In the past, there were many who said that flight through space was a fool's dream. Not because the world above the heavens was unreachable, or thought to not exist (for already people had visited other planets via the Cognitive Realm), but because there was no point to it. Why travel through the void of space to Roshar from Scadrial when one could simply travel through the world of the collective mind and bypass it entirely?

Of course, many said that the pursuit of knowledge was reason enough, but in the end what drove the humans of the Cosmere to the stars was the need for raw materials. Scadrial in particular, so advanced and so greedy, ran out of commercially viable metal within five centuries of the world's rebirth. How could the world function without metal for computers, or for structures, or for Allomancers?

Metal was transported to the world, harvested from the others. Scadrial became a parasite, a great beast that devoured the flesh of the other planets to sate its ravenous hunger. But the trade was two-way, and as Scadrial grew and grew, so too did the other inhabited planets, their own appetites increasing a hundredfold over the course of a few decades.

Eventually, something threatened to give, and when it did, only one of two things could happen: War between worlds, or expansion through the stars. Though tensions rose high between the worlds, co-operation was preferred to outright war. And so began not an arms race, but a space race; war by other means. Governments and businesses alike poured what little they had remaining into research and engineering, designing great behemoths to traverse the astral sea, each with a single goal: To rise above their competitors, and to become the sole entity able to exploit the galaxy's resources.

As the situation developed, barriers fell away between races and worlds. Strength through unity and diversity: Forgery to grant powers. Allomancy and Feruchemy, implanted with Hemalurgy to create drives for a ship. Voidbringing to scan for suitable worlds to mine. Elantrians to heal and mend both flesh and metal. Awakeners for all the little tasks that would cost a fortune to employ an army of humans for. And finally, Surgebinders to knit the individual pieces together, and make them a whole. It is the greatest irony that such cohesion only came about through competition.

But with competition, naturally, comes about subterfuge. The value of such a project is so high that most, if not all of the players in the game have a budget devoted solely to hacking, copying and deleting the plans of their opponents. In some cases, this silent war has turned violent, with even scientists and engineers turned into casualties.

The Heron Industries Mining Concern is at present one of the leaders in the race, but they are beset on all sides. The launch of their first ship has been planned for months, and security has been heavily Invested in. All that remains is to obtain a worthy crew for their ship's maiden voyage, preferably ones loyal to The Heron Mining Corporation, and not to their enemies. Of course, there is a slight problem with this; if any do slip through the net, then it will be down to the crew to find these traitors before they disrupt the mission.

The crew will be alone in the depths of space, unable to call on help, with nothing but their own skills and wits to rely on. May Adonalsium help them all.

...It's that time of the year, folks! Yes, that time where Wyrm bites off even more than he can chew than usually and runs an SE game. For those also playing Heirs, I will prioritise dealing with this over Heirs, but it shouldn't come up much due to the Cycles being 4 days each and them having different times.

General Rules

This plays like a standard game of Elimination. There will be several Traitors sprinkled within the crew, who collaborate on a Google Doc, and the game follows a standard sequence of Day/Night Shifts, with votes being taken in the day, and most actions taking place at Night.

Each Day, a lynch will occur if one player has two or more votes, with no lynch occurring in the event of a tied vote. Each Night, the Traitors will be able to kill a player by using an Action. The game continues until either all the Traitors are dead, or the Traitors can successfully overpower and lynch the Captain, either through outnumbering the living loyal crewmembers, or by tricking them and succeeding in voting to lynch him.

The game will begin on Friday the 30th of October at 9PM, GM's timezone (GMT). Days and Nights will both take 48 hours each. It will start on a Day Turn.

Roles

Disclaimer: The Heron Industries Mining Concern does not guarantee the presence of all Roles within your game. Additional Roles may be purchased for £12.99 +P&P.

• Captain  - Played by the GM, he is the target for the Eliminators. As a focal point for the powers stored in the ship's Sharddrive, he has many abilities and cannot simply be killed by the Traitors at Night. He cannot vote, be targeted by abilities, and he has no actions, but he can be lynched.
  • Hemalurgic Intelligence - At the beginning of the game, after Roles have been distributed, a player at random will be killed off and made into the HI. The HI is a publicly known Role, and starts off as a loyal crew member. Hemalurgically bound to the computer systems aboard the ship, the HI is in full control of the ship's functions. But while the HI is mechanical, it still possesses a human's psyche, and cannot devote its mind totally to any one task. Each Night, it may watch a player as they carry out their shift, and discover that player’s Role. Without a physical presence, the HI cannot be killed, targeted or affected by Roles, and its vote cannot be used to overpower the Captain. When all the loyal Hemalurgists on the station are dead, the AI is subverted to the side of the Traitors and will join their doc. The crew will not be informed of this.
  • Voidbringer - Once a forbidden art, but still empowered by rage, Voidbringing gives the power to see things beyond mortal sight, most notably the future. A Voidbringer cannot be killed at Night if they use this ability. Indeed, any kill action targeting them is cancelled automatically, and never even happens. The attempted-killer will be informed that they could not find their target. The Voidbringer will not be aware of this.
  • Surgebinder - Surgebinders create connections between things in a variety of ways. Most importantly for the crew, the presence of Surgebinding allows the use of PMs between players. This may only be done during the Night shift, but otherwise has no restrictions. In addition to that, the Surgebinder can anonymously send a message to the GM each Night to post with the writeup.
  • Elantrian - Elantrians are versatile and powerful, but aboard the ship, their role is to act as the doctor and medic. An Elantrian is able to use the AonDor to heal people of any injuries they may have, and so can protect a player of their choice each Night. This includes themselves. A player saved in this way will be revealed in the writeup.
  • Forger - The Forger may Forge the soul of any player, giving them a new history and changing them from within. At Night, a Forger may bestow a dead player’s Role onto a player. This removes the player’s old Role, if any. They cannot remove a player’s Role without giving them a new one (No Powers does not count as a Role). While the Forger can Forge themselves (or another Forger) into a different Role, they will no longer be able to Forge afterwards. Forgers are given a list of available Roles at the beginning of the Night. If multiple Forgers attempt to Forge the same Role, one will succeed and the rest will fail, chosen at random.
  • Feruchemist - The Feruchemist has many skills, but like the Terrismen of old, they tend to favour being thoughtful and persuasive over being aggressive. Their Feruchemy gives them great ability to debate, to inform and to cajole. Each Day, they may change a player’s vote as they wish (to another player, or even to no vote). This player must have voted. They may target themselves.
  • Mistborn - A Mistborn is a force of nature that few can stand up to. On a ship of dangerous individuals, it is they who rise above the others in terms of combat skill, due to the metal hulk and advanced weaponry propelling their Allomancy to new heights. They are there to protect the crew from threats both outside the ship (if any are discovered) and inside it. Due to the high tensions on the ship, and the situation, no-one would really blame them for being a bit too proactive about removing threats.
  • Kandra - By hiding their true form with synthetic skin from the medbay and treading lightly, Kandra are able to use their Mimicry to go unnoticed by almost everyone, to discover anything suspicious on ship. They can use this ability to discover one player’s Alignment each Night.
  • BioChromancer - The Awakening of (usually organic) objects is used on the ship primarily to perform several useful but dull tasks, such as tidying away waste or cooking. Once per Day, you can ‘forget’ to put ‘caution: wet floor’ signs down and trip a player up, landing them in the infirmary for the following Night. Note that they cannot roleblock other Awakeners, or Feruchemists.
  • Hemalurgist - Though granted no powers, the extensive knowledge that is required to use the negative art of Hemalurgy gives anyone trained in it incredible mastery over Scadrialian technology, particularly those empowered by a soulspike. When all loyal Hemalurgists are dead or have had their abilities removed by Forgery, the HI will go rogue and join the Traitor team. If a Hemalurgist is Forged after this, they will be informed that the HI is subverted.
  • No Powers - Not all players are Invested strongly enough to have abilities, but they can still gain them from a helpful Forger at a later date.

Head of Departments

(Or: The GM and Spectators)

1. Captain Wurum Heron - Wyrmhero
  2. Chief Engineer Karsten Arnkell - Kasimir
  3. Quartermaster Joel Tormander - The Only Jo
  4. Head of Personnel Haede Labr Heatherlocke - M’Hael
  5. Security Chief Erik Halm - Seonid
  6. Chief Medical Officer Teraan Moire - twelfthrootoftwo
  7. Research Director Biggoron

Quick Links

Crew Manifest

1. Jack (IrulelikeSTINK) - A rules lawyer's client on a mission.
  2. Gaius Tekiel (Orlok)
  3. Adelor Ien Far-Astra (Alfa)
  4. Wynde Wilson (little wilson) - A woman afraid of airlocks.
  5. Winnie the Pooh (Kipper)
  6. James T Slade (Bridge Boy) - An enseign with delusions of Spook.
  7. Inor Haze (Creccio)
  8. Pork (Paranoid King) - A pilot and board game fanatic.
  9. Miral (Mailliw73) - Excited to be exploring the Cosmere.
  10. Aikios Davar (Venture Mistborn) - A descendant of Nan Balat.
  11. Cor Mordero (Alvron) - Petty Officer, in both rank and nature.
  12. Arandar (Araris Valerian)
  13. Rae Nova (Arraenae) - Possibly a death-seeker
  14. Brega Daghar (The Honey Badger) - A man looking for opportunities.
  15. Citoan Vinid (Shallan) - A naturally non-Allomancer who loves Allomancy
  16. Obsidibus Caesis Dormiam (phattemer)
  17. Volke (TheMightyLopen)
  18. First of Dawn (Adavantos)
  19. Kaid (Kaid)
  20. Doctor McClay (Clanky)
  21. Neil Weakarm (polkinghorndb)
  22. Elby (Elbereth)
  23. Hellscythe (DeathClutch19)
  24. Steph (QueenSteph)
  25. The High Priest of Elkanah (Elkanah)
  26. Dow (Dowanx)
Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

I will be signing up! What are the stances on PM's for this game?

PMs can only be carried out while a Surgebinder is alive (you will be told if all of them are dead), and only at Night. Other than that, they may be used freely.

Yes. Just so much yes to this one. I call HI if possible.

I will sign up as James T. Slade, a new ensign in the space fleet, but is too handsome for his own good, as well as constantly talking to his imaginary friend Spook. Not sure he's fully sane.

(Best HI ever :mellow:)

Is there no limit to how many players can be in a PM?

Considering you are playing as the Captain, will you speak in the thread as a player?

Can an Elantrian use their ability on themselves?

Can Forgers Forge more Forgers once a Forger has died making a Forger army?

You say that Mistborns protect people, but is it a protection against Kills on a target or against any actions on a target? Will their mecha-suit ever break?

Is there no limit to how many players can be in a PM?

Considering you are playing as the Captain, will you speak in the thread as a player?

Can an Elantrian use their ability on themselves?

Can Forgers Forge more Forgers once a Forger has died making a Forger army?

You say that Mistborns protect people, but is it a protection against Kills on a target or against any actions on a target? Will their mecha-suit ever break?

Briefly: Technically, not in-character, yes, no, that's a misunderstanding.

More in depth:

1. The only restriction on PMs is that they must be done at Night, and a Surgebinder must be alive. ...I guess there's technically also the limit that 17th Shard has on the number of people in PMs, whatever that number is. How about this? There must be at least one player in a PM. I shall be very annoyed if I find anyone breaking that rule >>. Standard PM rules also apply though - No copy and pasting unless it's into a Google Doc because you're a Traitor.
  2. I will not. I am basically an NPC, and my only input on the thread between Cycles will be to clarify rules.
  3. I ummed and ahhed about this for a while before posting the rules, but to clarify, Elantrians can use their ability on themselves.
  4. When a Role is Forged onto a player, it is removed from the list of available Roles. As such, if the game starts with two Forgers, there can only ever be, at most, two Forgers.
  5. Sorry, Mistborn have no defensive capabilities. They are a Vigilante, not a Doctor. The 'protection' stuff is just basically fluff because they're space cops. Let's put it this way - They're protective Roles, if you only consider protection to be killing threats before they hurt anyone :P.
Edited by Wyrmhero

When you say that the person being affected by the Feruchemist must have voted, is that by the end of the cycle? When the Feruchemist sent in the order? 

End of the Day Turn. I'm not keeping track of when things happen, just if they do.

This is such a perfect game for Maw. But I don't know if I risk him being evil again. Okay, got it. Maw has begun associating with Miral, a young man, excited to explore the cosmere, and is sending him on the ship.

Edited by Mailliw73

In Long Games here, the day and night are split into two different "turns" and each has their own thread. During the day, it's the same as normal, discussions and voting, and the occasional role that gets to be used during the day. At night, there is a thread, but what happens most often is that hardly anyone posts during the night. That's when the majority of actions are taken.

Edit: Wyrm, just to be clear, Engineers and Hemalurgists are the same thing, yes? And can Voidbringers use their ability every night?

Edited by Mailliw73

really would like to play this game but know I really do not have the time to actually play (as much as it pains me to let Wilson get a potential lead on claiming the Dodo award). So I think I shall be sitting this one out. May I spectate, Wyrm?

My first game with Wilson....

Not quite. You played MR6 and MR8, both of which I was in (though for a very short period of time in both games, since Gamma decided to vigilante-Coinshoot me on N1 ( :angry:) and the eliminators decided I was too much of a threat and needed to die on N2).

(as much as it pains me to let Wilson get a potential lead on claiming the Dodo award)

Potential lead? You think people won't try to kill me after LG14? No, I'd be shocked if I'm not dead by Cycle 4. In fact, I will be highly disappointed. I embrace my inevitable death. In fact, I seek it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to look in the death's face and say "Take me."

Potential lead? You think people won't try to kill me after LG14? No, I'd be shocked if I'm not dead by Cycle 4. In fact, I will be highly disappointed. I embrace my inevitable death. In fact, I seek it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to look in the death's face and say "Take me."

And there's my cue.

Petty Officer Cor Mordero signing up.

Edited by Alvron

really would like to play this game but know I really do not have the time to actually play (as much as it pains me to let Wilson get a potential lead on claiming the Dodo award). So I think I shall be sitting this one out. May I spectate, Wyrm?

Seconded. I've realised that my motivation to work is at an all-time low this semester and SE games just encourage self-destructive, procrastinative behaviour in myself. Requesting spec doc as well, Chief.

can you post during the night?

You may.

Edit: Wyrm, just to be clear, Engineers and Hemalurgists are the same thing, yes? And can Voidbringers use their ability every night?

Yes, they are, I thought I fixed all that. Has been edited in the rules now though.

Voidbringers can use their ability every night - They are Bulletproofs, and can only be killed by the lynch.

Edited by Wyrmhero