Dalinar's Flashback Chapter from Oathbringer

Argent

There are so many negative reactions to the Dalinar flashback. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Really, he could have been much worse. I figured that archer at the end was done for. Recruiting him made the old Blackthorn come off as much more likable than I expected. I The first two books tell us explicitly that Dalinar used to be a brutal warlord. His portrayal is almost a relief. There are so many much darker roads he could have gone down.

I don't think it's necessarily that so many of us react negatively to Dalinar in his flashback, it's that we now realise just how far Dalinar has come since his youth. It's one thing being told 'you used to be a brutal warlord who killed people that disagreed with him, and now you'd rather be friends' and quite another to see a character use civilians to pressure his enemies. 

I guess it's just that it was pretty much exactly what I expected, except toned down a bit to keep the character from becoming totally unlikable. I'm just surprised by people's reactions. Real feudal warlords didn't just round up civilians and show them off to make their enemies nervous; they slaughtered those civilians. I know grimdark isn't Brandon's style, but he could have still made Dalinar a whole lot worse than he did. The first two Stormlight books have made it abundantly clear that Alethi honor is a load of crap, and it is standard operating procedure to waste lives intentionally as a battle strategy, particularly those of the darkeyes.

You know what surprised me? That he judges his soldiers by their merit, not their social status. He has lighteyes and darkeyes in his elite squad. I was surprised that he didn't smirk at the kid screaming for his parents as he died, instead thinking of how men of any age often did the same. It didn't stop him from killing the kid, but it was more respect than I expected from a brutal warlord. I was surprised that he ordered his men to only round up hostages and wait to do any kind of looting, rather than telling them to go ahead and raze the village to the ground while they're at it.

Yeah, the young Dalinar was a jerk, but the seeds of the honorable guy we know from some decades later are already there.

I guess it's just that it was pretty much exactly what I expected, except toned down a bit to keep the character from becoming totally unlikable. I'm just surprised by people's reactions. Real feudal warlords didn't just round up civilians and show them off to make their enemies nervous; they slaughtered those civilians. I know grimdark isn't Brandon's style, but he could have still made Dalinar a whole lot worse than he did. The first two Stormlight books have made it abundantly clear that Alethi honor is a load of crap, and it is standard operating procedure to waste lives intentionally as a battle strategy, particularly those of the darkeyes.

You know what surprised me? That he judges his soldiers by their merit, not their social status. He has lighteyes and darkeyes in his elite squad. I was surprised that he didn't smirk at the kid screaming for his parents as he died, instead thinking of how men of any age often did the same. It didn't stop him from killing the kid, but it was more respect than I expected from a brutal warlord. I was surprised that he ordered his men to only round up hostages and wait to do any kind of looting, rather than telling them to go ahead and raze the village to the ground while they're at it.

Yeah, the young Dalinar was a jerk, but the seeds of the honorable guy we know from some decades later are already there.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking; as I started reading the transcript, my initial thought was: "Oh boy. I'm going to hate Dalinar by the end of this, aren't I?" I was pretty surprised with how it turned out, pleasantly so. When I read "brutal warlord", my first thought was actually something to do with Genghis Khan. As such, this turned out MUCH better. 

First post on this forum, so here goes. I've seen some of you compare Dalinar to Djengis Kahn. Whilst this makes sense in terms of brutality, it does not make much sense in terms of motivation. Djengis Kahn was driven by the thrill of conquest, by getting more land,wealth and power. I would actually say that Gavialar is a better parallel to Djengis. Both in terms of methods, motivations and goals.

In this chapter Dalinar fights for the fight itself, for the glory of battle and a worthy opponent. He admits he does not care for the politics, reasoning and underlining causes of this battle. And in this he ressembles Achllies. Who was there for the glory of battle alone. Their fighting skills are both pretty bad chull and they both surround themselves with an entourage of supreme worthy fighters, Dalinars elites and Achllies mermidons.

This chapter was great, I can't wait for more of Dalinar's flashbacks. Especially the period just after Gavilars assassination.

Edited by VINdaloo

First post on this forum, so here goes. I've seen some of you compare Dalinar to Djengis Kahn. Whilst this makes sense in terms of brutality, it does not make much sense in terms of motivation. Djengis Kahn was driven by the thrill of conquest, by getting more land,wealth and power. I would actually say that Gavialar is a better parallel to Djengis. Both in terms of methods, motivations and goals.

In this chapter Dalinar fights for the fight itself, for the glory of battle and a worthy opponent. He admits he does not care for the politics, reasoning and underlining causes of this battle. And in this he ressembles Achllies. Who was there for the glory of battle alone. Their fighting skills are both pretty bad chull and they both surround themselves with an entourage of supreme worthy fighters, Dalinars elites and Achllies mermidons.

This chapter was great, I can't wait for more of Dalinar's flashbacks. Especially the period just after Gavilars assassination.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3suo4l/oathbringer_i_think_flashback_dalinar_is_based/

In the link above, Brandon says that Khan was his inspiration for the plot in the scene, so take that as you will. It's likely just the inspiration for Dalinar's resourcefulness and practicality rather than brutality, which is something people didn't always realize about Khan.

I get everyone seeing Dalinar as a brutal warlord (even though all he did was use soldiers families as an incentive to surrender, and weve seen much, much worse simply from Sadeas in WoK), but I dont get how people are just foegetting how Adolin, for what was most likely years, railed against following the Codes. Behaved as petulant spoiled child because he couldnt dress flashy. Be a whiney boy about not being able to duel during war time. Pining over not being able to get drunk while on duty. I mean honestly, through most of WoK, he acts like an immature child. Dont get me wrong, i really like Adolin. Especially after he gave Sadeas exactly what was coming to him. But it cant be argued that for most of book 1, he acted like a whiny child.

You're not taking into account that Dalinar is literally the only Alethi who follows the Codes. Adolin isn't whining; he's trying to make his father see reason. Sure, from our perspective as readers, Dalinar clearly is taking the moral stance, but from the perspective of most of the Alethi characters, he's just being ridiculous. Also, Adolin doesn't want to get drunk on duty. He wants to be able to relax with a drink when he is not on duty. He doesn't want to dress flashy. He wants to dress in a way that doesn't make him a laughing stock. Fashion is important to the Alethi court, and while that is pretty shallow, expecting to Adolin to magically transcend the conventions of his society is pretty unrealistic. As for the dueling, that's part of his religious calling! 

Imagine if your parents suddenly said that you had to start dressing in tights and breeches and powdered wigs. And they vaguely said it was important and read passages from an 18th century etiquette book at you, which you didn't really understand. Every single one of your peers laughed at you. Their parents thought you were ridiculous. Even the oldest members of society don't remember a time when what you are doing was remotely traditional. You and your entire family are a laughing stock, and you're hearing whispered rumors that your family members should all lose their jobs and probably be carted off to asylums somewhere. 

That is what it seems like to Adolin. The fact that Dalinar is right and Alethi society is corrupt and in need of a good shaking up has no bearing on how Adolin perceives it. He is not acting like an immature child at all. And I'm not a big Adolin fanboy or anything. His character does annoy me at times. But "whiny" is a major misread of what is going on.

I get everyone seeing Dalinar as a brutal warlord (even though all he did was use soldiers families as an incentive to surrender, and weve seen much, much worse simply from Sadeas in WoK), but I dont get how people are just foegetting how Adolin, for what was most likely years, railed against following the Codes. Behaved as petulant spoiled child because he couldnt dress flashy. Be a whiney boy about not being able to duel during war time. Pining over not being able to get drunk while on duty. I mean honestly, through most of WoK, he acts like an immature child. Dont get me wrong, i really like Adolin. Especially after he gave Sadeas exactly what was coming to him. But it cant be argued that for most of book 1, he acted like a whiny child.

Considering the fact Dalinar did not even bother to explain to Adolin why he should be upholding his righteous code which he indeed fished out of a pile of out-dated documentation, his complains are not entirely unjustified. Dalinar is a rather unnerving individual which expects people to obey to his words without being given any explanation, without voicing any opposition, without second guessing him, without having enough judgment to wonder if the orders are sound to begin with. In other words, simply because Adolin does not act like a mindless robot and requires life examples to start to comprehend does not make him whiny. Had Adolin not been complaining so overtly, I would have wondered about his leadership qualities: he is supposed to lead these men someday and yet he should learn to do this by never using his mental faculties, by simply obeying without wondering if it is right? Why in the world should he even believe his father is right, when everyone else says he is wrong, when his instincts tell him he is wrong? Simply because daddy says so and we the readers, of course know, how magnificent Dalinar is? Turns out Dalinar was wrong and Adolin was right, so who should have better listen to who?

As DSC01 pointed out, Adolin is basically ask to stand outside the society he was raised in, to wear clothes which are considered ridiculous, to refuse to have a drink while being off-duty at a feast where everyone indulges (he never once considered drinking while being on duty) simply because his father decided, on what appears to him as a whim, to maintain a dusty old code most individuals never even heard of. I should also point out he is a very young man who has been asked to give up his social life since he was a teenager. Needless to say most teenagers would not react positively to being told they are not allowed to go to parties anymore and they should wear their uniforms even when not at school. Try to find one who would actually obey to such commands.

Adolin has been forced to, for 6 years which is a large chunk of his life and all the while, he was laughed at and pointed at, when he didn't have to suffer people simply calling his father a fool ready to a one-way trip to the asylum. 

As for the dueling, it is not only his Calling, but his passion. How would you react if someone where to suddenly decide you aren't allowed to practice what passionate you the most in life simply because some boring old custom calls for it? And which reasons are being brought forward? It is dishonorable, officers should not engage in activities susceptible of injuring them in a time of war. Need I remember what glorious honorable activity Dalinar was engaging in during the very first Adolin's POV? A hunt. A hunt which caused the death of 50 good soldiers and was conducted for the sole purpose of giving an excuse for Elhokar to pretend at being a leader. Adolin hates hunting, he finds it dishonorable. So on one side, he is told his one passion is not an acceptable pursuit when at war, but the one activity he despises the most is perfectly fine. Now if we look back, which activity caused the largest death toll? The hunt, nobody we could see ever got injured in those duels. And while he is not allowed to duel, he is being lectured on how grand hunts are, how marginal and bizarre he is not to reveal in them...  So isn't it slightly justified Adolin should voice some complains over the entire deal as from his perspective it likely is unbelievably unfair? 

I should also point out how everyone dismiss Adolin, thinking him a one-hit wonder as he failed to engage into any significant fights likely since he won his Blade. Nobody thinks he amounts to much, nobody thinks he is a worthy opponent. He is basically looked down by the entire lighteyed elite simply for being his father's son and once he finally decides his father is right: he loses all his so-called friends. 

So yeah, sorry but Adolin has causes to complain, but I certainly would not call him whiny nor immature. Perhaps it would be well to conclude by saying Dalinar praises the Herald Adolin is able to speak his mid so freely, even if he finds it tiring... as a mindless robot would never do as a Highprince.

I have one thing to say in support of the no drinking: Gavilar was fighting for his life while Dalinar was in a drunken stupor.

Yes but it was a feast... There weren't supposed to be any threats. While being dead drunk is never very glorious, Dalinar was still off-duty...

Dalinar does have reason to feel guilty about his behavior at that feast, though. If I recall correctly, Gavilar asked him to mind the codes that night, clearly acting like he sensed something would go wrong. He could have restrained himself a little. 

Honestly, though, his prohibition on drinking really is coming straight from the codes, and it really would be ridiculous if he tried to use that experience to justify preventing others from having a couple of drinks. The logic there would be, "I drank four bottles of wine when the king had asked me to be on alert, so now you can't have two glasses of wine when no one has asked you to do anything but relax."

Dalinar does have reason to feel guilty about his behavior at that feast, though. If I recall correctly, Gavilar asked him to mind the codes that night, clearly acting like he sensed something would go wrong. He could have restrained himself a little. 

Honestly, though, his prohibition on drinking really is coming straight from the codes, and it really would be ridiculous if he tried to use that experience to justify preventing others from having a couple of drinks. The logic there would be, "I drank four bottles of wine when the king had asked me to be on alert, so now you can't have two glasses of wine when no one has asked you to do anything but relax."

I had forgotten he was asked to stay alert. In any advent, we can all agree 4 bottles of wine is not reasonable drinking. In that optic, I should point out how much more mature 23 years old Adolin is when compared to 45 years old Dalinar: he at least agreed to remain sober when asked. Besides, considering how long he has been following them, Adolin likely never had time to actually be old enough to get drunk. Well depending on how old lighteyes allow their children to drink...  :unsure:

However, Dalinar could have later maintained his code by having the soldiers on duty remain sober.. He did not have to force his son to basically drink juice on his relaxing time simply to pretend at being "ready". There is an entire world in between being passed out drunk, drooling on a table and relaxing for 2-3 glasses of red wine.

Dalinar's views are extremist. 

I had forgotten he was asked to stay alert. In any advent, we can all agree 4 bottles of wine is not reasonable drinking. In that optic, I should point out how much more mature 23 years old Adolin is when compared to 45 years old Dalinar: he at least agreed to remain sober when asked. Besides, considering how long he has been following them, Adolin likely never had time to actually be old enough to get drunk. Well depending on how old lighteyes allow their children to drink...  :unsure:

However, Dalinar could have later maintained his code by having the soldiers on duty remain sober.. He did not have to force his son to basically drink juice on his relaxing time simply to pretend at being "ready". There is an entire world in between being passed out drunk, drooling on a table and relaxing for 2-3 glasses of red wine.

Dalinar's views are extremist.

When they go to the party Elhokar has, Dalinar says Adolin and Renarin can have one cup of blue, then they must stick to orange wine. I'm not sure how the different wine colors compare to alcoholic drinks on earth, but I assume that would be equivalent to one or two glasses of wine, then switching to water.

When they go to the party Elhokar has, Dalinar says Adolin and Renarin can have one cup of blue, then they must stick to orange wine. I'm not sure how the different wine colors compare to alcoholic drinks on earth, but I assume that would be equivalent to one or two glasses of wine, then switching to water.

Actually, the alcohol content in he various wine on Roshar has been the subject of a few discussions... Orange wine is said to practically juice, so I'd say it is either juice or cooler. Yellow is likely the equivalent of very light beer as Adolin does not mind drinking it right before dueling. Blue and purple are more tricky. Some people believe blue wine is the same as regular beer while purple wine is more like normal wine while others think blue is like wine and purple is more akin to liquor.

My thoughts are the following:

Orange=0,5% or less

Yellow=2-3%

Blue=5-7%

Purple=12%

In any advent, Adolin is allowed to drink one glass of wine and plenty of orange juice, which is not much. Of course what one individual considers a "reasonable amount" may differ, but one beer in an evening likely to last several hours is not much. 

Whereas or know readers will find him justified to complain about that is certainly linked to our own personal relation with alcohol. 

Considering the fact Dalinar did not even bother to explain to Adolin why he should be upholding his righteous code which he indeed fished out of a pile of out-dated documentation, his complains are not entirely unjustified. Dalinar is a rather unnerving individual which expects people to obey to his words without being given any explanation, without voicing any opposition, without second guessing him, without having enough judgment to wonder if the orders are sound to begin with. In other words, simply because Adolin does not act like a mindless robot and requires life examples to start to comprehend does not make him whiny. Had Adolin not been complaining so overtly, I would have wondered about his leadership qualities: he is supposed to lead these men someday and yet he should learn to do this by never using his mental faculties, by simply obeying without wondering if it is right? Why in the world should he even believe his father is right, when everyone else says he is wrong, when his instincts tell him he is wrong? Simply because daddy says so and we the readers, of course know, how magnificent Dalinar is? Turns out Dalinar was wrong and Adolin was right, so who should have better listen to who?

As DSC01 pointed out, Adolin is basically ask to stand outside the society he was raised in, to wear clothes which are considered ridiculous, to refuse to have a drink while being off-duty at a feast where everyone indulges (he never once considered drinking while being on duty) simply because his father decided, on what appears to him as a whim, to maintain a dusty old code most individuals never even heard of. I should also point out he is a very young man who has been asked to give up his social life since he was a teenager. Needless to say most teenagers would not react positively to being told they are not allowed to go to parties anymore and they should wear their uniforms even when not at school. Try to find one who would actually obey to such commands.

Adolin has been forced to, for 6 years which is a large chunk of his life and all the while, he was laughed at and pointed at, when he didn't have to suffer people simply calling his father a fool ready to a one-way trip to the asylum. 

As for the dueling, it is not only his Calling, but his passion. How would you react if someone where to suddenly decide you aren't allowed to practice what passionate you the most in life simply because some boring old custom calls for it? And which reasons are being brought forward? It is dishonorable, officers should not engage in activities susceptible of injuring them in a time of war. Need I remember what glorious honorable activity Dalinar was engaging in during the very first Adolin's POV? A hunt. A hunt which caused the death of 50 good soldiers and was conducted for the sole purpose of giving an excuse for Elhokar to pretend at being a leader. Adolin hates hunting, he finds it dishonorable. So on one side, he is told his one passion is not an acceptable pursuit when at war, but the one activity he despises the most is perfectly fine. Now if we look back, which activity caused the largest death toll? The hunt, nobody we could see ever got injured in those duels. And while he is not allowed to duel, he is being lectured on how grand hunts are, how marginal and bizarre he is not to reveal in them...  So isn't it slightly justified Adolin should voice some complains over the entire deal as from his perspective it likely is unbelievably unfair? 

I should also point out how everyone dismiss Adolin, thinking him a one-hit wonder as he failed to engage into any significant fights likely since he won his Blade. Nobody thinks he amounts to much, nobody thinks he is a worthy opponent. He is basically looked down by the entire lighteyed elite simply for being his father's son and once he finally decides his father is right: he loses all his so-called friends. 

So yeah, sorry but Adolin has causes to complain, but I certainly would not call him whiny nor immature. Perhaps it would be well to conclude by saying Dalinar praises the Herald Adolin is able to speak his mid so freely, even if he finds it tiring... as a mindless robot would never do as a Highprince.

Sorry to say, even while Dali ar didnt explain the codes sufficiently, Adolin could have had them read to him to try to understand. IIRC he didnt for a long while.

About Adolins Calling, and Passion. This is a childs thinking. In life , a lot of times you have to sacrifice doing what youre passionate about to do what is needed. And a dusty old book it might be, doesnt change the fact that it makes a lot more sense than what the Alethi think is Honorable and 'right'. Which is basically war, war, masculinity, and more war. And basically your arguments are pointless, because even Adolin comes to agree his actions are childish. Comes to follow the codes. And Dalinar eases up on Adolin dueling only to do whats needed, which is to quell the the other Highprinces.

And yes, Dalinar may appear(and even be) robotic and without emotion. But I only see that as him being in control, because he knows what type of man he can be when he isnt.

In conclusion, Adolins story, for me, is him only accepting what hes willing to accept, until he finally realizes thats not what true responsibility is, and decides to grow up. You stating that hes just acting how his culture thinks he should is only emphasizing how immature he really is (util the last third of WoK anyway).

Sorry to say, even while Dali ar didnt explain the codes sufficiently, Adolin could have had them read to him to try to understand. IIRC he didnt for a long while.

About Adolins Calling, and Passion. This is a childs thinking. In life , a lot of times you have to sacrifice doing what youre passionate about to do what is needed. And a dusty old book it might be, doesnt change the fact that it makes a lot more sense than what the Alethi think is Honorable and 'right'. Which is basically war, war, masculinity, and more war. And basically your arguments are pointless, because even Adolin comes to agree his actions are childish. Comes to follow the codes. And Dalinar eases up on Adolin dueling only to do whats needed, which is to quell the the other Highprinces.

And yes, Dalinar may appear(and even be) robotic and without emotion. But I only see that as him being in control, because he knows what type of man he can be when he isnt.

In conclusion, Adolins story, for me, is him only accepting what hes willing to accept, until he finally realizes thats not what true responsibility is, and decides to grow up. You stating that hes just acting how his culture thinks he should is only emphasizing how immature he really is (util the last third of WoK anyway).

I disagree with everything you have written, but I truly have no heart to formulate a more in-depth answer. Perhaps some other day, but I currently have no desire to respond to someone referring to passion and calling as childish thinking. If these are childish, then I am he greatest child of all and proud to be. Adolin's passion is what makes him a dedicated and persevere individual able to focus his entire attention and energy into fulfilling a goal, a dream. This behavior is everything BUT childish.

I also disagree the codes NEED to be uphold. They don't. Adolin does not need to wear his uniform 24/7 to be a dedicated soldier. He does not need to never be allowed any free, easy time off to be responsible. He does not need to disengage himself from the dueling ground while being forced to hunt. He doesn't. What he needs to do is being a responsible officer and a dedicated Highprince in learning. which he does, without the codes. Besides, Adolin has spend a lifetime putting his desires, his needs behind the greater needs of his family. It is unfair to call him childish and basically selfish for not seeing his passion should pass second: it passes second. It always does. All he asked for was leniency, from time to time and it was refused to him.

Dalinar wants the codes, so Adolin does it and that is what makes him unbelievably responsible and mature for his age group. Another individual would have just drink that extra glass of wine while daddy is not looking, not Adolin. Besides, Adolin has read the code, over and over again, but he does not comprehend until he is given enough real life examples to see with is own eyes the difference it makes. As his father, Dalinar should have explained his reasons, he should have treated his son as an adult and have that talk with him. He didn't. He instead expected blind obedience as if he would of a child.

You also walk on the premise the codes are right, but they aren't. They are biased and hypocritical. 

While I agree with your assessment of Adolin for the most part, I think that you're wrong about the codes. They outline precisely the appropriate conduct for officers during times of war. The problem is, the Alethi aren't really fighting a war; they're playing a game. In a real war, it makes sense to always be in uniform, to always avoid drunkenness, in case of an attack, etc. In this particular case, they make Dalinar et al look foolish because real wartime conditions don't exist.

Dalinar is well-meaning in his attempt to be an example to others, but the code he follows doesn't fit what is going on at the Shattered Plains. The camps are in no real danger of attack--not any more than a city in Alethkar would be during a period where there is peace but a bordering nation might attack. The only real warlike periods are when they go on plateau runs, which are more like very dangerous hunting expeditions or sporting events. They are fighting for any cause; they're competing for a prize. Oh, sure, it's bloody and dangerous, but gladiators in ancient Rome faced the same thing when they competed in what were undeniably games.

Now, when the Desolation comes in force, I expect that following the codes is going to become very important. And no one is going to seem foolish for doing so.

While I agree with your assessment of Adolin for the most part, I think that you're wrong about the codes. They outline precisely the appropriate conduct for officers during times of war. The problem is, the Alethi aren't really fighting a war; they're playing a game. In a real war, it makes sense to always be in uniform, to always avoid drunkenness, in case of an attack, etc. In this particular case, they make Dalinar et al look foolish because real wartime conditions don't exist.

Dalinar is well-meaning in his attempt to be an example to others, but the code he follows doesn't fit what is going on at the Shattered Plains. The camps are in no real danger of attack--not any more than a city in Alethkar would be during a period where there is peace but a bordering nation might attack. The only real warlike periods are when they go on plateau runs, which are more like very dangerous hunting expeditions or sporting events. They are fighting for any cause; they're competing for a prize. Oh, sure, it's bloody and dangerous, but gladiators in ancient Rome faced the same thing when they competed in what were undeniably games.

Yes, I agree with this. When I called the codes biased and hypocritical I referred to the fact it condones dueling as any activity susceptible of injuring officers should be suspended while it approves of hunting which caused more deaths than all duels we have seen combined. It is thus hypocritical. 

I also agree the war against the Parshendi is a farce. Treating it as a real war may be honorable, but it simply serves to reinforce the fact it is a farce.

I'd say that hunting isn't covered by the codes because the people who wrote them would have never imagined a situation where people who were supposed to be at war took some time off to go on a superfluous and dangerous hunt. 

And yet the person who imagined the code figured people at war would have the time for frivolous duels? Still, admitting you are right, why doesn't Dalinar mentally link the reasons behind forbidding dueling (creates useless injuries) to hunting (creates useless injuries and deaths)? Especially since we have yet to see someone get injured in those duels...

I guess one activity benefits his nephew and himself as he loves hunting while the other simply is his son's passion... I mean... The whole dueling having a negative stigma while hunting is glorified it slightly unfair.

And yet the person who imagined the code figured people at war would have the time for frivolous duels? Still, admitting you are right, why doesn't Dalinar mentally link the reasons behind forbidding dueling (creates useless injuries) to hunting (creates useless injuries and deaths)? Especially since we have yet to see someone get injured in those duels...

I guess one activity benefits his nephew and himself as he loves hunting while the other simply is his son's passion... I mean... The whole dueling having a negative stigma while hunting is glorified it slightly unfair.

To have duels you only need officers with weapons and some hours of free time. To have hunts, you need officers with weapons who can reliably take a day off in the middle of a war, plus something worth hunting.

Also, I wouldn't be so hard on Dalinar. He isn't a very... flexible fellow when he puts an idea in his head. He probably just accepted what the Codes told and didn't truly made the connections. Perhaps that is where Renarin got his inability to accept becoming a scholar from?

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

And, really, the hunt wasn't supposed to be very dangerous. Sure, there's the potential, if something goes wrong, but it didn't seem like that was something the characters assumed to be very likely. They wouldn't have set up a party pavilion for the pampered lighteyed hangers-on if anyone did. We ourselves do things that have the potential to be very dangerous if they go wrong, every day. Cars are incredibly dangerous if something goes wrong (and it does, all the time: there are tons of deaths from car accidents), but rarely does anyone think twice about hopping in a car. 

And yet the two hunts we see in books ended up badly. Adolin also speaks of having seen a Whitespine in action. 

I find it an odd coincidence all the hunts we have been privy to caused many deaths while all the duels we have seen struggle to cause a bruise...