Math and science

Silverblade5

Need any help with it? Come over here! Want to talk about it? This thread's for you! Want to hate on it? Go somewhere else because that's not what this thread is for. 

These people make excellent resources for help.

Math/Calc: Chaos

Classical Physics: Glamdring804

Micro/Nuclear Physics: Idealistic Mistborn

Chemistry: Pagerunner

Biology: Pestis the Spider

Circuits: Silverblade5

Edited by Silverblade5

Have any of you heard of a little book called "What If?" :ph34r:

It's one of the best science book I've ever read. Randall Munroe makes tough science interesting and easy to read. Also, despite, what the title says, not all questions are scientifically answered. Some of them are there as jokes... which is a good thing, I guess. 

My advice to math haters - Do not opt for electrical engineering, if you hate calculus. 

Or any field of engineering... The curriculum tend to go quite heavy on math, though you aren't require to use most of it on the work market. Funny how the simplest stuff ends up being the most relevant. Still, you need to advance stuff to understand what the heck you are doing.

I have roommates who are chemical engineer majors. I sat by them working through what I think was group theory for a P-chem class. I wanted to learn what in the world that was, but I had biology and math of my own to do. 

But I learned a beautiful proof for integrating e^(-x^2) over all real numbers. And they told me never to try in high school. Hah. (Yes, I'm aware that there is no antiderivative in closed form involving only elementary functions. But this proof is beautiful.) I'll post it later if I have time. 

From where did you all study calculus ? When I was learning Calculus, my book was below Stewart level. I mean, there were no epsilon-delta proofs. No formal definition of limits. All I know is that I memorized various formulae of derivatives, and integrals.

However, in college, I got Thomas and Finney (9th Ed.). That's pretty nice. It hooked me into mathematics. Though sadly I cannot practice it, because of the burdens of my own course. If I ever got time, I will definitely try my hand on Apostol. It's one of the best calculus books I've ever seen. 

Edited by Hood

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the maths I took in my undergrad attempt at an aerospace engineering major (really, I did). It was the calculus-based physics that got me in my Dynamics class. I did college in the mid 2000's and they were just starting to allow the internet to affect the format of some classes. My Dynamics class was one of those, you had to watch the lectures online, take a quiz based on the lecture, and then do 3+ hours of homework (I'm pretty sure it was a Monday, Wednesday, Friday class). Anyway, I did college 7 hours away from my parents house, so I had to work to pay rent. Let's just say that when you have to work a job for 25 - 30 hours a week, take a full course load of other engineering classes, and deal with a weed-out course that is assigning a minimum of 12 hours of work each week (outside of class), something is going to go wrong.

Try it, and you too can turn in a 4 question final emblazoned with the statement, "I give up. See you this summer." Oh and you might also end up majoring in accounting when you realize that you were terrible at force equations that you have to turn around and integrate. It was usually a pretty good indication that I was on the wrong track of a 'conservation of angular momentum' problem when the integral of my force equation required abstract algebra to solve.

If an atom loses an electron, does it become negative or positive..?? :D

Should be that it becomes a positively-charged ion, no? At least that's what we claimed at O levels, sorry :P [The idea being that by losing a negative charge, the atom, which initially has no net negative/positive charge, now becomes more strongly positively-charged than negative.]

Edited by Kasimir

I was always bad at dynamics. The concept of moment didn't really strike me.
Thank god, I got electrical engineering.
I once gave summers too. All because I lacked 0.25 marks from minimum. Still I did well, and got an A. Was first by a margin of 11 marks.
In summers the pace was very fast. Your pen fell down, and the next thing you know, the teacher is 10 pages ahead. Though, the paper was easy, at least to me. :D

Edited by Hood

I know it's a long shot but does anyone here know a lot about the reductive TCA cycle?

Nope! Soz!  :unsure:

But I will say that we're going over genetics in my Bio 111 class. I'm so excited! Genetics is by far my favorite part of Biology. It's incredibly interesting to see how the genotypes and phenotypes relate to each other. Especially with things like codominance and linked genes.  :lol: Yay for science!