Best Twinborn Combinations (Excluding Compounding)

DeadFencer

What Twinborn set of powers would be the best? For day to day life? Combat? Fun factor? Excluding compounders, because obvious and OP.

(Also if this thread already exists elsewhere I didn't see it. Just tell me and shut this one.)

Edited by LetoIX

I've often wondered at the possibilities of Allomantic tin with Feruchemical copper and storing all the additional sensory input you're getting from Allomantic tin in the Feruchemical copper for later review. Kind of like a DVR of all sensory input. Not sure if you can do that, but if you combine it with historic memorization techniques like memory palaces and such, you could get a "compounded" memory that is many times more dense than just normal memories.... potentially. 

I've often wondered at the possibilities of Allomantic tin with Feruchemical copper and storing all the additional sensory input you're getting from Allomantic tin in the Feruchemical copper for later review. Kind of like a DVR of all sensory input. Not sure if you can do that, but if you combine it with historic memorization techniques like memory palaces and such, you could get a "compounded" memory that is many times more dense than just normal memories.... potentially. 

HDCM - High Definition Copper Memories, now in 4k!

On a serious note, when the Twinborn is retrieving the HDC Memories from their coppermind, would they need to be burning tin to process the extra information?

Allomantic Zinc and Feruchemical Bendalloy. Riot's people's generosity, take all their food, subsume the rest once you're full, never be hungry.

College student's dream right there.

I think having feruchemical copper would be any students dream.

Edited by amulligan99

I think having feruchemical copper would be any students dream.

Feruchemy in general is a student's dream.  Zinc, Copper, Bronze, Chromium, and Gold would all be inordinately useful in any college environment.  Also Steel, for when you need to rush off somewhere (because you know you'll need to).  

Edited by Landis963

another one I thought of: Allomantic zinc (or Allomantic brass) and Feruchemical duralumin... use the emotional allomantic abilities to shift emotions in groups or individuals while at the same time storing or tapping your Spiritual connection to them. 

You could rise high as a politician or in a business of any sort by Rioting/Soothing to increase trust and tapping Spiritual connection. 

You could also probably make a sweet thief by damping down interest with Soothing or Rioting boredom and then storing connection to slip past unnoticed, unremarked. Then if you do get caught, throw some of the above trust and connection at them to get out of it. 

This is a thread that has happened before...but let's be honest...do any of us EVER get tired of theorizing about which powers we would like to have?

If my previous statement didn't make it obvious...I've put a lot of thought into this question...and also have several questions about how certain powers might work together.  For instance...

- If you can burn pewter, would it allow you to "hack" a lot of the feruchemical abilities...almost making a generic compounder?  i.e. Burning pewter makes you heal faster, and allows you to ignore the discomfort of being injured or sick.  So...could you constantly (being careful to avoid savantism) keep pewter on a low burn while constantly storing a small amount of health in gold?  Result being that you never feel crappy but gradually store up healing?  This could potentially apply to many of the other basic feruchemical metals...steel, pewter (without compounding), brass, bronze, zinc?

Assuming that this works...A- pewter F- gold would be my go to.

That aside...I've often wondered what you could do if you were A- pewter F-iron.  I picture the world's best parkour runner, rock climber, ninja warrior....who incidentally would be a real pain in the butt to beat in a fight.

A- steel and F-iron would obviously be awesome...but Brandon has already showed us what this looks like quite thoroughly....

I've also wondered a lot about something that bluepotion mentions...the possible advantages of A- bendalloy and really most other feruchemical powers.  Most of them SEEM to have a correlation to time when referring to storing and using...theoretically...being able to burn bendalloy would just make it easier to store more faster...right?

For that matter...now that I think of it...being a Pulser + Steelrunner would be potentially devastating...imagine being able to slow down everyone around you in relation to time outside...while tapping enough speed to offset the temporal drag for just you...obviously Slider + Steelrunner would just be unfair...

P.S. Sorry for the word vomit...I love talking about this topic...

Edited by hoidhunter

I like the idea of a Coinshot-Archivist twinborn (I'm calling it a Courier until Brandon gives us a real name ;). I'm working on a complete list, just for fun).

I imagine them storing confidential messages in a coppermind, going on a delivery flying on steelpushes, retrieving the memory and telling the recipient, then storing the memory again and destroying the coppermind. (their copperminds look like credit cards engraved with the recipients name and address, maybe smaller)

Another fun one would be a Seeker-Connector (temp. name: Stalker). Store spiritual connection to make people unaware of you, then follow your target with bronze.

(I'm calling it a Courier until Brandon gives us a real name ;). I'm working on a complete list, just for fun).

Can I have your list when you're done with it?

I would love to have Allomantic Electrum with Feruchemical Zinc. Autium with out the Auti! you would be able to see everything that others would do by analyzing your shadows motions, reactions, and expressions.

Another cool one would be to have Allomatic Tin and Feruchemical Brass. There you have a True Sentry.

Allomantic Pewter with Feruchemical Bendalloy would be pretty great, as a pewter drag probably wouldn't kill you.

Edited by Divine0Flame

I would love to have Allomantic Electrum with Feruchemical Zinc. Autium with out the Auti! you would be able to see everything that others would do by analyzing your shadows motions, reactions, and expressions.

Another cool one would be to have Allomatic Tin and Feruchemical Brass. There you have a True Sentry.

Allomantic Pewter with Feruchemical Bendalloy would be pretty great, as a pewter drag probably wouldn't kill you.

I like that idea of using Electrum, something else you could do was train yourself to react in obvious ways to certain scenarios, maybe even learn sign language and just constantly sign to yourself things that are happening around you so when you look at the Electrum shadow you could see it.

Assuming the shadow doesn't form on top of yourself or something, and doesn't split due to access to future knowledge.

Never did figure out how it works exactly.

Not sure what you mean by on top of yourself but I'm pretty sure it explicitly does split but you could still see each of those futures, and with Zinc allow yourself enough time to analyze them and pick the best one.

Allomantic pewter and Feruchemical zinc, for the more pratical and direct fighters. Better strenght, speed, endurance and a incredible reaction speed.

Allomantic pewter and Feruchemical iron, if you want to jump across roofs and make the ground tremble beneath your steps.

Allomantic pewter and feruchemical gold or steel, since pewter also boosts speed and endurance, making it easier to store two overpowered, but hard to store, attributes.

Not sure what you mean by on top of yourself but I'm pretty sure it explicitly does split but you could still see each of those futures, and with Zinc allow yourself enough time to analyze them and pick the best one.

As in, atium shadows lead the original object by a couple of seconds or so, and presumably electrum does too. In hindsight I'm sure your mind gets modified to process it, but it'd look pretty weird if you aren't moving too far in the shadows, since they'll be right next to you or even overlapping your body.

Edited by natc

Since reading Shadows of Self has brought Sandersonion thoughts back to mind in my free time, I've been thinking a lot about what it would really be like to be Allomantic bendalloy/Feruchemical zinc or Feruchemical steel.  Mostly to use the time bubble to store attributes safely.  For Feruchemical steel, it seems like a 1-for-1 offset of time, where you could stand in relatively the same place (within your bubble) for 15 seconds of outside time, but actually store 2 minutes.  However, bendalloy is actually dilating time, not yourself.  So the outside world wouldn't feel any more normal.  You'd just have your own little 2 minute eternity.  In the case of Feruchemical zinc, this could be downright trippy.  

Ok, so all that said, my twinborn power: The Timewaster's Guide: I feel sorry for whatever personality would cause someone to actually LIKE this power combo, but the Timewaster's Guide is dedicated to pulsing through time with his mind slowed down enough to make the outside world seem exciting. 

Actually, you can have it right now, since I've hit a bit of a block.

I'm basing it on how both powers can support one another, but that is pretty impossible for some combinations (A-gold/F-iron)

The ones in italic are based on what I believe about certain powers, but can't substantiate, for instance I believe that Allomantic Aluminum might be able to drain a metalmind, so I gave those names based on getting rid of the stored attibute.

It's a screenshot cause I can't figure out how to post a decent table.

Twinborn_zps0ijil0mf.png

• 4 weeks later...

Allomantic brass and feruchemical bronze. Allomantic brass, because I really don't like people going Everstorm over the smallest details; also Soothing in general is useful.

Feruchemical bronze is one of those 'double gain' feruchemical abilities (like with iron, both storing and tapping gives you an ability, while storing zinc makes you an idiot, therefore it's 'one gain' ability).
For starters, you can fill it while sleeping. That's awesome in and of itself. You don't need additional time to replenish your reserves. It's replenished daily.
Furthermore, if you fill it during sleeping, you achieve a deeper sleep, which may:

• let you rest better, so you can cut sleep time without health consequences. Or you can sleep the normal amount of time and be better rested.
  • let you sleep even when there is some noise, or bright light or something - you can sleep whenever and wherever you want. No more waking up to accidental noises! You can sleep even when there is a party behind the wall.

Now, you can tap it to learn all the night and you don't need coffee. Or you can party all night without the need of sleep lurking somewhere in your head. You're fresh all that time.
What else? No more slow waking up - you hear your alarm, you open your eyes and you tap bronze. Coffee? Who needs that?!
If you start falling asleep in the class (for me it is a true curse) you just start tapping bronze.

Feruchemical bronze is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

Allomantic brass and feruchemical bronze. Allomantic brass, because I really don't like people going shitstorm over the smallest details; also Soothing in general is useful.

Feruchemical bronze is one of those 'double gain' feruchemical abilities (like with iron, both storing and tapping gives you an ability, while storing zinc makes you an idiot, therefore it's 'one gain' ability).

For starters, you can fill it while sleeping. That's awesome in and of itself. You don't need additional time to replenish your reserves. It's replenished daily.

Furthermore, if you fill it during sleeping, you achieve a deeper sleep, which may:

• let you rest better, so you can cut sleep time without health consequences. Or you can sleep the normal amount of time and be better rested.
  • let you sleep even when there is some noise, or bright light or something - you can sleep whenever and wherever you want. No more waking up to accidental noises! You can sleep even when there is a party behind the wall.

Now, you can tap it to learn all the night and you don't need coffee. Or you can party all night without the need of sleep lurking somewhere in your head. You're fresh all that time.

What else? No more slow waking up - you hear your alarm, you open your eyes and you tap bronze. Coffee? Who needs that?!

If you start falling asleep in the class (for me it is a true curse) you just start tapping bronze.

Feruchemical bronze is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

You'd probably sleep deeper but even less restfully. So you'd maybe get the immunity to bright lights and such but you'd need to sleep more every day not less since the restfulness is being stored.

But filling a bronze metalmind makes you sleepy. So you sacrifice some of your wakefullness and effectively get sleepy and yawning. So if you're sleeping, you also sacrifice some of wakefullness, effectively sleeping deeper.

Better way to explain this: lets assume two attributes on the opposite sides of an axis, Wakefullness and Sleepness. Storing bronze pushes you from the state you're in towards Sleepness, storing the difference between your natural state and your actual state in bronzemind.
Tapping it pushes you towards Wakefullness the same amount of units that you stored.

So if you're sleeping, you get the same rest that you'd normally get, but you're effectively sleeping deeper, which gives an immunity to distractions.

So I was partially wrong about cutting sleeping time, but it doesn't mean that I would sleep less restfully.

Hm, but if we assume another model of Feruchemy, then you're right and I am completely wrong about the rest gained. Is there some topic about Bronze Feruchemy? Is there some WoB on feruchemical bronze?

Edit: Voidus, I got a newcomer accept my cookie. Can I join Dark Alley?

Edited by Oversleep