Modified Cover

ADIMORTIS

I like it slightly better than the old one, but I really really wish they wouldn't show character faces. It reminds me of the Wheel of Time art, which was genuinely terrible. Kaladin's pose just looks uncomfortable. I love the sky, though. Blue+orange might be overused but it doesn't stop me from liking it.

I'd kill for Jasnah+Shallan on a boat being the cover.

Edited by Moogle

Well, the Rambo-Kaladin is gone. That's a plus. The picture is a bit small to tell but I still don't think his face looks anything like how he's been described. And his pose is stranger than it was in the first cover.

I don't see any changes to the background which was already beautiful. I guess Whelan only worked on Kaladin.

I like this one better. Initially I thought the old one was Shallan! It's her flashback book, so I just assumed, but I had two more quick looks before I pulled it up fullscreen and figured out it was supposed to be a dude. The spear among other things should have made it obvious, but I was so excited I was hardly paying attention to that. Either way, he definitely looks a good bit more manly. Which is good. Because he is a man. 

Well I like the uniform on this one better but the huge font covers up too much of the storm. Now maladies leg looks to be in an awful position. Overall a wash on the last one for me.

Oh but is there a good closeup of the patch on his shoulder out there that might be bridge fours new one.

Edited by Looter

I'll have to get used to this one... I've had the original as my phone lock screen since August, so the new one looks kind of wrong to me for now. Is there a full painting spread yet? Because I really hope the Szeth on the pile of bodies has been modified.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

I like this way better than Rambodin (praise the Heralds the red bandana is gone, lol) since his face looks more normal and manly. I am sure we all picture him a little differently. For me, his hair and the left side of his face looks very close to my mental picture. The blue lighting on the right side of his face is kind of strange and makes him look old. I think the uniform looks better too. The pose is still rather awkward, though.

Overall, I'm glad they changed it.

Yeah, this is indeed a better Kaladin, altough I'm still a little dissapointed with the cover after the mind-blowing cover of the Way of Kings. I like the changes, but still wish Whelan had did something else. And Kaladin looks nothing like the guy I imagine. But that's of course not the fault of the artist :)

Yeah, I definitely hope the third version looks... rather different from this one. 

If I'm being honest, this cover feels like a step backwards. I really didn't like the first cover's Kaladin for a lot of reasons, and this one almost seems to have made it worse. The pose, especially through the shoulders seems very awkward and unclear. Why does his head seem to be floating strangely lower than it should be? And what's up with those linebacker shoulders? 

Ellie did a pose breakdown and then a quick digital fix and even just those few tweaks make the pose look better.

tumblr_mxheb2F6hs1qlqh85o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxhf49LtP51qlqh85o1_500.jpg

The uniform still looks very strange - but perhaps that's because I've become used to Exmakina's and Botanica's lovely portrayals of them. Ex's breakdown of Kaladin's uniform possibilities based on the Steelhunt chapter were all wonderful, and I like the one she's decided to go with a lot. (That would be the third one, btw. The one at the end is her original portrayal of the Kholin uniforms.)

tumblr_mvzftt52XP1rn8nkfo2_1280.jpg

Not even to mention what I thought was the reason that everyone had a problem with the first cover: Kaladin's physical appearance. I mean, he still looks so generically high-fantasy white-dude that I'm just sitting here wondering why the cover was being changed in the first place. And he certainly doesn't look like he's 19 years old, but honestly that's a more minor issue.

Perhaps the reaction to the first cover wasn't the same over here, but in my circles, there was a lot of angry talk about the white washing going on. In fact, most of us thought that the cover was being changed because of the physical inaccuracies of Kaladin in age and race. Uniform cuts and poses are matters of opinion, and while I'm not fond of those, I wouldn't be expecting a cover change. Actually depicting a character incorrectly and white washing them is something that I would think might warrant a cover fix, especially there were very vocal groups of the fans speaking against it.

The fact that the cover has been changed, and yet they did nothing at all to fix the most obvious problem is... really, really disappointing.

Come on. Brandon has done something so wonderful in creating a world with diversity where we have the majority of the characters who are not supposed to look "white" or "Caucasian." The least we can do is try to maybe reflect that in the official art? I mean, there's a reason we tend to harp on the fact that Alethi people have dark skin and just about everyone on Roshar outside of Shinovar has an epicanthic fold over their eyes.

Kaladin's a 20 year-old PoC. In fact, just about every single main character besides Szeth should be a PoC. Rosharans should not look like white people, end of story. There's plenty of fantasy stories out there with white dudes on the cover and between the pages.

What's great about Stormlight Archive is that it doesn't have them between the pages. Can we please not put them on the cover? 

I agree with Feather, particularly with regards to the whitewashing. Although I do want to note that while Kaladin is 19-20 in Roshar years, that translates to significantly older in Earth years. If a Roshar day is the same as an Earth day, and Rosharans age at the same relative age as us on Earth, then Kaladin is about 27 in Earth years. If neither of these is the case please correct me.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

I agree with Feather, particularly with regards to the whitewashing. Although I do want to note that while Kaladin is 19-20 in Roshar years, that translates to significantly older in Earth years. If a Roshar day is the same as an Earth day, and Rosharans age at the same relative age as us on Earth, then Kaladin is about 27 in Earth years. If neither of these is the case please correct me.

Where do you get this from? As far as I know, we do not have any information about the length of a Rosharan year. We know that there are ten months in a year, but not how long these months are. Would you care to elaborate?

I my be wrong but a think that one Roshar year are equivalent to 1,1 earth year, given the fact that they have hours with less minutes and days with less hours.

So Kaladin wold be 21/22 years old.

PS: Peter Ahlstrom said: "20 hours per day, and their hour is like a minute or two shorter than our hour." 

Which would make their Roshar year about 1.10 Earth years.

Edited by Natans