More Reckoners Books?

Elbereth

So I was transcribing the Gollancz signing last night, and this happened:

Q: What's on your plate?

A: [paraphrased] Stormlight 3. [verbatim] And then after that, I have pitched a new trilogy to Randomhouse, which is my teen publisher in the US. That would come out with [something]. It would be the followup to Steelheart, not the same world, but something to follow that up.

So yeah. There's going to be more Reckoners!

Are there? He said it won't be the same world. :huh:

Sounds more like a spiritual succesor than anything. Though I suppose depending on how similair they are Reckoners might turn into a broader franchise term. Eh, we'll see. Anyway, more books. Will he ever stop? Nope! :lol:

Edited by Edgedancer

Sounds more like a spiritual succesor than anything. Though I suppose depending on how similair they are Reckoners might turn into a broader franchise term. Eh, we'll see. Anyway, more books. Will he ever stop? Nope! :lol:

"Oh no. Somebody stop him. He's writing a bunch of really cool books at a speed most other writers can only envy." --all of Brandon's fans

I don't think he does his professor gig because he needs the money at this point. The man's advances and royalties probably bring him quite a bit of income.

Actually he doesn't even take a salary for it anymore, I think.  He donates it back to the BYU sci-fi/fantasy magazine.  One of the main reasons he still does it is for the socialization.

Brandon was talking about this at the Release Party at BYU. If I remember correctly, it's about a group of scientists that look at alternate universes that are about to have cataclysmic events, and they go there and try to stop it. When asked if it was in the same universe as one of his other books, he mentioned it being in the same multiverse as a series that supports multiverses (aka Reckoners, with Megan's multiverse channeling). 

Brandon was talking about this at the Release Party at BYU. If I remember correctly, it's about a group of scientists that look at alternate universes that are about to have cataclysmic events, and they go there and try to stop it. When asked if it was in the same universe as one of his other books, he mentioned it being in the same multiverse as a series that supports multiverses (aka Reckoners, with Megan's multiverse channeling).

That sounds [/i]awesome[/i].

That sounds [/i]awesome[/i].

It does, now one could ask where they were when Calamity showed up. I guess the multiverse is a bussy place. :ph34r: 

Although, one has to wonder how exactly these multiverses work. This may sound pesimistic but if this is one of those infinite possibility variante (and given some of what we have seen from Megan this seems to be the case) there would always be just as many, if not more, multiverses where they simply fail or don't try in the first place. Meaning that unless they have some way to restirct the creation of multiverses their work is inherently pointless... or in a way harmful as they would likely create more bad worlds in which they failed than they would ones in which they succede.

It does, now one could ask where they were when Calamity showed up. I guess the multiverse is a bussy place. :ph34r:

Although, one has to wonder how exactly these multiverses work. This may sound pesimistic but if this is one of those infinite possibility variante (and given some of what we have seen from Megan this seems to be the case) there would always be just as many, if not more, multiverses where they simply fail or don't try in the first place. Meaning that unless they have some way to restirct the creation of multiverses their work is inherently pointless... or in a way harmful as they would likely create more bad worlds in which they failed than they would ones in which they succede.

This just makes it sound even more fascinating. How do they work around that problem? Have any of them developed god complexes, believing the bad universes they create deserve to burn because they never really existed in the first place? How does this whole thing even work?

Actually he doesn't even take a salary for it anymore, I think.  He donates it back to the BYU sci-fi/fantasy magazine.  One of the main reasons he still does it is for the socialization.

I've said this before and we all know it anyway but Brandon is sparking awesome. :D

This just makes it sound even more fascinating. How do they work around that problem? Have any of them developed god complexes, believing the bad universes they create deserve to burn because they never really existed in the first place? How does this whole thing even work?

A fascinating concept! These scientists would need to be gods for their goal to even have a chance of succeeding, though. And are they themselves just in an alternate universe? Are there infinite copies of these teams in alternate universes fixing the rest of their multiverses problems?

And why did they screw up so badly with Calamity??? :P

• 1 month later...

I've got admit.  I hope Brandon does more work in this (or a similar) universe.  Despite this being a YA book, I think I have enjoyed the reckoner series (especially firefight) more than any of Brandon's other work (and I have read most of it).I found the world he created incredibly imaginative and compelling.  It came to life for me more than any other in recent memory.  Maybe that is partly because I have always found sci-fi somewhat more compelling than fantasy, but I think its mostly the incredible world he dreamt up for us in this series.

I also usually find love stories in novels tiresome, but for some reason I really liked the Megan/David story, I thought it worked really well and found myself really enjoying their moments together.

I also listened to the series on Audiobook.  The narrator for this series was hands down, the best narrator I have yet encontered.  He really brought the characters to life.

Really hope Brandon does some more/similar dystopian sci-fi.  He is great at it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic