Math and science

Silverblade5

I'm (or am about to be in the following month) an electrical engineer. I used to convert coordinates from cartesian system to spherical one at 3 am, then I upgraded and solved power system equations using Newton Raphson Method (God! That was 9 pages long ), finally I decided I should design a transformer which was plug and chug.(someone teach me autoCAD, I would love to show some graphics). Now, I think I shall be going to a computer company writing codes in Java or Python (that's the job I got last November).It is the fate of most of non-CS engineers here.

Here (in my hometown) when I say I am an electrical engineer, people assume either of the two things:

i) I am an electrician with a bachelor's degree.

ii) I am one of those utility section people who spend their days lying in substation control rooms (which have switchgear protection and control mechanism regarding transformers, and general supply you are receiving) and come out of their slumber only when some fault occurs.

I don't mind the second, to be honest, I even like it. But the first one irritates me. Electrical engineering is just so much more than what a local electrician does. Yes, he can repair your motors and fans, but even they don't know the principles behind their work. We know why each component is there in the place.

Edited by Hood
Clarification

On 6/20/2017 at 0:30 PM, Hood said:

I'm (or am about to be in the following month) an electrical engineer. I used to convert coordinates from cartesian system to spherical one at 3 am, then I upgraded and solved power system equations using Newton Raphson Method (God! That was 9 pages long ), finally I decided I should design a transformer which was plug and chug.(someone teach me autoCAD, I would love to show some graphics). Now, I think I shall be going to a computer company writing codes in Java or Python (that's the job I got last November).It is the fate of most of non-CS engineers here.

Here (in my hometown) when I say I am an electrical engineer, people assume either of the two things:

i) I am an electrician with a bachelor's degree.

ii) I am one of those utility section people who spend their days lying in substation control rooms (which have switchgear protection and control mechanism regarding transformers, and general supply you are receiving) and come out of their slumber only when some fault occurs.

I don't mind the second, to be honest, I even like it. But the first one irritates me. Electrical engineering is just so much more than what a local electrician does. Yes, he can repair your motors and fans, but even they don't know the principles behind their work. We know why each component is there in the place.

Nice. What's your concentration?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Oversleep said:

And... what is it that you want explained?

I mean, if you make a table of truth, you can see why is that working:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/computer_logical_organization/images/demorgan_theorem2_table.jpg

I've been trying to find a proof, but can't figure out a good way to google, so I figured I'd ask for one here. I understand the laws, I just want to be able to see a derivation.

• 1 month later...

Challenge: Using the given values, define a function for f(x, y), then evaluate f(4, 3)
Given: f(x, y) is defined recursively
          f(1, y) = f(2, y-1)
Hint: Values can easily be found by differentiating a certain trig function many times over.

f(1, 1) = 1   f(1, 2) = 2   f(1, 3) = 16
f(2, 1) = 2   f(2, 2) = 16  f(2, 3) = 272
f(3, 1) = 4   f(3, 2) = 88  f(3, 3) = 2880
f(4, 1) = 8   f(4, 2) = 416 f(4, 3) = 24576
f(5,1) = 16  f(5, 2) = 1824
f(6, 1) = 32 

In 5 or 6 hours, I will post the answer.

Edited by Silverblade5

22 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

No, I mistyped the target. Evaluate at f(4,4)

Ugh... I got the

Spoiler

f(x,y) = A * 2^(x+y-2)

for y=1 A=1

but I haven't figured out what A is yet. Is what I got so far correct at least?

I've made some progress with y=2 but not much more.

Edited by Overstorm

6 hours ago, Overstorm said:

Ugh... I got the

Hide contents

f(x,y) = A * 2^(x+y-2)

for y=1 A=1

That's not what I got. Hint: try differentiating the tangent function a few times. I'll post the actual answer tomorrow 

On September 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Overstorm said:

Ugh... I got the

Hide contents

f(x,y) = A * 2^(x+y-2)

for y=1 A=1

The function is f(x, y) = xf(x+1, y-1) + 2yf(x-1,y)

Psych IS a real science, but in many cases it is not good at replicating some erstwhile important results. 

I used to see chemists as ordinary scientists. But after watching The Periodic Videos Channel, I've got a paradigm shift. Now they are more like detonation experts in white suits and crazy hairstyles. 

You know it!!

Nah, they don't let us play with the good stuff yet, so if we make stuff go bang we're probably doing it wrong. We do manage to get our hands on dry ice to make bottle rockets every now and then though B)

Psyc is a bit of an odd one at the best of times, but I've just spent the last few days wading through neuroscience articles for research, so I'm feeling the science.