The Dysian Aimians - Made of "things put together"

Swimmingly

“I wonder if you could do that to a man. Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk. Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian.

-Hoid, Way of Kings, Gibletish

My question is, is Hoid giving an example of something that exists that is analogous to this (the Dysian Aimians) or is he giving an example of something that would exist if you did this to an Aimian, but doesn't actually exist? In the first case, it suggests that the Dysian Aimians were transformed somehow by an external entity (or by themselves) from human (do that to a man) stock. Either way, the conversation smells heavily of

hemalugy, in that is has to do with messing with an entity's identity and body "bloodily", as well as the ability of Lerasium to rewrite your spiritweb. Preservation's power created the mistwraiths from humans, establishing a precedent for this sort of thing.

I always read that as "something else like a Dysian Amian" not "put together into something else, like a Dysian Amian".

Meaning I read Dysian Amian as an example of something that is not human, but has all the same parts as a human, not that Dysian Amians can tear themselves into bloody chunks and put themselves back together. 

I always read that as "something else like a Dysian Amian" not "put together into something else, like a Dysian Amian".

Meaning I read Dysian Amian as an example of something that is not human, but has all the same parts as a human, not that Dysian Amians can tear themselves into bloody chunks and put themselves back together. 

Or their species was created by a shard out of human stock

Also, from the Rysn interlude in WoR:

“Do not feel for him, trademaster,” Kylrm said softly to her, steering her away from the dangling prisoner. “He could escape if he wants.”

Nlent, the other guard, nodded as they walked away. “They can take off their limbs you know. Take off their skin, too. No real body to them. Just something evil, taking human form.”

While there is clear bias and fear in the statements, I would suspect that there is more to it than merely a legend.

Edited by Shardlet

Axies is a Siah Aimian, I'm pretty sure just the Dysians (the more rare type) have the ability to take themselves apart and put themselves back together.  Most Rosharians rarely if ever see either type, so they get the facts a little jumbled. 

Yeah, I also get the impression that Aimians and Parshendi are a bit similar to Kandra and Koloss.  A Shard starts out with a human template, but after a certain amount of Investiture and modifications, the new beings don't quite count as human anymore.

• Chaos locked this topic