilver...Or Nicrosil...Or maybe even Zinc...Anyway, how in the Cosmere did Vin actually kill TLR? Alas, Brandon, you've broken your magic system! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Anyway. Yes, A-Steel, F-Brass. (Although I would prefer Zinc Compounder, if possible.)

(besides the Compounders, of course. Steel in particular would just be so ludicrously overpowered that such a Compounder would just be able to take over the world, as he or she is essentially Quicksilver...Or Nicrosil...Or maybe even Zinc...Anyway, how in the Cosmere did Vin actually kill TLR? Alas, Brandon, you've broken your magic system! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Short answer: stupid mistakes. If he hadn't ripped out her earring on a whim, if he'd taken Kelsier's nascent rebellion a bit more seriously, if he'd known that someone could burn the mists, then the rest of Mistborn would be a very different story.

If he wasn't so arrogant (or maybe longing for a fight) to not use chromium... But on the other hand he knew that the times of Lerasium Mistborns have passed thousands of years ago (and we don't even know if Lerasiumborns can affect metals inside somebody) and his Allomancy was stronger than Lerasiumborn, since he rebuilt himself with more Preservation power and he was a powerful Feruchemist, and on top of that he was a full Compounder. He had literally dozens of ways to kill Vin without giving her time to even react (the simplest of thme being chromium), but he simply sat on his throne while watching as Vin was struggling with Kar and he didn't move as Marsh was charging him.a

I guess the only way somebody may have stood a chance against him was Feruchemist who had decades of speed, mental speed and strenght stored. Then use all of that in a brief flash of power to run in and tear out atiumminds. Well, if said Feruchemist broke the sound barier and TLR wasn't focused or maybe blinked so he wouldn't see his opponent until too late.

Steelrunner + Lurcher (Iron)

I can pretty much imagine someone with these powers flying around around the spires of Kredik shaw using them to change their trajectory (as though using a slingshot manuever in space) I figure the speed would make them the ultimate lurcher

Short answer: stupid mistakes. If he hadn't ripped out her earring on a whim, if he'd taken Kelsier's nascent rebellion a bit more seriously, if he'd known that someone could burn the mists, then the rest of Mistborn would be a very different story.

Honestly, I just made up a headcanon that he subcounciously wanted to die, and that after seeing her burn the mists he was so shocked by Preservation betraying him he just let it happen, coming to regret it just before his last words.

Well, let's just reflect for a moment that A-Steel + F-Brass makes you the Human Torch.

Brass is another Feruchemical power that is useful both ways--in my opinion, if it can be abused as heavily as reason tells me it can, it may be the second-most powerful Feruchemical ability (behind Steel, of course), and then only just. Feruchemy has a way of providing you "required secondary powers" when burst-tapping a metalmind--for example, tapping iron gives you enough additional strength to avoid flattening yourself, Steelrunners get a boost to cognitive speed (like F-zinc, I suppose) so that they can take coordinated action while in "super-speed" mode, etc. So it follows that tapping Brass can allow you to superheat your body (i.e, to red-hot levels, if you tap it fast enough) without negative side effects (such as...well, death). 

Because it also allows you to store ambient heat, you can in theory do something like light yourself on fire, then store that heat and use it to burn even hotter, so that you can just throw molten metal at things. Or melt through steel doors. Or just become a human lightsaber. Brass is so abusive (at least, it suggests that it is) because it is basically a self-Compounder. 

Combine this with Coinshot abilities, and not only can you fling superheated globs of molten metal at your opponents at enormous speeds, you can do so while flying through the sky with impunity. 

So, other than A-Bendalloy + F-Steel, this may be the single most overpowered combination in the Mistborn universe (besides the Compounders, of course. Steel in particular would just be so ludicrously overpowered that such a Compounder would just be able to take over the world, as he or she is essentially Quicksilver...Or Nicrosil...Or maybe even Zinc...Anyway, how in the Cosmere did Vin actually kill TLR? Alas, Brandon, you've broken your magic system! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Anyway. Yes, A-Steel, F-Brass. (Although I would prefer Zinc Compounder, if possible.)

I doubt this would work since Feruchemy is internal, you'd need to be on fire long enough for your body to absorb the heat (Which means burning half your flesh off) and if you accidentally absorbed too much you'd kill yourself pretty quickly.

I doubt this would work since Feruchemy is internal, you'd need to be on fire long enough for your body to absorb the heat (Which means burning half your flesh off) and if you accidentally absorbed too much you'd kill yourself pretty quickly.

Well if the main idea falls this Twinborn may be a decent (but with short live) Ghost Rider (but in this case a "Ghost Runner") XD

Edited by Yata

Many things done with feruchemical steel in SoS contradict this, like lockpicking in super speed without breaking the lock or turning while in superspeed without crashing into walls.

Actually, you can have it right now, since I've hit a bit of a block.

I'm basing it on how both powers can support one another, but that is pretty impossible for some combinations (A-gold/F-iron)

The ones in italic are based on what I believe about certain powers, but can't substantiate, for instance I believe that Allomantic Aluminum might be able to drain a metalmind, so I gave those names based on getting rid of the stored attibute.

It's a screenshot cause I can't figure out how to post a decent table.

Twinborn_zps0ijil0mf.png

Holy mother of Lift, you really did have a list! And thank you for it, because I have a hard time remembering this stuff.

Depending on how Brandon interprets how Feruchemical Brass works, that may or may not be a valid point. 

If F-Brass allows you to absorb ambient heat (which I consider most likely), then from a thermodynamics perspective there is no difference between being on fire and standing in a warm room other than the rate of heat transfer, and because there is no "tax" on rapidly filling a metalmind (no external cost), this should in theory allow one to do as I said.

Of course, even if Brandon decides to go this route (if we ever see a Firesoul Ferring, anyway), he might decide that the above is too overpowered and limit it somehow ( I consider this most likely). 

Beyond this is the possibility that F-Brass only allows you to absorb internally produced heat, which admittedly is completely useless; the human body generates only about 100 Watts in heat, and you would only be able to fill with a small fraction of this without your body temperature dropping rapidly (not to mention that this would do basically nothing even if tapped quickly)...I simply cannot see any power in Scadrial's magical system being this useless...

Many things done with feruchemical steel in SoS contradict this, like lockpicking in super speed without breaking the lock or turning while in superspeed without crashing into walls.

Neither is implicitly impossible, the locks would most likely break if you weren't careful but someone who knew enough about physics could still manage enhanced speeds without breaking it.

Depending on how Brandon interprets how Feruchemical Brass works, that may or may not be a valid point. 

If F-Brass allows you to absorb ambient heat (which I consider most likely), then from a thermodynamics perspective there is no difference between being on fire and standing in a warm room other than the rate of heat transfer, and because there is no "tax" on rapidly filling a metalmind (no external cost), this should in theory allow one to do as I said.

Of course, even if Brandon decides to go this route (if we ever see a Firesoul Ferring, anyway), he might decide that the above is too overpowered and limit it somehow ( I consider this most likely). 

Beyond this is the possibility that F-Brass only allows you to absorb internally produced heat, which admittedly is completely useless; the human body generates only about 100 Watts in heat, and you would only be able to fill with a small fraction of this without your body temperature dropping rapidly (not to mention that this would do basically nothing even if tapped quickly)...I simply cannot see any power in Scadrial's magical system being this useless...

Well you couldn't absorb fire that's outside your body is the point, for it to be useful it would need to heat your body up a certain amount (Which would kill you) then you'd need to store it by cooling down your entire body (which would kill you).

Plus tapping enough to melt metal into slag would both incinerate all your clothes and seriously burn anyone else in a significant radius and consume pretty much all of your heat. And once you ran out you'd still be standing in the middle of 500 degree air with no longer any feruchemical protection against it. (Which, again would probably kill you)

Beyond this is the possibility that F-Brass only allows you to absorb internally produced heat, which admittedly is completely useless; the human body generates only about 100 Watts in heat, and you would only be able to fill with a small fraction of this without your body temperature dropping rapidly (not to mention that this would do basically nothing even if tapped quickly)...I simply cannot see any power in Scadrial's magical system being this useless...

It could save you from freezing to death, which is more useful then say a!Gold or any Gnat Misting.

If you are near to a source of heat (a bonfire for example, or inside a warm water pool) you may store small amount of heat for very long time (i suppose no more of the 5%) without great problems.

Also tapping Heat from the Metalmind must be done with little amount of heat (or you burn alive) also in external cold condition to remain quite "warm". Therefore this Feruchemical Ability has its own useness.

Edited by Yata

I want to see allomantic pewter with an Iron mind.  Toughen up your body with a pewter flare,  get going at a full speed run and tap jump at a wall while taping all the weight you can to become a human wrecking ball.  It'd be the ultimate thug.

Edited by Charononus

I want to see allomantic pewter with an Iron mind.  Toughen up your body with a pewter flare,  get going at a full speed run and tap jump at a wall while taping all the weight you can to become a human wrecking ball.  It'd be the ultimate thug.

Probably will give you an ability similar to the standard "Hulk's jump"

Quick question - does your body suffer consequences of your environment, even if you technically can't feel it? e.g if you're in a blizzard and tap heat, could you still get frostbite? Or does your skin literally get warmer and the frost melt away?

There are lots of potential uses for storing/tapping ambient heat in this world, too, especially where I live. We've got really hot summers and really cold winters. Store all the extra heat during summer (especially in a car with no a/c), tap it during winter, never be uncomfortable. Wear shorts in a blizzard, or a sweater in summer. Go swimming in a pool full of snow! I've always wanted to do that!

F-Brass would probably be best augmented by A-Pewter, though A-Steel is neat in almost any situation. (side note: I enjoy how Ranette uses A-Iron, and picture a lot of products specialized to specific types of metalborn in the future.) F-Brass and A-Zinc might be cool for somebody who camps a lot - tell emotional stories around a campfire. 

A-Chromium plus F-Copper: ace any test or debate or anything else that requires specific knowledge and luck. Become the world's greatest orator and take over the world if you want to. Or a thief. Either one. Personally, this (besides chromium/chromium) would be my preference.

What about A-Bendalloy and F-Chromium? With it, you could be the ultimate gambler, creating a timebubble that would let you 'even' the odds a little, then turn it off and tap luck. Or A-Bendalloy and F-Copper. They should be called "Crammers", since they could study a whole book right before the test, then use their copperminds to hold it. A-Bendalloy is the most useful metal in my opinion, but steel compounders would destroy everything.

If you are near to a source of heat (a bonfire for example, or inside a warm water pool) you may store small amount of heat for very long time (i suppose no more of the 5%) without great problems.

Also tapping Heat from the Metalmind must be done with little amount of heat (or you burn alive) also in external cold condition to remain quite "warm". Therefore this Feruchemical Ability has its own useness.

You'd probably be protected from any damage caused by excessive tapping of heat, just not excessive storing. Although as I mentioned earlier, you'd need to be careful when you stopped tapping and slowly reduce your temperature otherwise you'd be burned alive by the surrounding air.