Pocatello Signing 12-10-13

Lady Radagu

Oh, so it is more like surgery than general healing in this case, that makes sense. Thank you for your info! I wish your child would recover soon :)

Interesting bit about no unique codes, though, I think Peter recently wrote about 400 codes that were not entered yet, so those might be lost :(

Brandon only brings X number of unique codes with him for each event.  Once he gives all those out, he sometimes gives out cards with non-unique codes on them.

Edited by Shardlet

Brandon only brings X number of unique codes with him for each event. Once he gives all those out, he sometimes gives out cards with non-unique codes on them.

I see, thank you for explanation.

The question is, there are about 2^60 possible codes. Why have generic ones at all? Though I can guess several answers...

A "Stormborn" would be a godlike being, a single surge power are awesome, all surges that would be overkill.

A person that could "create" everything out of air, could fly, teleport, call rays from the sky, heal fast, move fast, cure mortal wounds, etc. basically a god =) 

Yeah but with the need for stormlight as a fuel it somewhat limits the overpoweredness. is it still outrageously powerfull? sure. But so was TLR with his compounding. Double gold is hard to beat. Compounded health, speed, strength and the mental speed to use them all? My money would be on TLR. dang, now that we know about compounding i'm bummed we didn't ever really get to see TLR in action. just that short bit with Kelsier. He didn't really do anything against Vin.

Yeah but with the need for stormlight as a fuel it somewhat limits the overpoweredness. is it still outrageously powerfull? sure. But so was TLR with his compounding. Double gold is hard to beat. Compounded health, speed, strength and the mental speed to use them all? My money would be on TLR. dang, now that we know about compounding i'm bummed we didn't ever really get to see TLR in action. just that short bit with Kelsier. He didn't really do anything against Vin.

I know it isn't quite the same, but over on steelministry.com we have a game running called futile efforts where we are trying to assassinate the lord Ruler. Herowannabe who is running it does awesome narration, including some from the lord Ruler's point of view, so if you want to see a bit more of him you can check it out. I've compiled the narration, cutting out all of the out of character comments in this thread if you feel like a fun read. ;)

(You don't need an account to view this campaign).

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

I only lurk here once every month or so and didn't realize there was a forum for signings until just now, but I did attend the Pocatello signing.  Man, you guys work too fast for me, I'm still reeling from all this new-to-me information about the previously unknown Orders and Surges and all that stuff.  Anyway, the questions I asked are probably incredibly newbish and you'll probably get no useful information from them at all (and I kind of tailored the questions I chose to ask since I didn't really want to just be RAFO'ed) but here's how it went:

Q1) You mention the phases of the moon fairly often in WoK--is this significant or something that we should be paying attention to?

A) After working with the Wheel of Time community and dealing a lot with fans wanting to know when certain events happened in regards to some other event, Brandon added in the phases of the moon in order to give dedicated fans a way of determining the chronology of the events of the Stormlight Archives.

Q2) Is there a pattern to Taravangian's stupid/smart cycle, or is it actually random?

A) His aides are convinced that it is random, but if you plotted it out, it's really a distribution curve that is only made to look random.

Q3) Dalinar, in one of his visions, sees the stars wink out one by one.  Are these the stars of other shardworlds and [brandon sort of interrupted me here to answer so the rest just kind of came out as a mumble] does this imply that the final Desolation is going to affect more than just Roshar?

A) "You earned yourself a RAFO card!"

Anyway, I'll check the giant list of questions to ask him next time I'm at a signing.

I only lurk here once every month or so and didn't realize there was a forum for signings until just now, but I did attend the Pocatello signing.  Man, you guys work too fast for me, I'm still reeling from all this new-to-me information about the previously unknown Orders and Surges and all that stuff.  Anyway, the questions I asked are probably incredibly newbish and you'll probably get no useful information from them at all (and I kind of tailored the questions I chose to ask since I didn't really want to just be RAFO'ed) but here's how it went:

Q1) You mention the phases of the moon fairly often in WoK--is this significant or something that we should be paying attention to?

A) After working with the Wheel of Time community and dealing a lot with fans wanting to know when certain events happened in regards to some other event, Brandon added in the phases of the moon in order to give dedicated fans a way of determining the chronology of the events of the Stormlight Archives.

Q2) Is there a pattern to Taravangian's stupid/smart cycle, or is it actually random?

A) His aides are convinced that it is random, but if you plotted it out, it's really a distribution curve that is only made to look random.

Q3) Dalinar, in one of his visions, sees the stars wink out one by one.  Are these the stars of other shardworlds and [brandon sort of interrupted me here to answer so the rest just kind of came out as a mumble] does this imply that the final Desolation is going to affect more than just Roshar?

A) "You earned yourself a RAFO card!"

Anyway, I'll check the giant list of questions to ask him next time I'm at a signing.

So the question now is: Does Mr. T know what the cycle is (on his good days anyway)?

Mmm...that phase of the moon thing really doesn't sound right to me. It's true the moon was used that way in the Wheel of Time, but the way the moons are used in Words of Radiance really has nothing to do with phases.

Peter: sorry, "phase" is the wrong word, and I don't think Brandon used the word phase either in his actual answer.  I guess he was more meaning which moon was up, etc.  Either way, his answer just seemed to indicate that you could use the moons to determine chronology.  Now you'll tell Brandon and he'll know I'm an idiot for messing up his answer! waaaaaa... ;)

I thought those two lights winking out represented the Splintering of the Shards on Sel by Odium.

“This isn’t just about you either,” the figure said, raising his hand into the air. A light winked out in the sky, one that Dalinar hadn’t realized was there. Then another winked out as well. The sun seemed to be growing dimmer.

“It’s about all of them,” the figure said. “I should have realized he’d come for me.”

I'm not sure how moon phases would help with figuring out the Chronology, since there are three of them, and we haven't been given the length of their revolutions around Roshar.  I did try to figure out how much time had passed from Kaladin's resolution at the Honor Chasm to the end of the book, but I just used the given lengths of time between events.  (Around 60-80 days.)

• 2 months later...