What would you choose as your Twinborn Combination?

Moash

After looking through the Ars Arcanum and thinking of combinations, I wanted to ask this question. If you could choose to be a twinborn, which two abilities would you have? 

Ps: Compounding is allowed

Personally If I could choose, I would be a steel compounder, that combination is my favourite one out there.

Other cool compounds would be Pewter, Gold, or Zinc

Don't we already have a topic like this?

If Compounding is aloud, then I'd definitely choose Zinc. I'd finally be able to think of those clever comebacks on the spot, and in general, being way ahead of everyone else in the room at all times would be a really good feeling.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Honestly, though, I'd probably choose Zinc Compounding over being Mistborn. :ph34r:

Edited by Lindel

Chromium compounder is the standard choice, infinite luck is hard to pass up.

But I'd go with Nicrosil Compounder because then I'd finally know what Nicrosil does feruchemically.

Mat Cauthon is a chromium compounder who worldhopped to Randland.

Don't we already have a topic like this?

If Compounding is aloud, then I'd definitely choose Zinc. I'd finally be able to think of those clever comebacks on the spot, and in general, being way ahead of everyone else in the room at all times would be a really good feeling.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Honestly, though, I'd probably choose Zinc Compounding over being Mistborn. :ph34r:

There have probably been dozens of these threads, unfortunately I have not found any recently, and with the release of the long awaited mistborn sequel, I think this is more relevant than ever.

I love how the Lord Ruler held all allomantic powers as a mistborn, and he could compound everything and anything. All the different stuff he could do when he felt like it.

Like compound Bendalloy and turn himself into a really fat old guy?

Like compound Bendalloy and turn himself into a really fat old guy?

Exactly! All the stuff he could do, that guy had way too much time on his hands. He really procrastinated a ton didn't he?

Although thinking about it, are you able to store and use more than one feruchemic attribute at a time? If he removed the metalminds keeping him immortal, he's obviously dead. He would then never be able to try other stuff because removing the metalminds would destroy him. Do you know if you can use more than one set of metalminds at once?

If I know about Hemalurgy: Steelrunner Nicroburst, and I'd likely become a serial killer...

If no Hemalurgy: Skimmer Thug and I'd become the ultimate professional athlete.

If I know about Hemalurgy: Steelrunner Nicroburst, and I'd likely become a serial killer...

If no Hemalurgy: Skimmer Thug and I'd become the ultimate professional athlete.

Isn't the trilogy following wax and wayne about a mistborn serial killer?

I also heard hoid will be a major protagonist of the space opera mistborn trilogy.

Exactly! All the stuff he could do, that guy had way too much time on his hands. He really procrastinated a ton didn't he?

Although thinking about it, are you able to store and use more than one feruchemic attribute at a time? If he removed the metalminds keeping him immortal, he's obviously dead. He would then never be able to try other stuff because removing the metalminds would destroy him. Do you know if you can use more than one set of metalminds at once?

He healed plenty of times, so he's used Atium and goldminds at the same time at least.

Sazed specifically says he can Store multiple Attributes simultaneously while awake, but only 1 while asleep (Wakefulness). We also see him use Strength and Weight together many times when he's acting as a doorstop, so I see no reason that all 16 couldn't be used simultaneously.

That said, it's possible only 1 attribute can be compounded (IE: 1 Feruchemical battery burned to generate extra power) at a time even though all 16 can be tapped at once/15 stored at once. I don't know of any reason this would be the case, but we have no information either way.

Edit: typing errors

Edited by LabRat

Allowing me to jump on the Double Zinc train. With the recent WoB that it actually increases your intelligence (allowing you to make leaps you could not before) rather than just allow you to think faster, I can't think of a more handy metal in my daily life.

Also, it's pretty cheap to Compound (1/3rd the cost of steel by weight according to some napkined numbers)! Gold Compounders are likely to encounter problems.

Allowing me to jump on the Double Zinc train. With the recent WoB that it actually increases your intelligence (allowing you to make leaps you could not before) rather than just allow you to think faster, I can't think of a more handy metal in my daily life.

Also, it's pretty cheap to Compound (1/3rd the cost of steel by weight according to some napkined numbers)! Gold Compounders are likely to encounter problems.

Depends if you're in the cosmere or on earth, I'm sure you could think of a way to make enough money to get the gold you need if you're the only one. Like selling your organs multiple times :P

That said if that's true about zinc then I might switch too, can you link me?

If you're looking for complete world dominance then double zinc would be your friend but where would the fun be in that, it almost seems like cheating. I would personally choose either steel or pewter for allomancy and copper for feruchemy so i get a good physical boost and a mental one but life still has it's fun challenges.

Depends if you're in the cosmere or on earth, I'm sure you could think of a way to make enough money to get the gold you need if you're the only one. Like selling your organs multiple times :P

That said if that's true about zinc then I might switch too, can you link me?

Alterodent: With zinc, you get mental speed. How is that any different from steel, except without [physical] speed?

A: I think of the mental speed actually turning you into... Let's say you sped up your body, and you wanted to figure out some really complex equations.

Q: So it lets you have intuitive leaps.

A: Right. It basically turns you into Ken Jennings. That's how I imagine it.

Kurk: So it's not like bullet time?

A: No... It'll bullet time a little bit, it certainly will, because you're thinking faster than everyone else, but it has applications beyond bullet timing. Bullet time is really-

Kurk: That’s steel’s thing?

A: That’s kind of steel's thing. They overlap on that one, because the steel thing... But yeah. It's more like "I think fast, but my reaction speed is not sped up".

(source)

If you're looking for complete world dominance then double zinc would be your friend but where would the fun be in that, it almost seems like cheating. I would personally choose either steel or pewter for allomancy and copper for feruchemy so i get a good physical boost and a mental one but life still has it's fun challenges.

Double Zinc Compounders still have challenges, it's just that the things they find challenging are much much more difficult. You could easy-mode things, but I expect someone with double zinc would end up working at the cutting edge of whatever it is they work in. For example, an engineer working on a spacecraft requiring advanced new features, a programmer working on advanced computer vision applications, that kind of thing. Anything requiring invention/innovation.

I wonder if it helps with art? Could definitely see it helping poets and writers (writing good prose is in some regard just the product of painstaking amounts of thought), though I'm less sure on painters/sculptors/workers of that nature.

Edited by Moogle

I've been on the double Zinc train since I first thought of waning to be a Compounder. For me, the whole Rioting thing would be a sideshow. I'm after the mental speed. But my goals with it would be rather mundane - I'd want it so I could work out the details of my worldbuilding better and tighter, and to lower the negative impact of distractions on my work. I'd also use it some in my physics research, too. Doing tensor calculus in my head would be extremely useful for that.

Storing stuff is so perfect. Need to cool off? Drain some warmth. Need to warm up? Tap it. Insomnia strikes? Store wakefulness. Getting tired before a test? Tap it.

I do believe that's more or less where the inspiration for feruchemy came from.

Wakefulness is such an awesome power . . . I swear my mother has it, she can work for ages but can lie down for a bit and is instantly out cold.

As much as I like to think about being a Coinshot, the truth of the matter is that I have terrible vertigo and would probably never be able to get the hang of it.

So...bendalloy Allomancy, for stealing some extra time when I'm in a cosplay crunch.

Brass Feruchemy, because I'm never the right temperature.

Double Zinc Compounders still have challenges, it's just that the things they find challenging are much much more difficult. You could easy-mode things, but I expect someone with double zinc would end up working at the cutting edge of whatever it is they work in. For example, an engineer working on a spacecraft requiring advanced new features, a programmer working on advanced computer vision applications, that kind of thing. Anything requiring invention/innovation.

I wonder if it helps with art? Could definitely see it helping poets and writers (writing good prose is in some regard just the product of painstaking amounts of thought), though I'm less sure on painters/sculptors/workers of that nature.

Hmmm...actually this gets me to wonder about how Zinc feruchemy works with the ability to learn stuff: From what Brandon said in the WoB you linked it makes you smarter and still speeds up your perceptions as we iniatially understood it(He said it bullet times"a little bit" so if you compound it à la Miles with Gold you would still have full fledged Bullet time with hours to think in seconds)so does it also speed up your learning process making you capable to learn and understand stuff on the fly ? If so I do not see the Zinc compounder sticking with one field of study, especially if the compounder is very smart without tapping.

Another thing which comes from this WoB is that Steel Compounders have Bullet time which means that they have all the time they need to think things through, implying  they could potentially tap speed without moving to get accelerated perceptions and have time to think things through, which makes such compounders even scarier.

As for what I would pick, well Zinc of course especially now with Steel as close second not considering gold as it cost too much money, as we're not on Scadrial.

Also apparently other types of combinations seem possible according to this thread

Wonder if having multiple Allomantic and Feruchemic powers is too.

Double chromium!

Sap an Allomancers metal supply and infinite luck.

I hope Brandon writes one into this series.

So basically you could essentially sap anyone because somehow your luck would allow it. A coinshot is flying up in the sky, lands on a building, looks down on you. Suddenly a hurricane whips up and tosses him to the ground, he then pulls out two guns and fires away, but somehow as you calmly walk towards him, about to wipe his metals from him, his bullets keep missing, and his guns get jammed. Would double chromium be that stupidly overpowered?