Math and science

Silverblade5

27 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

Ahh. Then perhaps you could explain to me the difference between the strong and weak nuclear forces?

If you ask me in a couple of weeks I'll be able to answer you better, we are studying that just now, but in a cualitative level strong force make the nucleus stable,(the protons will repel without it), the weak force is the responsible for the differents kinds of decays.

It has to do with the differents kind of quarks and particle so is fairly complicated.

Edited by Idealistic Mistborn
grammar

Just now, Idealistic Mistborn said:

If you ask me in a couple of weeks I'll be able to answer you better, we are studying that just now, but in a cualitative level strong force make the nucleus stable,(the protons will repel without it) the weak force is the responsible for the differents kinds of decays.

So, is the strong basically the summed gravitational force the different parts of the atom, specifically, neutrons and protons, exert on each other? Because you said it's responsible for holding it together.

13 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

So, is the strong basically the summed gravitational force the different parts of the atom, specifically, neutrons and protons, exert on each other? Because you said it's responsible for holding it together.

Although it is an atractive force it has nothing to do with gravitacional force, the mass of the nucleons is really small so the electromagnetic force should rip the nucleus apart but it is stable, that becouse of the strong force hold it together.

Sorry if my explanation is not clear, I don't understand it quite well yet, in a couple of week I'll be able to explain it better.

Edited by Idealistic Mistborn
grammar

46 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

Electromagnetism vs gravity is a good analogy, in a way. They're different forces that act at different scales. For small particles close together, electromagnetism overwhelms gravity; electrons are held in their orbits by the electromagnetic attraction to the nucleus. Gravity is the weakest, but when things get very far away and very large, it will dominate over electromagnetism.

But within the nucleus of an atom, there are behaviors that overcome both the force of gravity and the force of electromagnetism between the protons. These two forces, Strong and Weak, are responsible for the behavior of the nucleus. They do not have any observable impact outside the nucleus, but they explain why the nucleus holds together (when electromagnetism should hurl it apart), and why it sometimes breaks apart in very specific ways.

5 hours ago, Glamdring804 said:

Depends on the water coverage. If they have surface water comparable to Earth (60% ~ 75%) then they would look mostly blue, with swirls of white clouds, and bits of brown and green underneath. Less water would mean more brown and perhaps less white, and more water would mean more blue.

Their relative sizes in the night sky would depend on how far apart they are. I would assume you will want them to be roughly the size of Earth's moon when viewed from the planet. I'll do some calculations here in a minute as to how far they would be. If they orbit in a giant plus formation, meaning they all are the same distance from the mutual center of gravity, then they would be fixed distances apart in the sky, specifically, each one would be 45 degrees away from the other.

Yeah, the other three are basically Earth equivalent in water coverage, though one of them may be a little less or more. I'm not quite sure about the exact amount of water coverage on that one, because for the map I drew of it, which is based off of Earth's map, I took away some land, so there'd be more water, but I also added more land as well. I want to say I added more water than I did land, but it's probably not enough to have any noticeable impact on how it appears.

I just want to say, what would it take for an Earth-like planet to have a sky that isn't blue, and what effect would that have on how it appears from one of the other three?

I don't really want them to appear all the same size though. I know, based on the current system, that two of them will always appear the same size, but I want the other one to appear a different size. The "smallest" of the three moons should appear slightly larger than our moon. I'm not sure if that makes the other two too big, but tell me what you think.

Also, should I move this discussion to the Creator's Corner thread?

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Yeah, the other three are basically Earth equivalent in water coverage, though one of them may be a little less or more. I'm not quite sure about the exact amount of water coverage on that one, because for the map I drew of it, which is based off of Earth's map, I took away some land, so there'd be more water, but I also added more land as well. I want to say I added more water than I did land, but it's probably not enough to have any noticeable impact on how it appears.

I just want to say, what would it take for an Earth-like planet to have a sky that isn't blue, and what effect would that have on how it appears from one of the other three?

I don't really want them to appear all the same size though. I know, based on the current system, that two of them will always appear the same size, but I want the other one to appear a different size. The "smallest" of the three moons should appear slightly larger than our moon. I'm not sure if that makes the other two too big, but tell me what you think.

Also, should I move this discussion to the Creator's Corner thread?

Sure. I'll reply to this post there.

21 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

I'm going to update the OP with a list of go-to people for various subjects. So far, I've got @Glamdring804 for physics and @Chaos for math. Do we have anyone for biology or chemistry?

With an entire STEM forum I'm not sure how good it is to have a lot of this discussion siloed into just one topic?

35 minutes ago, Chaos said:

With an entire STEM forum I'm not sure how good it is to have a lot of this discussion siloed into just one topic?

That depends on how many people are gonna ask questions. If there are lots of them, then they'd make their own topics and link them in the main thread. Or they could tag people who are knowledgeable in that field.

55 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

That depends on how many people are gonna ask questions. If there are lots of them, then they'd make their own topics and link them in the main thread. Or they could tag people who are knowledgeable in that field.

True. I dunno, part of me feels weird about having a whole forum if the headline topic is half of what the forum is about xD

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

True. I dunno, part of me feels weird about having a whole forum if the headline topic is half of what the forum is about xD

I think part of it is just habit. People have been going to this thread for sciency and mathy things for years. Having resources listed at the top just allows people to more easily get more out of their visits by letting them know who to tag with questions.

Yes, but perhaps we should do things differently now as before we did not have a whole forum for such things.

Having a dedicated topic like this, I suspect, will stifle people from making new topics.

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yes, but perhaps we should do things differently now as before we did not have a whole forum for such things.

Having a dedicated topic like this, I suspect, will stifle people from making new topics.

Think of it this way: The General Discussion forum is for any thread that may be considered off topic anywhere else. It can host any topic. In that forum, there is the Random Stuff thread. The topic of the thread is ever changing, but is never against the thread itself. Any of the discussions in other threads in that forum could be hosted in the Random Stuff thread without being off topic. It is like a hub thread. Most of the other popular threads in the forum were created due to a high concentration of discussion on a certain topic in the Random Stuff thread. This thread is like the Random Stuff thread, but for the STEM forum.

On 2.06.2017 at 6:19 PM, Silverblade5 said:

I'm going to update the OP with a list of go-to people for various subjects. So far, I've got @Glamdring804 for physics and @Chaos for math. Do we have anyone for biology or chemistry?

You can put me down for biology. I'm willing to help up to the undergraduate degree level. If you need graduate level info, you'll need someone more clever. 

5 hours ago, jofwu said:

I'm a structural engineer, so if anyone is trying to build a tower... Kerbal Space Program has also taught me a lot about orbital mechanics and rockets. I suppose that's all captured by "classical physics". :)

What sepperates that from a Mechanical Engineer? Or a Civil Engineer?

27 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

What sepperates that from a Mechanical Engineer? Or a Civil Engineer?

My degree is in Civil. Practically speaking (in the industry) MEs generally handle think moving parts and CEs handle things like utilities, earthwork, drainage, etc. Structural Engineers make buildings and bridges.

At this point, most people say, "So like an architect?" which makes me squirm. :) Architects worry about things like building layout, function, aesthetic, etc. SEs are the ones who actually make it work. We decide how big this beam needs to be, what style of bracing to use there, or how many bolts to use in that connection. Architects are more well known because they're dealing with the parts people actually see. Nobody thinks about structural engineers until something collapses. :)

47 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

*Glances at title*

Isn't that what this is already?

It says it in the OP, but the title just says "Math and Science." Maybe we could change the title to make it more of a help thread than a general discussion thread, since we now have a whole forum.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Let k equal the following 543-digit integer:

960 939 379 918 958 884 971 672 962 127 852 754 715 004 339 660 129 306 651 505 519 271 702 802 395 266 424 689 642 842 174 350 718 121 267 153 782 770 623 355 993 237 280 874 144 307 891 325 963 941 337 723 487 857 735 749 823 926 629 715 517 173 716 995 165 232 890 538 221 612 403 238 855 866 184 013 235 585 136 048 828 693 337 902 491 454 229 288 667 081 096 184 496 091 705 183 454 067 827 731 551 705 405 381 627 380 967 602 565 625 016 981 482 083 418 783 163 849 115 590 225 610 003 652 351 370 343 874 461 848 378 737 238 198 224 849 863 465 033 159 410 054 974 700 593 138 339 226 497 249 461 751 545 728 366 702 369 745 461 014 655 997 933 798 537 483 143 786 841 806 593 422 227 898 388 722 980 000 748 404 719

Ah. Monkeys on typewriters it is!