Shadows of Self Tour: Edinburgh

BlackYeti

So I've now got back from the signing in Edinburgh yesterday, and I recorded the audio again.

I really enjoyed this one, and I was able to stay to the end this time so I was able to ask a lot more questions this time. Brandon gave short answers to them so I got through a lot more that I expected to, with the result that I hadn't actually prepared enough questions :(.

So my questions, quoted verbatim, were as follows:

Q. Regarding Vasher, what was his name before he returned?

A. That is a RAFO, but just a minor one. Vasher's past is a factor in Nightblood the book, and so I'm staying away from all answers about that.

Q. In the Final Empire, Kelsier says that it will take 300 years before atium grows back in the Pits of Hathsin. How does he know this?

A. I think it is mentioned somewhere else how long it takes a crystal to regrow, and he's just basing it on the past, when a crystal is damaged, how long it takes one to come back. I'm pretty sure that that is even mentioned somewhere, but if not, that's just how he knows.

Q. With most magic systems, you've said that you need some sort of gap in your soul for the investiture to get in. On Nalthis, there's obviously a bit that they can give away. Is this how Vasher is able to get Stormlight?

A. Yeah. (Brandon looked like he was going to expand on this, but he just repeated yeah instead.)

Q. Suppose you had a full feruchemist, who got enough breath to reach the fifth Heightening. What would happen if he started storing in atium?

A. (Laughs) I'm going to RAFO that one.

Q. Kandra, you're not getting any more of those. But they can die, so what's stopping them from creating new creating new Kandra out of the mistwraith by recycling the Blessings?

A. That is mostly just cultural. (As we were leaving, after I'd turned the recording off, Brandon expanded on this a bit. So this next part's not verbatim, but he said that in The Bands of Mourning, we might expect to see Kandra using other Kandra's spikes.)

Q. You've said before that the Horneaters are hybrids, half-human...

A. Not really half any more, but yeah.

Q. Are there any other hybrid creatures, would you consider the Koloss-blodded to be this?

A. Not really, I don't consider them, but the Herdazians also have a bit of Parshendi in them.

Q. With regards to the Dor, whereabouts is it located exactly in regards to the Realms?

A. Oh you're the first person to ask this one. It is in the Cognitive Realm. I think you might be the first one to crack that one. So, that's something that I've been dancing around for a while, waiting 'til people started to figure that one out. That's not where most of them are.

That was the last prepered question, so this next one I made up on the spot and as a result it is really bad.

Q. There's some similarity in the effect of Hemalurgy and the Dakhor magics. What would happen if you were to try combining the two?

A. You would have some pretty evil dude, I would expect.

Q. With regards to the Dor, whereabouts is it located exactly in regards to the Realms?

A. Oh you're the first person to ask this one. It is in the Cognitive Realm. I think you might be the first one to crack that one. So, that's something that I've been dancing around for a while, waiting 'til people started to figure that one out. That's not where most of them are.

So Weiry's deduction was correct, it seems. Pretty cool!

I wonder if one could take a chunk of the Dor somehow (maybe find a way to make a big-enough Seon?) and use that to power Dor-based Investiture on other Shardworlds.

Edited by skaa

So Weiry's deduction was correct, it seems. Pretty cool!

I wonder if one could take a chunk of the Dor somehow (maybe find a way to make a big-enough Seon?) and use that to power Dor-based Investiture on other Shardworlds.

Yeah that's not the first time he's mentioned that the Dor is in the Cognitive Realm, he mentioned it at the Firefight release party.

Q. With most magic systems, you've said that you need some sort of gap in your soul for the investiture to get in. On Nalthis, there's obviously a bit that they can give away. Is this how Vasher is able to get Stormlight?

A. Yeah. (Brandon looked like he was going to expand on this, but he just repeated yeah instead.)

What did you mean here? I think I know, but I want to be clear.

What did you mean here? I think I know, but I want to be clear.

Basically, I meant that since the soul is divided into two separate parts: the Breath that can be given away, and the remainder that can't, the gap that the Stormlight could get in through would be between these two parts.

I could have sworn we knew, for sure, that the Dor was in the Cognitive Realm. That fact is central and 100% completely necessary to several of my theories of how Odium is able to shatter Shards.